Chicago area record stores past and present (with photos)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by larry333, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Used to shop at Rolling Stone all the time from the very early in the 70's on.

John Porcellino and Shawn like this.
  2. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Turnstyle. Wow! That’s a blast from the past. My grandparents lived in Harwood Hts. on New England. I would ride my bike from Kedzie and Belmont to cut their grass.

John Porcellino likes this.
  3. Cactus Bob

Another favorite was Rose Records at Ashland & School St. by Belmont across from Wieboldt's. Some of my favorite concert tickets were purchased from the Ticketron there in the 70's. The building used to be an A&P Grocery Store in the 60's, I lived down the street on Lincoln Ave. from 1961 on.

[​IMG]

jamesc, Daddy-O4, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  4. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

My mom's first job was at that Turnstyle.

EddieMann likes this.
  5. EddieMann

Wasn’t there a Flagg Bros. shoes and Foxx and Foxx clothing on the same block?

Cactus Bob likes this.
  6. Cactus Bob

Fox & Fox was there . . . the couple who owned that store were very hip, super nice folks. That's where I bought my Nehru shirt and Paisley Pants lol in the 60's. I don't remember Flagg being there . . . remember Wimpy's Hamburgers a block south of there?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    EddieMann and John Porcellino like this.
  7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

not a bad store but tight !

8. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Dave’s was the place on Clark just a few blocks from Kingston Mines, right? Was just there last summer and enjoyed browsing, even though I’m not a vinyl guy. It had a cool vibe. Unfortunately I didn’t have a lot of time, and the things I did see that i may have been interested from a collector’s standpoint seemed a little pricey.

avanti1960 likes this.
  9. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Yeah, it was right around the corner. I always found him way better for new stuff that you might not find down the street at Reckless, and occasionally, something mildly interesting in the used bins. Most of the time, a little overpriced, and a little too beat up. Did have some gems up on the wall a lot of the time. But way too cramped for extended browsing.

Jack_Straw and avanti1960 like this.
  10. Susan Wheeler

Susan Wheeler New Member

Basement mostly-jazz LP store on Clark or State maybe half a dozen blocks or so north of JRM c. 1979-82? Anyone remember?

11. JerStC

JerStC New Member

Does anyone remember Midwest Stereo on Morse Ave, or Record Exchange on Estes Ave, later also on Morse Ave in Chicago?

12. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Off topic, but this came up elsewhere and may well be off interest to some people here.

Judging by appearances, this page has been around a while.

Chicagoland Radio Call-Sign History

jamesc and John Porcellino like this.
  13. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Which corner is that? Is that building still standing?

14. EddieMann

I’m remembering it being on the NE corner. There was a Flagg Bros. shoes and Foxx and Foxx clothing store on the same side of the street a few doors south. But, that was a loooong time ago.

Quad Linda likes this.
  15. saturdayboy

If it’s the northeast corner, that’s a gigantic Whole Foods now.

16. EddieMann

That might be it. I live 35 miles west of there now and haven’t seen that location in a while.

17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Perhaps a question worthy of its own thread, but is Music Direct's B&M location worth a visit? Asking in terms of both music and equipment showrooms.

18. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Listening rooms are great - might be by appointment these days.
    Plenty of record bins to sort thru back by the listening rooms as well. Walk in anytime.

cdash99 likes this.
  19. It’s been a couple years but no showroom to speak of.

cdash99 likes this.
  20. Cactus Bob

It was on the SE corner . . . unfortunately it looks like this now lol.

Google Maps

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    Quad Linda likes this.
  21. Cactus Bob

I have been to Fox & Fox many times and they were a customer of ours . . . they had the hippest clothes in the 60's early 70's. The name reflects the husband & wife team that ran the business.

22. Cactus Bob

The Whole Foods is where the bank (Lakeview Savings Bank?) at the NE corner of Belmont & Ashland used to be.

23. saturdayboy

Right down the street from me. Unfortunately, all the beautiful buildings from our childhood are being replaced with garbage new construction.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  24. Cactus Bob

Yes what a shame . . . I lived there from 1961 to 2000 and couldn't wait to getaway from it. It was so great in the 60's & 70's I miss the culture/old neighborhood but I was lucky enough to experience it.

25. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Any regulars of Reckless that know when and why they stopped selling online?