Chicago-the Movie-DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dave D, Aug 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done! Thread Starter

Well, the wife wanted to see this. Sorry, it just was not my cup of tea, and I think The Two Towers got cornholed! Hollywood loves this kind of stuff, the big song and dance thing. I'm not one for Broadway musicals. It was a free rental anyway!

ok, let me have it!:eek:

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Bad boy, David. :)

Actually, I haven't even seen the movie yet. I did see Renee at the awards beaming about the movie bigger than Bridget Jones or any other movie I've seen her in (The Drew Carey movie I thought was her best) but they seemed to do some amazing work....

We'll see. I'll have to wear a crash helmet for the movie, yes?

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

We saw this at the theater (the wife dragged me to it). Actually, it was entertaining. They could have done a lot more with the movie but they had to make a dumb ending, probably to keep those test audiences happy.

We will not bother to buy the DVD, though. I enjoyed Moulon Rouge much more!

4. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

My daughter, who is 15, had a bunch (14!) of her friends over last Friday night to watch the movie. I set it up for them in surround and left the room (they wouldn't want me there anyway) so I can't comment, but the girls sure had a blast. No one even left to go on instant messenger!

Jay N.

5. FMRadioGuy

FMRadioGuy New Member

I really enjoyed it.

I thought it was wonderfully produced. And it starred three of my favourite actors doing things I had never seen them do before. There was a time when I couldn't stand musicals but between Moulin Rouge and Chicago, I've suddenly taken a liking to the genre. My wife didn't even have to pull me to this one.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done! Thread Starter

Re: I really enjoyed it.

oh, no denying that! Amazing production.....just can't get into musicals.

7. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

I'm sure it's very good, on a "Show" level, but I got "All That Jazz", instead.

Can't beat $9.99 for an actual Bob Fosse Film ! The Real Thing !

8. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I bought it a week ago, and haven't had the "guts" to put it on yet. I know the wife's gonna nag me any day now though.... :)

9. James RD

James RD Senior Member

I enjoyed it. Beautiful production, great editing, nice song and dance stuff and some fine performances. Gere and Reilly stand out. The director did a wonderful job.

But there is no heart in this movie. Except for John C. Reilly, there are no sympathetic characters. There is no romance. No love. A meticulously produced, entertaining hour and forty minutes of emptiness.

10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I really like "Chicago," though it is much better in a theater than at home (unless you're someone fortunate enough to have a large projector at home). I don't even like musicals much myself, and I actually found "Moulin Rouge" quite boring, though I only saw "Moulin Rouge" on dvd so I might have liked it better in a theater, too.

Though I don't find any of the characters in "Chicago" sympathetic, I find the film's outrageous cynicism entertaining, especially "Cell Block Tango."

For anyone who likes "Chicago," there is a stereo/multi SACD of the soundtrack, too, with an aggressive and fun mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.