Chic | The Chic Organisation 1977-1979

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

You know...we could just accept that Nile oversaw the mastering of this set himself, so that should be good enough to answer the "proper speed" questions. :winkgrin:

2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

The price dropped from £99 to £75 so I bought it with some Amazon vouchers I got for Christmas and am on the third record atm. So far they sound great. Really nice packaging,) I’m not that excited about Paul Morley’s sprawling essay, or the other two)l, would have preferred more insight into the recording/release of the albums and singles but that’s just my preference for sleeve notes), I’m glad I bought it.

Lewisboogie and johnnybrum like this.
  3. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

"Paul Morley; a man who never uses one word, where ten will do"

Can't remember where I read that; maybe on this forum, but it's as true as can be...You want to see his writing in the Joy Division boxset...It is Hellish...'Vogon Poetry comes to mind....

Porkpie likes this.
  4. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Paul Morley. Wonderful writer, I remember reading his reviews every Friday in the NME when I was about 15 and thinking they were a revelation.

Scott Michaelsen and Willowman like this.
  5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

BTW, the hi-rez first Chic album, "C'est Chic", and "Risque" were all remastered last November. I told you guys a few years ago that those albums in the first hi-rez batch didn't sound right. The first one was dull as hell. The new hi-rez remasters sound much better.

6. Henny

Henny Forum Resident

Post purchase report: I picked up the Risque and C'est Chic half speed master LP's as they are now being sold individually by title, for $19.99 USD at that, and I say they sound fantastic.

$19.99?.... I had doubts.... then again.... no risk no reward..... Better bass clarity and dynamics are the big differences I hear. Best bang for the buck I've picked up this year on a new release. I don't think the Box Set is worth it. You can just get the 3 albums and be done for $60 ($52 with all the 15% off sales at Music Direct and elsewhere right now).

FashionBoy and Graham like this.
  7. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Fantastic is right, I picked up the same two albums myself. So clean, so clear.

Glad I can finally stop looking for pristine copies of these after twenty years, especially since the prices of them shot right up after the whole Daft Punk thing.

Henny likes this.
  8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Just bought Chic s/t, new, on vacation for a good price. It’s the Abbey Road half speed remaster.

Am I going to be happy when I get home and have a listen? I always felt my Canadian original was an underperformer...muted and veiled.

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Playing this reissue now.

My obvious enthusiastic exclamation would be...Yowzah, Yowzah, Yowzah!

Miles did a great job.

Nib likes this.
  10. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

i have some 90s cd reissues and the 2011 original album series from rhino

is the cd versions here better than those ?

11. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

Decided to buy the Rhino Original Album series CD set, i think from what I’ve seen online they have great dynamic range.

not really sure what the dynamic range of this CD box set are.

12. davidkeith

davidkeith Senior Member

I have this box set; Rhino even put a little "High Quality Mastering" logo on the back cover. It sounds fine to my ears. Don't listen to CDs all that often these days, and I like the sound of my Chic LPs a bit better. But, as late era CD mastering goes, it's not bad.

JackDVD78 likes this.
  13. HenerzH

HenerzH Member

Has anyone compared vinyl to cd for this???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.