Chernobyl HBO Miniseries

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Funk, May 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

It might have something to do with the fact that the ferris wheel was never put into operation. In one of the documentaries I heard that it was to be opened on May Day (1 May 1986) but then the disaster struck on 26 April.
    Edit: Okay, I just read it was in. I guess it wasn't shown more prominently because it only became an iconic symbol afterwards showing the desolation of this place. A ferris wheel is always associated with noise, music, people - especially children - and this thing could never serve its purpose.

By the way, I read that the Pushkin House Book Prize 2019 goes to Harvard historian Serhii Plokhy for his book "Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy". The Pushkin House Book Prize honors English-language nonfiction about the Russian-speaking world. Plokhy is the first author to win the award twice. The ceremony was yesterday in London.

2019 Shortlist — Pushkin House
    SOLD OUT: CHERNOBYL: HISTORY OF A TRAGEDY: A TALK BY SERHII PLOKHY

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

The Blu-ray is now available for pre-order: Chernobyl.

englishbob and ries like this.
  3. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The scene where the the music is the guy singing Chernobyl over and over was cool. I forget what episode it was.

4. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

oh yea the animal burial scene.

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I finished it yesterday. Had to pause it every 10' or so cuz the wife kept asking me ¨What's an atom ?¨ What's radiation ? Where's Ukraine ? Man; what do women pay attention to in high school ? At least she liked it or I'd have to watch it alone.

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Please tell me she said it just like Stellan Skarsgard did, on the helicopter, and then, once you answered, she said, "Now, I don't need you anymore!"
    :laugh:

eddiel, delmonaco and The Pinhead like this.
  7. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Is there actual footage used in this series or everything is re-creation?

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

9. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Your wife != all women

10. ries

ries Forum Resident

The UK blu has also a releasedate: July 29th, in the UK it will be released by Sky, in the US I assume HBO, hope they include commentary tracks

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I believe everything was a re-creation.

12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

save for some of the stuff on TV. at least i know that was really peter jennings!

GodShifter likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Bwhahhaha!

All your bases!

14. vince

Not my wife!...
    She and I still remember that "60 Minutes" (or perhaps it was "20/20"). when Nadia Comaneci showed phots of the children who were born AFTER the accident!
    You don't forget something like that!

SRC likes this.
  15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Watched it over the last weekend, before my subscription was gone.

I enjoyed it, overall. Started at very strong, to increasingly bleak (as you expect) but the last episode felt more like a Hollywood story line. The attention to detail was pretty amazing though and I had heard they were very spot-on in many of those areas.

GreenDrazi likes this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Forgot about that part!

17. Finally watched all 5 episodes and thought it was outstanding. Came here to see what everyone else thought...and 4 pages in and most people are complaining about British accents. Typical of this forum lol

18. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Sorry, but that's just not true. There was a small discussion about it and nobody really complained.

GodShifter and vince like this.
  19. vince

:hide:I brought it up.....oops
    But, I wasn't complaining....

20. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I was very aware of the blunders from multiple books and docs so there really wasn't much new to me when I watched this series, but I loved the acting from all involved, particularly from Harris and Skarsgard. A really great series that I now wish was longer! As far as those complaining about British accents, those accents seem fine for all the GOT fans.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  21. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

So what. @GodShifter asked the right question: "Russian accents would make it more authentic?" Even if done correctly it still would sound like a Russian trying to speak in a foreign language and maybe even slowing down the pace of speaking (maybe to a point where the whole thing becomes ridiculous). Russian sounds different than English, so English with Russian accents doesn't make much more sense.

This discussion died down pretty soon because most people thought the series was just great. Nobody cared about accents anymore.
    I didn't mind at all. But I do find the discussion interesting in general.

I also think that in the case of "Chernobyl" the cultural differences aren't that huge. The differences are more of a political nature. Of course there are differences when it comes to body language and intonation but not as big when compared to Japanese. Imagine it was a series about Fukushima. The Japanese are very different in their behaviour but also when talking to each other. That's why I like to watch Japanese films in Japanese with subtitles because it is so different from German. Toshiro Mifune getting angry at someone in any of his Samurai movies is so much more scary than a German dubbing. It's a whole new world.

It is hard to imagine a series about Fukushima without Japanese actors but in Chernobyl a lot of the people really looked like their real life counterparts as shown above.

22. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

'Yes, I used to work in a shoe factory and now I'm in charge. Here's to the workers of the world."

23. Weird...I read those posts with my own eyes and now I'm being told I didn't see what I saw lol.

a customer and Gumboo like this.
  24. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

You wrote "most people" which I think is not true. A few people were mentioning accents, some of them were rather teasing (to my mind) than being dead serious.
    I just have a different opinion which I explained in the 2nd post. I don't want to tell you what you saw or didn't saw. :)

GentleSenator and GodShifter like this.
  25. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

IMO if they did the movie with the actors faking some Russian accent, this would lighten up the whole thing and will border a parody. For a movie dealing with such a serious issue I think they did it right - each actor to speak naturally. For authenticity they had to hire Russian and Ukraine actors speaking Russian, but in this case the movie wouldn’t be such an international success (not because there aren't great actors in Russia and Ukraine, but it’s just not the same if the US or any other international audience have to watch this movie with subtitles and Russian audio).

fabre, GodShifter and JL6161 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.