Check this Pet Sounds thread out

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David R. Modny, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець Thread Starter

Over in the rec.music.artists.beach-boys public forum, usenet newsgroup.

For some various comments from Mark Linett, regarding the album/CD, that might interest some here. It's the "Stereo Pet Sounds" thread.

2. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

How do we access this? Is is through newsgroups, or is there a web site that has it. I can't access newsgroups for some reason.

3. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

4. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець Thread Starter

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi David, Anna Nicole, :wave:

I prefer the mono to the stereo so I will pass on the surround sound.....

As for the 2001 remaster being almost identical to the DCC.... NOT.

Thanks for the thread, it was a fun (and entertaining) read,
    Jeffrey

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The issue (presumably a DVD-Audio) with the 5.1 remix will also have the original mono in 96KHz - 24bit. That could be worth it if done well.

Regards,

7. Matt

Matt New Member

That's pretty funky about the HDCD encoding going in and out throughout the 1999 CD.

I don't recall the DCC CD suggesting that the disc was cut flat (I believe DCC usually says "minimal equalisation," which to me means EQ that's needed and only what's needed), but regardless, the DCC CD is the best. The mastering on the box ain't shabby either, but not as great as the DCC.

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember Steve saying in "The Tracking Angle" that he used NO EQ on his mastering of "Pet Sounds" and said something on the order of that if you thread up the mono master and play it (straight), and compare it to the DCC CD they'll match (tonally).

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's right, MMM!

10. andrewsandoval

andrewsandoval Senior Member

I just would like to make a point here with respect to everyone's version of Pet Sounds. The CD version that I supervised (aka '99), as far as the mono content was taken from an analog album master source (what was known as the NY tape). The stereo was taken from a digital source (which was all that was delivered to Capitol at the time). As for the encoding, I was told that Capitol manufacturing did not support the HDCD system at the time, therefore the problem with the encoding was a pressing error and not a mastering error.

If you make an honest A/B comparison of the mono half of the '99 version against other sources (on a non-HDCD Cd player - it was never intended for that format and accordingly does not carry a logo), you might find some sonic differences that you will either like or dislike - it is not a carbon copy of Linnet's work from the box. It all depends on who's spin you want to put on it.

I personally do not believe in HDCD, I find it to be yet another audio gimmick. Though it does have "gain makeup" which makes it sound louder when the little light comes on - if loudness is your bag, have at it. The bottom line is that contrary to what may be posted, the '99 version of Pet Sounds was mastered with care, love and thought by people who hold that record and Brian Wilson in the highest esteem. And that is the honest to good truth.

Andrew Sandoval

11. Matt

Matt New Member

Mr. Sandoval,

One poster at that google thread claimed there is some HDCD encoding on the 1999 remaster that goes in and out. Is this really true, and do you know why it would?

I don't have HDCD anymore, but it strikes me as very odd for any CD to do that, especially if the manufacturer doesn't support HDCD.

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I don't have an HDCD player and for now with the mono, the 1990 CD, despite the No-Noising sounds OK to my ears and I'm not a completist on any artist, even if an artist is one of my favorites.

13. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hello Andrew.

And it doesn't have to do with technology at all. I read somewhere that one of the requirements of the HDCD licensing is that the player has to play regular CDs at a lower volume.

Pacific Microsonics was purchased by Microsoft. At the time I wrote somewhere else that both companies "think and scheme alike".

There will always be a segment of the market that doesn't like a particular remastering for one reason or other. I can live with the '90 CD as cbolson does.

Regards.

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Even though I have the stereo remix CD-R, I don't think it is necessarily the final word on Pet Sounds, as it has a modern feeling and the mono mix sounds just like 1966.

15. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Hey Little Girl, I don't want you around NO more. If you come knockin', you won't get past MY door!

Nudge, Nudge!!! Wink, Wink!

Please Mr. Postman! Only Bradley knows what I'm talking about here, Sorry!
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.