China Crisis- (the band)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ganma, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Wow, those new songs from Gary sound really good IMO! Just purchased this, thanks for the heads up!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Ken.e. and Almost Simon like this.
  2. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

PBo, 4_everyman, groundharp and 5 others like this.
  3. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Billy Shears!

Eric_Generic and Almost Simon like this.
  4. Almost Simon

Gary Daly album arrived today. Wasn't holding out too much hope, packaging not too impressive but thankfully no bends or issues. Lovely album, I've been working so only had one full play but it sounded great, very China Crisis as you would expect, chilled. I have no hesitation in recommending this to a CC fan. Only downside is a lack of download code with vinyl but just means will enjoy this one sat at home in my big chair. Good stuff!

5. zither

zither Forum Resident

My vinyl of Gone From Here also arrived today - it's a beautiful gatefold with lyric insert, and a freebie postcard thrown in. Playing it through now, and agree with Simon, it sounds very much like China Crisis. Grab it while you can folks.

Almost Simon likes this.
  6. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

This may have been mentioned but I noticed that Autumn in the Neighbourhood is on Spotify. What a great record. So nice to get to hear it after a long wait and I was impressed. Too bad the distribution and promotion has been so light it really deserves better.
    Perhaps someone will release it on CD and vinyl soon.

7. Almost Simon

It is available on cd but they seem only to sell copies at their live shows. I picked a copy up last year when I saw them live. Like you I feel it a shame they don’t go heavier on promotion.

It’s never been pressed on vinyl which is a huge shame, really like the album and the artwork. I asked at their merchandise stand, was a small pub gig, 150 people max, the guy said it had never been pressed on vinyl and no plans to. That was disappointing to hear. So many old records getting reissued nowadays, this one is very much worthy of being on vinyl.

8. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Got my copy in the mail today! Can't wait to listen to it tonight. No text on the spine though, ugh.

Almost Simon likes this.
  9. Almost Simon

Or front cover. Very nice album. Only listened once sadly, blame Dylan.......but i am looking forward to giving it another spin.

Ken.e. and Machiventa like this.
  10. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

I realise that I'm replying to a years-old post here, but yes, me! Funnily enough, even though I'm a fan of quite a lot of New Wave/Synthpop stuff, the earlier China Crisis work really doesn't do all that much for me, but on Flaunt the Imperfection I think that not only did the songwriting improve, but they couldn't have found a better producer to help them realise their greatest record not only at that point, but ever. Simply put, the production of this record is exquisite, as you'd imagine of the work of someone who was involved in making records like Aja and Gaucho. Easily one of my favourite records of the '80s, although I have a lot of those!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  11. serj

serj Forum Resident

Gary solo album is very good. Didn't expect it, to be honest. Post card is also nice:). I guess this CD will be rare soon. Get it while can.

Almost Simon likes this.
  12. ThaiVibe

ThaiVibe New Member

The two bands that grew from the 80s that have stayed with me continuously over the years are China Crisis and Talk Talk. Very different bands.
    The only album of Crisis that never worked for me is What Price Paradise; it includes a couple of their best songs but the production lets it down badly.
    For my money, Autumn in the Neighbourhood runs Flaunt the Imperfection close as their best album.

Eric_Generic and Almost Simon like this.
  13. Almost Simon

I'd agree with you on Autumn. Superb album.

14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

China Crisis were such an underrated band in the 1980s. Flaunt.. aside, nobody seemed to take them seriously.

EG.

15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

They did seem to get a bit lost in all the great music from this time.

I had the Flaunt CD in late 1985. Foolishly sold it a few years later.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  16. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Just located a near mint copy(I hope) of the 2 c.d. version of "DIARY OF A HOLLOW HORSE".....after month's searching for chance to get this....hopefully I didn't pay too much but when found 1 listed I couldn't pass it up!it's on the way and I'm hoping for the best.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Arizona Sky is my favourite single, followed by King In A Catholic Style (I bought the 12" single of that). Flaunt's probably the best album, though my personal choice is Working With Fire & Steel as that's when I came on board via the Wishful Thinking hit single (which never fails to remind me of a girl I knew!).

EG.

zither and Bobby Morrow like this.
  18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

That's become really scarce...I regretted not buying it on release, and in the end re-purchased an original 1989 CD on Virgin, to replace the one I foolishly let go in the 1990s, @Bobby Morrow-style! :D

19. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

Worth a listen if you missed it on Saturday.
    Also a who was best Beatles poll John or Paul ?
    [​IMG]
    Listen now

China Crisis
    Liz Kershaw

Liz gives listeners the chance to show-off their musical knowledge with themed tune suggestions. She is joined by China Crisis frontman Gary Daly for Legend In Your Own Lunchtime, to coincide with the Merseyside musician's new solo album and UK Tour. Plus, Liz chats to a listener about an album they think is All Killer No Filler.

Show less
    26 days left to listen

2 hours

Last on
    [​IMG]
    Saturday13:00
    BBC RADIO 6 MUSIC

Almost Simon likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It was just after Christmas in 1985 and I bought Flaunt The Imperfection, Once Upon A Time (Simple Minds) and Legend (Bob Marley) all on the same day...

..And went on to sell the lot of them.:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  21. Sebastian saglimbenI

I never knew "DIARY OF A HOLLOW HORSE" Had been expanded and reissued until the trio of the recent reissues expanded came out and I was expecting "DIARY" would be among them....silly me!What are the odds of an expanded reissue of "WHAT PRICE PARADISE" might happen....any reason why it hasn't happened?

Eric_Generic likes this.
  22. Almost Simon

I'm still searching, well done on finding a copy.

23. Sebastian saglimbenI

I really and literally checked daily ebay and amazon specifically this item.....I may have over paid but at the end of the day it was worthwhile as I'm a huge china crisis fan and while I don't have anything post A&M By them aside from the live acoustic album....I've sone catching up to do!:)

Eric_Generic likes this.
  24. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

I really love China Crisis, and have since the moment I first heard "Wishful Thinking" and "Here Comes a Raincloud" back in 1987.

Of all the bands I collect, China Crisis is one of the few I would describe as "smooth" or "easy listening" (others would be Pat Metheny and Andreas Vollenweider). Normally I don't get excited by "gentle" music, but China Crisis have enough of a distinctly UK post-punk sound for my ears to appreciate them. I really like all of their albums (and have bought them multiple times on vinyl, tape, CD, and deluxe editions)... and also am enjoying Gary's new solo CD.

Great stuff, and I will continue to collect whatever the band puts out!

25. Sebastian saglimbenI

They are also very BLUE NILE" but with a lot more swing/melody!I was turned on when hearing CHINA CRISIS used as a theme song for an american program highlighting english soccer highlights back In the early-mid 1980's....can't remember which song though I knew I loved it at first listen!!magical really!