Chris Bellman - Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by canonlon, Jan 14, 2012.

1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Is the CSN album a new release?

2. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

I believe it is a new reissue , yes. I played the lp I've owned since 1977 before I ordered and thought it sounded great but was a bit worn so I thought I would take a shot on these. Like I said was very pleased to see CB mastered it. Will spin it later tonight.

jon9091 likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You are the best ! I came back to ask you for the UPC codes, now I don't need 'em. :tiphat:

4. Myke

Nobody has even submitted them to Discogs yet, either. I've got my original '77 out for the same test, never owned Daylight Again before.

5. Senor Muddy

Just took a closer look, I think they did a great job with CSN. UPC code is on the hype sticker not on the jacket, the boat picture is a paste on like the original, a poly lined sleeve for the lp but also includes the original sleeve with lyrics etc. and the labels are also the same as the original.

Joti Cover, jon9091 and Myke like this.
  6. Myke

And cB in the dead wax, all you need right there. Sorta hoping my '77 is banged up. :whistle:

teag likes this.
  7. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Both Music Direct and AS today finally mentioned CB...I know what you mean - what up w that?!

Myke likes this.
  8. Joti Cover

Stills Young Band - Long May You Run lp..heard so much that I never had before....wider, more detailed, textured and real.
    More funky too w the bass popping out.

Always liked this album a lot but knew there was more. And there sure was.
    Thank you Chris Bellman. The Cd version is great too....

9. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I need to take this back. That sibilance is gone with the same cartridge in my new turntable.

10. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I believe he's cut all of the Phish reissues which all sound amazing

Junta
    Lawn Boy
    Picture of Nectar
    Rift
    A Live One
    The White Tape

Joti Cover and Geee! like this.
  11. I just noticed on Discogs that CB is credited on the new Buffalo Springfield CD box. Looking forward to receiving my copy.

ibis, Joti Cover, fluffskul and 2 others like this.
  12. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

13. Senor Muddy

With regard to CSN reissue, listening to side 1 now and it sounds great. I just noticed the trio are laughing on the cover? They are dead serious on my original..hmm. I guess I have to keep both now ( I would anyway LOL)

Joti Cover likes this.
  14. Myke

Another original I'm going to have to check. Thanks @Joti Cover ! (note to self this one cost $9.00 in Oct.2010)
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    My " boat album " is a Preswell, mastered by the Albert Brothers of Fat Albert Productions.
    I have really taken care of this one. Dead quiet, no problems yet.
    In fact, it sounds great. Lots of fat bottom end, just like I like it.
    No, this is still a keeper after 41 years. This is why the young men that buy my albums have their jaws dropping.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Well, I ordered Daylight Again, and Long May You Run, since it really sounds bad to me. Not just the condition, but the sonics. Instruments trying to jump out at me, and uneven volume. I know Chris would never let anything out onto the street like this. Jeez. I can't figure out who butchered, er, mastered this : The Stills-Young Band - Long May You Run

I went ahead and checked the Neil Young Archives Official Release Series page, to make sure I'm done for now. I appear to be. Thanks again @Joti Cover , I really needed to spend another $38.00 :winkgrin:

Joti Cover likes this.
  15. Myke

From Discogs :

" Joel Bernstein photographed the trio in serious poses aboard a boat, and initial copies of CSN bore that picture on the cover. The next picture Bernstein took of Crosby, Stills and Nash was a shot of them breaking into laughter at the thought of just having posed as "serious artists." The trio later decided that they liked the second photo better, and it was decided that all future pressings of CSN should bear the "laughter" photo."

Sigma6, Bananas&blow and Joti Cover like this.
  16. Joti Cover

Anytime @MYKE! Its not takning much coaxing to separate from our cash these days, is it? Thanks for the interesting notes on your “boat album”....wow, pressed by the Albert Brothers no less. Let us know what you think of DA and LMYR when you get a chance. Cheers!

17. Joti Cover

Steve Hoffman’s remastering on CD of ‘the boat album’ is stunning too. Its been my go-to version for 5 years now.

vconsumer and hodgo like this.
  18. Joti Cover

Just ordered CSN from Music Direct w the LP10 code - album & shipping $25.

19. Joti Cover

Can’t wait to get your impressions of Bellman’s Long May You Run. Again, I found the differences startling, a revelation of sorts.

20. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Looks like CB handled the most recent NIN release, Bad Witch. Regardless of your opinion of the actual music, the pressing I have sounds fantastic.

TongueDruid likes this.
  21. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

He also did the Rhino Records reissue of Ministry - Psalm 69 which sounds really good. Just be careful as it was pressed at Rainbo Records.

TongueDruid and James Bennett like this.
  22. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

I picked up the new Arthur Buck album (that's Joseph Arthur and Peter Buck), it appears to have CB etched in the dead, although I didn't spot anything in the credits.
    Still getting my head round the album but the vinyl is flat, clean and quiet.
    NP

23. Myke

Both submitted today by an Oldies.com rep.

24. Myke

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Greatest Hits - bought based on the fact only 3 tracks will duplicate w/Chris' mastering.
    The remaining 15 in my collection are mastered by others, including Bernie Grundman.
    For less than $24, I had to get it. :shrug:

25. Myke

Buffalo Springfield - Last Time Around