Chord Qutest

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zboski, Sep 22, 2022.

1. zboski

zboski Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sold on the piece not the brand. Every link in your chain is important if you have a great system. Yes I was surprised when a silver interconnect made a huge improvement but it did. If you have a non capable piece in your chain upstream you won’t get the most out of your speakers regardless how great they are.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  2. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Its subjective really, it's whatever works best for the individual and if the "room" your system is set up in is terrible from a acoustic point of view all bets are off for good SQ not matter how much you paid for that interconnect, power cord, speaker wire, speakers or component for that matter

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  3. mikethep

mikethep Active Member

I probably should get around to comparing coax to optical from the Iris to the Qutest. If I do, I'll report back. Not really motivated to at the moment. If you haven't tried optical from the Iris, it might be worth trying an inexpensive one. If it's better sounding, the Lifatek probably will be even better. I went from a 6' $30 glass cable I already had (better than Wireworld USB direct to Qutest) to a 20" Lifatek and there was a definite improvement.

chipcalzada likes this.
  4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I’ve owned several DACs (Mytek, RME, iFi, and the one built into my McIntosh amp), but the Qutest is my favorite—warm and musical yet very detailed and revealing. The iFi DSD Pro sounded as good and has a great headphone amp, but mine kept locking up, so I returned it. The Qutest is hard to beat in its price range. A headphone amp would make it perfect!

zeitlos, zboski, Gi54 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

A Qutest with a headphone amp is the Hugo 2.

6. zboski

Agreed 100% and tastes are subjective absolutely. If someone loves their sound in a stereo that cost $500 god bless them. It took me a ton of time and effort to get to the sound I was looking for.

7. zboski

Yeah I just grabbed a node to make it more convenient. I have only listened to a half a song so won’t know until tonight if it beats the usb. I’m just shocked being a vinyl only purist to now 66% of the time using the qutest. It brings some serious detail without being thin or harsh.

Bachtoven likes this.
  8. zboski

I just grabbed a coax to BNC. I didn’t like the optical at all.

9. Womaz

Womaz Well-Known Member

I use the Qutest with a Stack Audio Link 2 , it sound great to me and the streamer has been flawless so far.

zboski and Gi54 like this.