Chicago area record stores past and present (with photos)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by larry333, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jamesc

jamesc Formerly Known as Undertow

Was that on Northwest Hwy in the 80s? I remember one that opened near the Chicken Unlimited around then...

2. shookie

shookie New Member

Just seen on TV that they were planning on closing, because Val died a couple of years ago, A old employee was running the store about 2019.

3. John5523

John5523 New Member

Great thread...brings back lots of memories! I recall buying most of my vinyl at a store on the south side Roosevelt Rd in a strip mall, in Lombard between Meyers Rd and Highland Ave (I think), called Record Barrel. Back in to 70’s. Drove from Darien to get there!

jamesc likes this.
  4. stushea

stushea Well-Known Member

Growing up in the north part of Evanston in the 70s we had two stores on Central Street: Grant Records and Argosy Entertainment. Both small, both gone by the mid-80s, but both huge places of learning for me. Laury's in downtown Evanston is where I got my first 45s ever, and Wax Stacks on Dempster is where my education really began.

5. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Val died in 2018. The store was poised to close last fall, but was bought at the last second by an investor/customer in order to keep it open. They're still going.

jamesc likes this.