Chris Montez

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamesmaya, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member Thread Starter

Just snapped up DCC's Chris Montez All-Time Greatest Hits on ebay; still sealed. The best $4 CD I've ever bought. :D I can hardly wait for it to arrive in the mail.

Jim W.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

One of my favorite projects! Years in the making! Trying to get true stereo on the Monogram sides when only mono needle drops existed was a true challenge. And of course, getting A&M to agree to put their tracks on there was also tough. It all worked out though! Have fun playing Chris!

3. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

And one of my favorite cds, Steve, for having Let's Dance in true stereo (I won't spoil the stereo surprise for those who haven't heard it) - what a pleasure! And what's more, it STILL sounds like the original 45 - quite an accomplishment.

But the details, please, can you share some of those? Where have the Monogram label tapes been stored? Why had they not been used before? What were A&M's reasons for not at first licensing their tracks? Did Chris Montez intervene to move the project along? What were the problems you encountered along the way remixing and remastering?

Thanks,
    GM

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

That's one fine Cee Dee:thumbsup:

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I think the Ace UK version is still in print - same tasty mastering, yes indeedy...

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Jim,

When your CD arrives, report back and tell us if you got a turquoise or white label pressing.

ED:cool:

7. Steve Hoffman

There's a white label pressing? :confused:

8. Michael

Which one do you have ED?

9. Ed Bishop

Yep. The first has Chris' original "All You Had To Do(Was Tell Me)"[Monogram 500]in mono; the white label pressing has the same song, but by Chris & Kathy[Monogram 517]in stereo. In fact, Steve, it was you who clued me in and sent me to Tom Port to snag a copy. I did, and was surprised to find the label change. Still, nice having both copies.

BTW, while you're here, always wanted to give you a big :thumbsup: for
    the imaging of those Monogram mixes. Very nice, wide, the way music from that era should sound. Clean, warm, wonderful. And having Chris introduce the CD to us(in english and spanish)was great, too. A labor of love and the quality really shows.

10. Michael

Oh I forgot, My Chris Montez is Turquoise.:)

11. Ed Bishop

Sorry; you're right. I'll edit the above post to reflect that.

12. jamesmaya

Okie Dokie, Sarah...er ED.

Jim W.

13. Michael

Hey Ed, I have a Torquiose Label Copy with All You Had To Do(Was tell me)
    in Stereo?. :confused:

14. Ed Bishop

W E I R D ! ! Looks like Jim's about to get pot luck. Your copy does list Chris & Kathy on the back cover, right?

15. Steve Hoffman

The revised version with the duet of "All You Had To Do" was done with the turquoise label.

I've never seen a white label version. Someone at the factory forgot to put the correct color on there. Weird....

16. Michael

From the back of the Cee Dee...

Track 5-ALL YOU HAD TO DO (Was Tell Me) (1964) "Chris & Kathy" Featuring Kathy Young

17. Steve Hoffman

18. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

Looks like I'm in the white label club. Bought mine from dccblowout.com about 3 weeks ago. I'm guessing the secret handshake couldn't be far behind. Trying to remember descriptions I read about Chris Montez's voice, the word "androgynous" sticks in my mind. I think it's a fairly accurate description. I haven't heard anyone whose voice sounds quite like him. Anyone who doesn't have this CD, go pick it up. At $6.99 or less, it's a steal. This puppy glows. It's the real thing.

19. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

One of my favorites ... what happened to her Indigo tapes?

20. Steve Hoffman

Safe and sound.

21. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

So ... why hasn't there been a Kathy Young CD ... other than the Black Tulip boot? ... her LP sells for over $100.

22. Steve Hoffman

It's complicated......

23. jamesmaya

Well folks, this is quite a build-up for the Chris Montez CD. Now I'm *really* looking forward to it. And knowing that it was one of Steve's favorite projects will make it an even greater listening experience. I'm only familiar with his two hits (Let's Dance and Call Me), so this will be my "Chris Montez 101". Funny, I have the book "Barrio Rhythm - Mexican American Music in Los Angeles", by Steven Loza (1993) and there are only two scant references to him. Having grown up in the East Los Angeles area, that "eastside sound" is close to my heart.

Jim W.

24. Steve Hoffman

You'll have fun, that's for sure.

25. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Friends,

I now have this CD and the sound is vintage fantastic - it cooks!

Highly, highly recommended!

Bob:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.