Cherry Red's butchered mastering job on best of Lieutenant's Pigeon CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maxell-LN, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Since we are now covering the many crimes of Cherry Red, I will ask in this thread. Has anyone heard their CD re-issue of the first Working Week album?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Working-Nights-Deluxe-Edition-Week/dp/B0093N2XHI/
    I have never had this album on CD so I am interested but being on Cherry Red I need to know a bit more about the quality of the re-issue before I spend my money... I am almost certain that the singles on CD2 are vinyl rips.

2. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Cherry red are releasing the 2 Siren albums, but I don't know if it's worth getting them, given all the bad news here and elsewhere about other titles.

3. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I recently bought the "Barry Ryan sings Paul Ryan" CD from "Cherry Red/Rev Ola". It contains the first two albums. But it is audible, that the source in both cases was a vinyl record. And in the spectrum analysis it became obvious, that they even didn't bother to remove the 40 Hz rumble from their turntable....

4. Well the Grapefruit reissue of Hotlegs "You Didn't Like It Because You Didn't Think Of It" sounds exceptionally good, is clearly from a tape source and has been remastered by Paschal Byrne.

My guess is that as a reissue label they put out whatever they are given by the label without going back and asking for them to redo them if they are subpar. That's no excuse of course but it does explain the inconsistency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.