Chicago X inner sleeve pic (Question for a Chicago expert)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Moonbeam Skies, Sep 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, right. I'd forgotten about that poster:

[​IMG]

And it will come as no surprise that Reid Miles also created the cover for The Jacksons album Goin Places:

[​IMG]

This was also Reid Miles. He obviously did a bunch of work for Columbia in the mid '70s:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  2. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting! Why would you be embarrassed by the band that recorded 25 or 6 to 4, I'm a Man, Street Player, Beginnings, etc.?

Fullbug and AudiophilePhil like this.
  3. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Free form guitar and a hit by varese also great song variety

4. Moonbeam Skies

Thanks I will have to check out A Hit By Varese. To me Chicago were as cool as Santana, The Doors, the Doobie Brothers, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Miller Band, etc.

5. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

They were never a particularly popular or widely heard band over here, although that all changed with the execrable If You Leave Me Now. Indeed, their quadruple live album was once referred to in the UK music press as the most gross, bloated & turgid album ever released, or words to that effect.

The only album of theirs apart from X that I've heard subsequently was the debut CTA double, which I found to be borderline unlistenable. I'm A Man was ok, but it's a cover! To this day, I've never heard a Chicago original that I'd want to hear again!

6. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I like it better than 8 and 11, however still contains filler (Skin Tight and You Get It Up). The remainder is quite good, IMHO.

Interesting that Lamm, Kath, Cetera, Loughnane and Pankow all get lead vocals

Kath's "Once or Twice" is a great opener.

7. Moonbeam Skies

It seems like Terry Kath played his best guitar solos on songs written by other band members. I don't think he solos at all on Once or Twice.

8. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

I revisited VIII recently it's underrated but sounds a little tired, comparable to your typical 60s 70s band trying to fit in the mainstream when they're not really mainstream....YET

Humbuster likes this.
  9. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Exactly!! Never...

EdgardV and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They all have leads on XI as well.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  11. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Pankows a pretty good singer you can tell he's been hanging out with his bro Dennis Wilson at the caribou ranch

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Hardly any solos on that album at all. Pretty sure it's the only Chicago album where no song reaches four minutes.

Suncola and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  13. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I had to laugh out loud reading this. Reminds me of Christmas 1970. I was expecting a Beatles album under the tree. I got the Fifth Dimension Age Of Aquarius instead.

BTW I like this Chicago album.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Kath has a short solo on "Skin Tight," which (typical for a Pankow song) has some of the most interesting music on the album combined with weak lyrics.

15. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

It happened to me too.. Was hoping for the Doors "Absolutely Live" and got a Bill Cosby album. Pretty lame if ask me.

apple-richard likes this.
  16. Sean Tomkins

Sean Tomkins Forum Resident

Thanks for this, I was never completely sure. The same thing happened to me with the IX cover. I had all the posters along the way and trying to match the guys was fun but frustrating too.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  17. Sean Tomkins

Brilliant poster. I still have it though it’s pretty worn out. VIII was my very first Chicago LP and still in my top three though rated well down by most.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  18. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Walt Parazaider (holding a sax)
    Lee Loughnane (holding a trumpet)
    Robert Lamm (cables around his neck)
    Laudir de Oliveira (holding some music pieces)
    Terry Kath (wearing baseball cap backward)
    Peter Cetera (holding foldable music stand)
    James Pankow (holding a trombone)
    Danny Seraphine (holding drum sticks)

19. AudiophilePhil

[​IMG]

Fold up photo inside the album Chicago XI (1977)
    (L-R)
    Robert Lamm, Terry Kath (gunfire is headed right at him), James Pankow, Laudir de Oliveira, Walt Parazaider, Peter Cetera, Lee Loughnane, and Danny Seraphine

Months later, Terry Kath died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on his head.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I felt back when it came out that X was the beginning of the end for Chicago and I still do. They’d lost their edge and it was way too slick for my taste. XI is actually I think a small and brief semi- recovery, a bit better, more signs of life - but after that, forget it. Sad to say as I really loved them up to that point even the often maligned VIII which I think is excellent.

21. Sean Tomkins

I still cannot make my mind up about which is Robert, Terry and Peter.

22. Sean Tomkins

Agree wholeheartedly, nice to see VIII getting some love too, it’s still one of my fave Chicago albums. Terry on fire and four lead vocals too.

DrJ likes this.
  23. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Peter is definitely the one in the front by the dog, wearing the plaid shirt and overalls. He looks a little heavy, but his weight fluctuated up and down over the years.

Terry is definitely the one in the hat with cords around his neck, just in front of Laudir.

But the one that baffles me is, the only one left to be Bobby Lamm. The guy riding the police motorcycle, with the mustache and hat. To me, it doesn't look anything like him, or anyone in the band. The hat and moustache must be pretty impactful.

24. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

Have any outtake shots of these posters leaked out?

25. AudiophilePhil

It looks like Robert Lamm was absent when Columbia Rec. photographer Reid Miles took this photo of the band for CHICAGO X. Everybody looks real except the mysterious bodiless guy riding the police motorcycle with mustache and hat. He does not look like Robert Lamm or even Terry Kath. By looking much closer at the photo, it looks like the entire head, neck and shoulder were superimposed to make up for Robert's absence from the photo session. The question is, whose head is it? A head photo of a roadie or one of the studio personnel?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Sean Tomkins and EdgardV like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.