Cheesy background "rock music" in 1960s/70s TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mickey2, Mar 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

A movie with great library music: Olga's Dance Hall Girls.

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I heard some the other night while watching Dragnet on MeTV. Some kids were having a backyard party playing records when a kid with a hand grenade showed up. Friday and Gannon just kind of stood there while the kid with the grenade wanted the music to continue.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  3. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I immediately thought of The Sacred Cows on Get Smart. Some nice Roky Erickson guitar tone followed by the requisite amount of cheese and 99 dancing.

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

This isn't 70's, but here is some late 90s rock guitar in the movie opening to No One Would Tell:

5. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

Not sure if that is the actor singing... but the actor is Marjoe Gortner.
    Marjoe Gortner - IMDb

6. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Doesn't Play Misty For Me feature some generic inappropriate rock music at the beginning?

7. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

The payoff is about 1 minute in...

8. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

In the 70s, I used to listen to the CBS Radio Mystery Theater. The show did a great job of bringing back the mystery radio show and gave a lot of older and younger voice actors work, but they had no clue what music teenagers and young adults were listening to. To save money, they also used stock CBS music, so they didn't have much to work with.

Fortunately, the stories didn't include a lot of teen/young adult situations, but the ones they did have included very corny music.

Joy-of-radio, McLover and MikeInFla like this.
  9. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

To think this music showed up when Zeppelin, Sabbath, the Carpenters were all on the charts.

10. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I think you nailed it! Something I think many SH members don’t quite understand is that their coveted hippy pop rock wasn’t really all that popular among mainstream music consumers and especially the older population. So, producers used very generic sounding music with uptempo drumbeats and cheesy guitar bits to illustrate and depict hip music. A favorite television show of mine is Adam 12 where depictions of hip music are cheesy to the point of being hilarious! Does this sound familiar?

BEAThoven, Shambolicus and MikeInFla like this.
  11. Joy-of-radio

I like this! The singer reminds me of that AC/DC guy!

12. Joy-of-radio

I love this! Reminds me a bit of 101 Strings Astro Sounds and The Animated Egg. GROOVY!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    McLover likes this.
  13. Joy-of-radio

If this is cheesy, then I certainly have a serious penchant of cheesy musical nuggets! Everyone perceives and enjoys music uniquely, and I hear excellent musicianship and production here! I adore that mod sound and can't help tapping my feet and imagining groovy chicks shakin' it in their miniskirts! GROOVY BABY!!!

Mechanical Man and MikeInFla like this.
  14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I was watching Adam 12 last night and this music actually came on! hahaha!

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  15. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I'm sure this one was on Irwin Allen, who I believe was very "frugal" when it came to assets used in his shows.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  16. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I remember noticing this as a teen when I watched Leave it to Beaver and other such shows. Here's one I stumbled on today. In this episode of I Dream of Jeannie the juke box music being played starting at 1:20 is an instrumental "I wanna be free" which was sung by the Monkees. Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart wrote that song. Boyce and Hart were hired on songwriters for Screen Gem TV shows - and they wrote some of hits by the Monkees. Days of Our Lives theme song is among their most famous written song along with some of the Monkees' songs. Anyway, I assume that the producers of these TV shows would keep the music in-house as much as possible in order to keep costs low.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  17. Joy-of-radio

^this^ and using such generic music production likely minimizes licensing costs and other related issues especially when song catalogs trade hands.

18. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

I can’t believe somebody hasn’t compiled and issued an anthology of these on CD. Rhino? Sundazed? Let’s get moving on it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.