Chord Qutest

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zboski, Sep 22, 2022.

1. zboski

zboski Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m in love with this dac. Since I got nice speakers I can’t find a weakness in this piece I have the upgraded linear PS. I went from exclusively vinyl to 25% vinyl lately. Anyone else feel the love for this little gem? Favorite filter or neutral? Also has anyone found a streamer that pairs well?

Gi54, Olargues and Raiderdave like this.
  2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The all DACs sound equal folks will scoff at this notion, but I absolutely love the sound of my FPGA based PS Audio DAC too. Great FPGA based designs can indeed sound truly wonderful if they are implemented well. :righton:

zboski likes this.
  3. zboski

What streamer do you use? And no way all dacs are equal. The chord was the first I’ve heard that was beyond acceptable.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  4. TarnishedEars

I use a Marantz ND8006 with my Direct Stream DAC. It sounds great! But the NA6006 contains the same streamer, just with fewer inputs and no disk drive for about half the price.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    zboski likes this.
  5. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

Had mine since 2018, great little DAC that has passed the test of time. Favorite filter is neutral and I use Audirvana through an old laptop as a streamer. Recently added a Denafrips Iris DDC and it was a nice SQ bump.
    [​IMG]

timind, zboski and mikethep like this.
  6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, whole lotta love.
    I had mine for year, not interested in upgrading it any time soon.
    My favorite filters are green and orange, depending on the speakers that I am using.

zboski likes this.
  7. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

It’s a great DAC for the price point. Can’t go wrong owning it. I did not hear much difference between filters. As for streamer, the Lumin U1 Mini pairs well with the Qutest. I’m sure any decent streamer will.

zboski likes this.
  8. zboski

Love the green on most songs red once in awhile

5-String likes this.
  9. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Good stuff Chord but way out of my price range

ls35a and Ham Sandwich like this.
  10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Chord gear does have an audiophile tax added on. It's good stuff if you aren't so price/value conscious and can afford the audiophile tax.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  11. Raiderdave

Raiderdave Well-Known Member

12. Olargues

Olargues Forum Resident

Heard many enthusiastic reviews about the Quest.
    If I have a NAS server and this DAC, do I need a steamer in between?

13. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Definitely … the Qutest is a mere DAC, does not have a renderer or any streaming capability. The streamer that is used must be able to ‘see’ your NAS server. Most do that nowadays.

14. Olargues

Olargues Forum Resident

Understood. Many thanks!

15. mikethep

mikethep Active Member

I also added a Denafrips Iris recently. Using optical output to Qutest. Great improvement. Switched from green to white filter after adding the Iris, with Lifatek cable.

chipcalzada likes this.
  16. TarnishedEars

If you are streaming from your NAS over ethernet or wifi, then yes. If you are streaming from your PC to your DAC via a USB connection, then no.

17. Olargues

Olargues Forum Resident

OK, got it, thank you. Will give it a thought...

18. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

I love my Qutest. I use it to listen to CD from my Audio Note CDT 1.1 transport. Sounds great. Almost as good as my vinyl set up. I prefer the neutral filter. I only stream Spotify from my computer for background listening and to check unknown music.

chipcalzada likes this.
  19. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I’ve thought about a Chord DAC many times, but I’ve also read and watched reviews where there are instances of vocals and instruments being displaced in the sound field with Chord DACs.

I can’t recall if it was a specific model or across their entire line, but that would drive me crazy … Anyone experience this?

20. TarnishedEars

I've never heard of such behavior before. Can you link to some review where they speak about this?

21. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Like I said way above my grade :)

22. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

One I can recall right off bat was a YouTube reviewer that said something to this effect. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

23. woody

woody Forum Resident

Not that I have noticed. Dr John seems like he's sitting right in front of me right now. Only brought to tears twice in 4 songs.

24. chipcalzada

Never experienced this. That's probably the opposite of what the Qutest does, the ace up its sleeve is how holographic and organized the soundstage is.

25. chipcalzada

I just googled your Lifatek optical cable, it looks like the bee's knees. Have you compared SQ of optical vs spdif cable into the Qutest? I'm currently using a spdif cable (Wireworld and Black Cat) from Iris to Qutest.