Chicago III - time to reassess?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Jan 3, 2019.

1. manco

manco Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sure it's not Chicago(1970), but it has some gems. For one, Terry Kath's "Hour in the Shower" is fantastic and I don't understand why it's panned so much.

2. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Who pans it? It's not as great as the first two, but neither are any of the other thirty or so that followed.

It's an excellent record.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    parman, RickH, MikeMig and 24 others like this.
  3. Craigman1959

Craigman1959 Forum Resident

I always thought having Sing A Mean Tune as the leadoff track was not a good choice.

I would have gone with Mother or Lowdown.

RickH, MortSahlFan, GPM and 3 others like this.
  4. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Who's panning it? Great album by a great band in their prime.

5. manco

manco Forum Resident Thread Starter

Pretty low rated on https://rateyourmusic.com/

6. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest!

Sing a mean tune is a great lead off track

7. steve phillips

OK, I see what you're saying, but I stay away from critics and ratings and all that stuff. When the stylus hits the vinyl, and that incredible band starts jammin', that's all I need. :D

8. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Chicago III is not as commercially accessible as the first 2 albums, but it is quite a good album. It's main problem seems to be a lack of a bona-fide hit single. It is a double album full of album tracks. Some people will argue that Lowdown and Free are singles, but they are more like b-sides. Not really an A-side hit single, but it is really a good collection of songs, just devoid of a "hit".

9. Chicago III is one of my most played albums from the band. Hour in the Shower and Travel Suite are two favorites. Plus, it has my favorite lp cover from them.

DrJ, MikeMig, CrawdaddySim1 and 11 others like this.
  10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It’s a great album :edthumbs::cheers:

DrJ, rockinlazys, yesstiles and 7 others like this.
  11. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Love the Quad version.

12. BZync

BZync Senior Member

It's a good album but not a great album, IMO. Would have been a great single disc. I would ditch Side 4, keep the entirety of Side 2 & cherry pick the best from Sides 1 & 3.

13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I love Chicago's first three albums equally. Just great stuff on them. :thumbsup:

14. Keith todaro

Keith todaro Forum Resident

Well...........it would’ve been remarkably difficult to hit 3 grand slams in a row.
    Their first two set an dauntingly high bar - III surely does not rate as high as those 2; but it remains an excellent
    Lead in to “Live at Carnegie Hall” and the remaining Kath/ Seraphine albums. Still a Gem in my collection, as are all of their releases.
    Can’t wait for the next.

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Very overlooked album, not only in terms of Chicago, but for the early 70's overall. Unfortunately, there were no major charting hit singles off the album and that may have played a part in it's "background" status. Even CTA had tracks on it which became hits some time after the fact..and of course, "II" had make Make Me Smile and 25 or 6 to 4; the latter, having become one of *the* staples of Classic Rock radio. But all that aside, if there was ONE Chicago album which, in my opinion, deserves some re-evaluation, it's this one.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

What's interesting is the "pattern" of the first five albums; the first three albums-almost like a trilogy- were all musically exploratory in one way or another. All were followed by the the Carnegie Hall album which, if you think about it, was a live summation *of* that "exploratory" period. With their next studio album, they turned the corner and began their hit oriented, "commercial accessibility" phase which, for me, peaked with their seventh album. After that, I left.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I had never heard the album until the Friday Music CD reissue several years back. Before then, I hadn't read/heard much about the album, and it doesn't contain any major hits, but, man! Talk about underrated! The album is great!

18. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Thanks for starting this thread. It "made" me pull out the quad version and give it a listen. Have not played this in some time. I usually reach for CTA, II or V, but you are 100% correct. A great listen, especially in quad. I think it was overlooked because of the brilliance of CTA and II, and III may have been considered a letdown in comparison. I would agree to a certain extent, but it is not far off. A great album !

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it's not chicago?????????????......i have to ask...who the **** is it? it is just as good as 1 & 2 a bonifide classic in every sense of the word.

Keith todaro, AudiophilePhil and Reis like this.
  20. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I think he just means it's not Chicago II aka Chicago (1970). Easier to use the numbers to avoid the "Peter Gabriel"-like confusion.

Bob T nails it regarding lack of the hit single being a main reason it's overlooked or not though of as highly. Free gets close to being what a hit single from this album should've been, it just got stalled in the mid teens.

Michael P and AudiophilePhil like this.
  21. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

A good record
    prob their third best

Headfone and steve phillips like this.
  22. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

That's a good summary.
    While I like V and VII, their first 3 LPs were much more creative and groundbreaking.

steve phillips and DK Pete like this.
  23. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Always reminded me of the Band's Stage Fright. It's hard enough to follow a legend. But two legends?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. steve phillips

I remember Lowdown getting quite a bit of play on AM radio. Great tune. Cetera in his prime. Extraordinary vocal and bass playing, as usual.

yesstiles, Hep Alien, EdgardV and 5 others like this.
  25. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I pull this album out and give it a listen a lot...always have. Never had a problem with any of the tracks...sure 3 double albums to start off with.....had to be a little drop off...
    My go to copy is the Friday Music CD, but hunt down a early "TML" ( In The runoff groove) pressing of the original vinyl...very hard to find all 4 sides with TML. That pressing sounds really nice for those
    of you into the vinyl.