Cheers Complete Series Blu-Ray Coming April 25th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by OldSoul, Mar 8, 2023.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'? Thread Starter

I didn't know about this until just a few minutes ago.
    Cheers: The Complete Series Blu-ray

I'm sure lots of people will be happy about this after the Frasier release.
    Maybe we'll get Wings in 6-8 months. :nyah:

2. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

There's been a lengthy discussion about this set on the blu-ray.com forums, speculating on whether scenes (or music) that were cut from the DVDs and syndicated reruns will be added back. If you are interested in what was cut from the earlier editions, someone on that thread on the blu-ray forums wrote up a list. I was surprised to learn that a few minutes from the final episode were cut from the reruns and DVD and are now considered lost (they haven't turned up on YouTube, either).

Boswell likes this.
  3. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Yeah, some of the last season unexplainably looked like trash on the DVDs. We shall see

4. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Interesting about the final episode. I still have my VHS taped copy, with dimwit Jay Leno hosting the after party and an inebriated cast.

I would love to see an extra on here with Jay Thomas crashing a roundtable cast/creators discussion----asking "why did you fire me?" from the crowd, from my memory of it.

5. SmallDarkCloud

Thomas was fired because he joked, on-air, during his radio show about how terrible kissing Rhea Perlman was. Perlman wasn’t only a star of the show; her sister was a writer on Cheers as well. He had no leg to stand on there. He must have known that, so crashing the panel was a weird stunt, I guess? I’d like to see it, though, out of curiosity.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I have the 90-min version of the episode in HD, although I haven't yet watched it to see if the entirety of the episode is in 1080P. The aired version was 60 min as it was deemed that 90 min would be too long.

The cast had largely given up on memorizing lines and would go up on lines (industry expression meaning screwing up their lines) almost every other line but the scenes talking about life around a table at the end of the episode is a really long scene and apparently, the cast brought their A game and no one made a mistake.

I didn't experience this with the HD transfer I have.

Jay Leno did the best he could under the circumstances, trying to salvage what was an unsalvageable event. No huge fan of Leno here but he by far is the one who looks his best in that "interview".

@SmallDarkCloud is spot-on. It's no secret why he was fired. It was a dumb move on his part. Apparently an easy paycheck for him and the character was liked by the public but after the stunt he pulled for an easy laugh, it was an easy decision to fire him. Apparently, writer Ken Levine had never seen Rhea Perlman this angry in his entire stint with the show. She was apparently livid and *demanded* he be fired. I have to agree with her; what he did was way out of line.

What he likely forgot was that he was far from being irreplaceable on that show. It had a huge cast and he played an occasional role, on top of that so not exactly someone who could write their own ticket. I'm positive he regrets it but I'm unsure if he has it in him to understand how hurt she must've felt to be this angry.

bmasters9, jamesc and TheAbsentMind like this.
  7. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Not sure but wasn't Pearlman complaining about Thomas from the start, that she didn't want a sidekick? Maybe his comment about kissing her was retaliation? Funnily enough I seem to recall Shelly Long making a similar disparaging comment about kissing Ted Danson, not as crude, but that he wasn't good at it.

8. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Pretty positive he doesn't regret it anymore.

9. SmallDarkCloud

I don't know if those incidents happened, but Thomas made his comments to the public on his L.A. radio show, where he was heard by hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of listeners. It's a very difference scale. Plus, he was a part-time employee on the show, not a cast member, and he essentially humiliated his employer, technically (Rhea's sister, Heide, was also a producer on the show for awhile). I'm not shocked he was fired.

CantonJester and Vidiot like this.
  10. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I would love to watch the unedited final episode which I guess I only saw the one time 30 years ago. Even the edited version is still the most life affirming broadcast I’ve ever seen

11. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I hope they give us this in high quality....

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  12. Eric Richard

Eric Richard Forum Resident

I still have the vhs
    s of the final episode as well.

moople72 likes this.
  13. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I compiled the “lost” footage from the series finale and posted it in a thread here six years ago, but it vanished for some reason. Thanks to the Wayback Machine, this is what I wrote then, including cut scenes I transcribed:

After eleven seasons and more than 270 episodes, Cheers aired its final episode on Thursday, May 22, 1993. It was event television, and the episode proper — entitled “One for the Road” — was given an odd, 98-minute time slot by NBC. This meant that when the last 25 episodes of Cheers went into syndication the following season, the finale would not only have to be cut into three 30-minute parts for syndication; much of the episode would also have to be edited for time.

Unfortunately, these syndication cuts were not restored when the final season was released on DVD in 2009. Instead, the powers that be at CBS (the show’s current owner) took the three-part syndicated finale and frankensteined it back together into one episode. In doing so, they forgot to add back in more than three minutes of crucial dialogue that had been cut for syndication.

The edits affected the episode’s opening teaser, the opening credits, the first act and much of the final 1/3 of the episode after Sam and Diane announce they’re getting married. The scene that was butchered the most was the final act, featuring the gang waxing intellectual in the bar after closing time while smoking Cuban cigars. An especially memorable moment featuring Sam and Rebecca sharing one last kiss wasn't even spared.

I tried to upload these scenes to YouTube last night, but I immediately got dinged with copyright infringement by CBS, and my video was blocked worldwide. Instead of video, then, what follows in this thread will be transcripts of the cut bits, portions edited from the DVD and streaming releases appearing in blue text.

(00:00:30) [Opening teaser]

PAUL: Stunning supermodel Kim Alexis is listed as a presenter.

CLIFF: Yeah, Kim Alexis. Boy, how often has her lovely form graced the pages of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, huh? And how often some youngster slipped underneath the blankets with a flashlight to look at the same issue while his mother pounds on the door and says, “It’s past your bedtime, Clifford!”

Or whatever the lad’s name happens to be

PAUL: Hey, Normie, hit the sound; this could be electrifying supermodel Kim Alexis.

[Norm unmutes the TV with the remote.]

TV ANNOUNCER: Here to present the CableACE Award for Best Comedy Series are Margaret Thatcher and LL Cool J!

PAUL: Mute it!

NORM: [Muting the TV] Yawnsville!

TIM: Wake me when it’s over.

ALAN: [To Paul.] Hey, are you sure dazzling supermodel Kim Alexis is gonna be on this thing?

PAUL: Alan, she’ll be here! She has to; I moved my whole schedule around for this.

[The full, 60-second opening sequence plays (the DVD uses the edited version).]

00:02:32 [Beginning of act one.]

[Establishing shot of Boston, including the Prudential building, cut to the gang still watching the CableACE Awards.]

TV ANNOUNCER: And now, here are Alistair Cooke and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

[Norm mutes the TV again.]

WOODY: Hey, Dr. Crane. You know, tomorrow’s the big day I’m getting sworn in…

(00:45:19) [After Sam announces he’s marrying Diane.]

SAM: Fellas, I just said we were getting married; I think a little reaction’s in order. Don’t you think?

CARLA: I knew it! I knew it, the minute — the second — I laid eyes on her all those years ago, that it was the worst moment of my life! I knew that she was going to ruin everything someday! This is it!

SAM: Hey, Carla, don’t you think it’s time to give that up?

CARLA: Never!

DIANE: Carla, I wasn’t going to tell you this, but maybe you should hear it: the screenplay for which I was so extravagantly honored was based on your life. You were my inspiration.

CARLA: Really?

DIANE: Yes! It’s the story of a resilient, hardworking mother bucking all odds to raise her six children.

CARLA: Six? I’ve got eight!

DIANE: Good god, you breed like a fly!

CARLA: Well, this movie… people liked it?

DIANE: They loved it, Carla! People were inspired by the plight of my heroine.

CARLA: Yeah? Well, what happens to me? I mean, you know… to her, in the end?

DIANE: Well, out of the despair and frustration of her unmanageable life, she goes berserk and takes out a few people with an uzi.

[Carla looks thrilled and flattered.]

DIANE: That cost me the Humanitas Award.

CARLA: Diane, you know I’ve said a lot of horrible and hateful things to you over the years. Well, if I said something nice now, would you get all yucky?

DIANE: You have my word I won’t.

CARLA: Well… Diane, I… [She hesitates for a moment.] Naaaaah! Life’s too short!

FRASIER: So, Sam, you and Diane are back together, just like that, after six years of separation.

(48:14) [After Sam discloses he’s moving to Los Angeles with Diane, and that Diane is going to get him a job in a juice bar.]

FRASIER: Well, I had no idea you had such exciting prospects. By all means, go for it, Sam! Here’s kiwi in your eye!

NORM: Sammy, California? Riots? Smog? Earthquakes?

CLIFF: Don’t make me laugh, Norm; there’s no earthquakes in California.

WOODY: There aren’t?

CLIFF: No, there’s never been any. See, what they tell us are earthquakes are actually sonic booms caused by a project that’s been funded by the U.S. government. See, what they’re doing is they’re creating a huge cavity — a tunnel, if you will — right to the center of the earth where they’re gonna build a giant computer to control the planet’s rotation. Can I be the only one that’s heard of this?

FRASIER: You know, Cliff, electroshock therapy only sounds scary. Let me bring in a color brochure; it features Babar!

WOODY: Uh, can I get one?

FRASIER: I’ll bring in a boxful!

CARLA: Can we just get back on the subject here: Sam is leaving us, okay?

WOODY: So, Sam, what are you gonna do about the bar?

(49:47)

FRASIER: [Angrily.] The two of you had a relationship whose best moments were full of anguish and self-loathing! After ten hours with this woman, you want to give up your life, your livelihood, and move with her to California!?

CARLA: You’ve gotta admit, Sam, it sounds pretty crazy.

SAM: Yeah, alright. Alright, I admit we’ve had some troubles.

CLIFF: No, no, no, no, Sam. Ireland’s had troubles. You two are way beyond that.

SAM: Yeah, but we’re over that. You know, we’re more mature. We have respect for each other. I don’t let Diane’s irritating little habits get to me anymore. You know, I think we’re gonna be fine; I think we’re gonna be alright.

DIANE: Thank you very much.

SAM: [Turning to Diane.] Do you mind? I’m trying to make a point here.

DIANE: You’re doing a really bad job of it.

FRASIER: On the contrary, I think the point is crystal clear.

SAM: Hey, you wanna get off my case, fellas? […]

(01:00:30) [Beginning of the final act.]

[Another establishing shot of Boston, this time at night, followed by Norm, Carla, Cliff, Frasier, Sam and Woody seated and smoking Cuban cigars inside the closed bar.]

FRASIER: What a magnificent smoking experience.

NORM: Where did you get these, anyway, Sammy?

SAM: Well, you all probably know that Fidel Castro’s a big baseball fan.

FRASIER: Fidel Castro gave you these?

SAM: No, he gave them to Reggie Jackson. Reggie shared them with me.

CARLA: As well he should have! Chump wouldn’t have had half as many home runs without you pitching to him, Sam.

SAM: Thank you, darling.

[Rebecca enters the bar.]

REBECCA: [Walking toward the office.] Can you believe it? I forgot our plane tickets! Oh, oh, oh, Sam! I’m glad you’re here. Listen, I wanted to tell you: I really, really, like Diane, and I know you guys are gonna have a wonderful life together.

SAM: Diane and I are finished, honey.

REBECCA: Ding dong, saved by the bell! You know, I would rather see you eaten alive by carpenter ants. [Pointing to Sam.] Hey, wait a minute! My best friend is the only one that didn’t kiss the bride!

[Sam stands up from his chair.]

REBECCA: Come on, Sam, what do you say? A big one, for old time’s sake?

[Sam and Rebecca engage in an eight-second romantic kiss as the others look on uncomfortably; Rebecca eventually pulls away and says…]

REBECCA: Eew, cigar breath!
    Well, I’m off to my honeymoon! Goodbye, you guys! Oh, and I just wanted to tell you that the days that I had here at Cheers… they were the best days of my life.

(01:04:25)

CLIFF: …I mean, the greatest accomplishments in history have been made by men wearing accommodating shoes. Frasier, tell me, who do you think is the greatest thinker of all mankind?

FRASIER: I don’t know. Uh… Aristotle?

CLIFF: There you go: sandals. Perhaps the most comfortable shoe there is; you hardly even know that you have them on. I mean, Confucius, thongs. Einstein, loose loafers.

WOODY: Wow.

CLIFF: Hippocrates went barefoot, his intellectual career tragically cut short by a sharp pebble. We might’ve had the microwave in the middle ages but for that treacherous rock.

CARLA: I’ll tell you what the point of life is: having kids.

(01:06:53)

FRASIER: You know, no one wants to be the first to say it, but I’m not ashamed to admit what I think we’re all feeling. Time goes by so fast. People move in and out of your life. You must never miss an opportunity to tell these people how much they mean to you. Well, I… I… I… I…

NORM: I keep coming back to that shoe thing

CARLA: We don’t have to say it, do we?

FRASIER: Why not, Carla? What are we afraid of?

CARLA: I’m afraid this is gonna turn into a pajama party.

[The phone rings.]

NORM: Ooh, that’s Vera.

WOODY: It’s Kelly.

CLIFF: Could be Ma.

CARLA: My kids.

FRASIER: You know what, Woody, don’t answer it; just let whoever it is think we’re on our way.

Instead of using the end credits from the uncut, NBC version of the episode, the DVD uses the end credits from part three of the syndicated version. As a result, the following actors who appeared in the first two-thirds of the episode, but not the final third, are not credited in the DVD cut:

Special Guest Star
    TOM BERENGER
    as Don Santry

Also Starring
    JACKIE SWANSON
    as Kelly Boyd

Special appearances by
    MIKE DITKA
    and
    KIM ALEXIS

Guest Starring
    MARK HARELIK
    as Reed Manchester

ANTHONY HEALD
    as Kevin

PAUL WILLSON
    as Paul

MITCHELL LICHTENSTEIN
    as Waiter

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  14. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

It's too bad and I don't know why so many of these sets coming out in Blu-Ray aren't available in Canada.
    Not even on Amazon.ca
    I'd like to buy some of them and Cheers for sure and Frasier as they are two of my favorite shows.
    Even though I have them on DVD.
    I end up having to buy them from Amazon.com when the price drops some to make up for the shipping cost.

15. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

I ordered the Frasier boxset (and several 0ther titles that are not normally available in Canada) from ImportCds.com … shipping prices are reasonable and I usually receive orders within a couple weeks.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Thomas told that story several times on his old Sirius/XM Radio show, and he explained (paraphrasing), "when you do a live radio show, sometimes you blurt stuff out just in an attempt to fill time and be funny. I said that when I was on Power-106 and occasionally acting on Cheers, and never realized how insulting it must have sounded to Rhea Perlman, who never forgave me for the remark." And of course, they killed his character off-screen in a "tragic Zamboni accident."

He was very, very regretful for having said it, particularly in that it set his acting career back many years. Thomas was a very funny, thoughtful guy, and he deserved a lot more success.

poe_man, Pizza, AndyTaylor and 5 others like this.
  17. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

So, any news on whether or not this will be identical to the dvd release or if the episodes will be the way they originally aired?

mbd40 likes this.
  18. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

Seconded. Some of the season 1-4 episodes (shot and edited on film) had this rare version of the Paramount Television logo.

~Ben

905 likes this.
  19. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Perlman's anger was understandable, and I seem to remember that they were wanting to remove Jay Thomas from the show anyway. The Eddie character had been moved to another city and barely ever showed up anyway, and they thought Carla would be a more interesting character to write for going forward with her being single/widowed. Once Thomas made his "I should get combat pay for having to kiss Rhea Perlman" joke, the decision became easy.

20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

When you’re talking/performing live and trying to be entertaining, you’re in another zone. You’re being spontaneous and things just spill out. You can’t double think everything and self edit what you’re saying or you completely lose energy and pace. It’s a double-edged sword but audiences want that zippy spark. There’s always a risk something comes out wrong or you say something stupid. These days you get crucified when it happens.

21. Any word on the aspect ratio? The 16:9 ones I saw streaming were a mess - tons of boom mics and stage lighting in a lot of shots. Even caught part of a camera/camera operator once or twice.

22. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Doubtful as CBS seems to be all about using modern logos.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

First I've heard of this. Not impossible but I've not read/heard word one of that until now.

24. Strat-Mangler

Well, it's hard to defend. It was pretty personal, needlessly insulting, and basically calling a colleague ugly. :(

905, Steven and Rotary Connection like this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Technically, they could reframe each offending shot, but that'd be a mess and take forever. They could change the aspect ratio for the whole episode but that'd mean each episode could in a variety of ARs.

That's the reason why the decision to stick to 4:3 for Star Trek: The Next Generation was made.

I'm happy to have them in 16:9. 99% of the time, it works.