Chernobyl HBO Miniseries

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Funk, May 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

This scene from episode one really hit me hard and I knew this series was going to be special.
    The beauty and the horror.
    The kids playing and dancing in the radioactive ash.
    The pulsating musical score.
    Just beyond words.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Dr. Funk, JL6161 and fabre like this.
  2. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Same here. It's a British production, with primarily British actors. So I think the point was for everyone to use their normal accents (Stellan Skarsgaard sounding Swedish, for instance) rather than try to do Russian/Ukrainian accents, probably terribly, and sound like Boris and Natasha, dahlink.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Good scene.

It annoyed me initially in that,”how can they be so stupid??”

But no one had an idea of the enormity of the catastrophe at the time. Kind of like dancing to the ash of Mt. Saint Helens years ago in Washington State. I lived there at the time and no one knew what a horrible mess it would turn out to be and that’s sans the god awful radiation poisoning. People are clueless and stupid.

Dr. Funk and GentleSenator like this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Kinda like the water in Flint, too........

GreenDrazi, trem two and GodShifter like this.
  5. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Can only see the thumbnail of that, as guess what, Sky have blocked it in my country. But, just from the single image alone reminds me of this...

Sigur Rós - (Untitled) [Official Music Video]

trem two likes this.
  6. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

First movie about Chernobyl was russian and was released in 1979 by the state company Mosfilm.
    .................................................................................................................................................... :laughup:

fabre likes this.
  7. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

@Plinko also reminded us earlier in this thread. It's still on my watch list. Next Russian movie for me will probably be the Criterion release of "War and Peace". Been looking forward to watching a remastered version of this.

8. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

You could tell I'm almost one of those kids. I was 1 year old living in Kyiv at the time.

Haven't watched the series and probably won't as I don't do much movies but I think it's good that the series got this tragedy a much higher level of exposure than it probably ever had. Things like shouldn't happen again.

goodiesguy, nosliw, trem two and 3 others like this.
  9. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

1979? I don't get the joke.

10. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

"'Why worry about something that isn't going to happen?' That's perfect. They should put that on our money."

[​IMG]

Brilliant series. Haunting.

Judge Judy, Dr. Funk and JL6161 like this.
  11. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

He is talking about Tarkovsky's Stalker.

JL6161 and BrilliantBob like this.
  12. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

If the party says you didn’t see what you saw, than it’s impossible for you to have seen it.
    Now, let Brezhnev give you a make-up kiss and we’ll forget your little counter-revolutionary slip up ever occurred.
    [​IMG]

fabre likes this.
  13. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

14. sw61139

sw61139 Well-Known Member

I loved every episode. I did have nightmares after the first one. I had mixed feelings about the shock of seeing Eastender's hot Alex Ferns "giving it his all" in this scene. It was an uneasy mixture of compassion for him and his miners' plight and me being a big old perv.
    Woof! :angel:

[​IMG]

15. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

The wildlife and offspring of the abandoned domestic animals are also unafraid of people since they see so few of them. I know some organizations have been working on spaying/neutering the many dogs there and are now allowed to bring puppies out of the exclusion zone for adoption once they've been checked for contamination -- which at this point would only come from, say, sitting on some hot dirt and getting some particles on their fur.

It's amazing to me that the plant and Pripyat are now tourist attractions.

16. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

One of the horribly familiar things about the show was the crazy denialism of the plant managers and bureaucrats. I vividly remember reading discussion forum threads (not here) while Fukushima was happening, where all these self-styled "experts" constantly harped on the many, many safeguards and how things going really wrong was just impossible because technology! and engineers! had every contingency covered and under control, and "of course there couldn't possibly be a meltdown." And the people who questioned that based on observations of what was actually happening were labeled hysterical alarmist idiots.

Anyhow, my fave element of the show is how well it managed to communicate the menace of something invisible and intangible as well as the obliviousness of the ordinary folks since they'd been kept totally uninformed. Totally safe! No need to have emergency procedures in place!

I also loved how they made a point of starting right at the moment of the explosion and studiously NOT explaining at all what had happened until it was all laid out moment by moment in court. I went right back and rewatched the whole thing (except for the dog episode, aaargh) a second time once those pieces were filled in.

17. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Ha, yeah.
    When I worked corporate, we had an accountant who slowly embezzled up to 3 million dollars, in 20 thousand dollar increments. Any check higher than $20,000 would’ve triggered an automatic review.
    My manager complained to the corporate controller that the accountant was pulling her guys off their in-office jobs to make at least one extra bank run for him every day, sometimes two. That should’ve been a giant red flag.
    The controller’s response to her? “Do your job and tell your guys to stop complaining.”

JL6161 likes this.
  18. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

This was already a phenomenon before the show.
    Anthony Bourdain went there:

AND, if I remember correctly, there was a kind of "Blair Witch"-style film about kids who got there, and stuff happens to them. Forgot what the film was called, though.....

20. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Yes, that's what I meant -- that they have been allowing visitors there in recent years (and of course, people still worked at Chernobyl in the other parts of the plant for years after the explosion). I was in my 20s in '86, so I still think of it as being a terrifying No Person's Land, and I personally wouldn't touch the place with a 50-mile pole. I would adopt a Chernobyl puppy, though!

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Borgia likes this.
  22. YES! Not only, yes, but HELL YES! (You know, like in Texas?)

I've only seen the first two episodes, but they accents turned me off initially. It's 2019. We don't need anymore of this "continental English," 1950s-'60s style. Russian actors, speaking English would have set a great tone, at least giving the perception of authenticity.

That said, by the time I watched the second episode the story was so compelling that the accents affected me less. I'm easily adaptable. Nevertheless, if they weren't gunning for authenticity, they might as well have cast some Bostonians or Alabamans. :)

23. Sadly, every single person that was on that bridge succumbed to cancer due to their exposure. It’s now called the Bridge of Death as I recall.

trem two likes this.
  24. Great movie. Sadly, everyone associated with it died from one form of cancer due to exposure to toxic chemicals.

25. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

A dance of death.

"Words cannot express."

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.