Chicago Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by rpd, May 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

Will be in the Windy City next week. Where should I go for vinyl???

2. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

Reckless Records, HiFi Records, 2nd Hand Tunes, Jazz Record Mart.

3. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

The best concentration of record stores is on the corner of Clark & Wrightwood: Hi-Fi Records, 2nd Hand Tunes and Dave's Records. Hi-Fi and 2nd Hand have CD and vinyl, while Dave's is vinyl only. Good selection all around, but don't expect anything dirt cheap.

The Virgin store on Michigan has a not-bad selection of new vinyl.

If you have the time, the 2nd Hand Tunes in Evanston (on Dempster) is worth a trip.

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

There's always Championship Vinyl... :D

If you're into soul, funk, and R&B, you might try Dusty Groove on Ashland south of Division.

5. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Be sure to watch High Fidelity before you go for further suggestions. :thumbsup:

6. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Note that there are *two* Reckless Records (the larger one on Broadway, and a smaller one on Milwaukee in Wicker Park right near the Damon blue-line stop).

Hyde Park also has some fairly good used vinyl shops, especially if you're looking for jazz/soul/r&b...the Dr. Wax there specializes in such items.

7. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

8. JWB

JWB New Member

I was at the Reckless Records near the Double Door, when my band played there. Is that one of the better ones? I wasn't too impressed.

9. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys....

10. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

What can I say...it's Chicago!

Offhand, I don't know where the Double Door is, so...

11. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I miss Wax Trax. :(

12. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

You and I both!

Sean

13. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Me, too. Boy, does that name bring back a lot of memories. I used to drive into Chicago on Saturdays, with a couple of friends, two or three times a month just to peruse their stuff. :)

One of those friends has since passed away, and I ended up helping his daughter sell and also move into storage his record collection, a lot of which came from Wax Trax. He had a lot more $$$ than I had, as he owned a china/dishware/collectibles store, and it was always fun to watch him as he came out of that store with stacks of vinyl. :D

14. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Double post, sorry.

15. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Yep, me too. I used to go there with friends, buy the latest releases, put up with the attitude behind the counter and then head a couple of doors down to Vie de France for a quick lunch. It was always so much fun. It seemed like Al from Ministry was there every other time I went. I still have my 1983 catalog with all the lines through the records I'd already bought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.