Chris Montez

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamesmaya, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I've been hemming and hawing over this one...but since it collects all the good sides and is getting rave reviews here, I may just spend the couple of bucks and get it. :) (No offense to Chris, but didn't he ever get to sing in tune on those A&M sides...? ;) )

Not a huge Montez fan (I do like the arrangements and instrumental backing, though, which was the "A&M Mafia" in many cases ;) ), but I did pick up the Time After Time CD from Japan last year. Sounds nice! I'd like to get his first A&M on CD before it evaporates forever.

Montez was in town last year for the Woodward Dream Cruise...if I hadn't been busy, I would have gone up to Pontiac to see him perform. I'm waiting to get my Buick Wildcat convertible before taking part in the cruise, though...

2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member Thread Starter

Ed,

CD arrived in yesterday's (Saturday) mail, but with the Columbia tragedy, I was too bummed to enjoy it (or to do anything else resembling fun, for that matter).

The CD is the white label version w/ Chris & Kathy's version of "All You Had To Do (stereo). The Monogram sides are really fun and *great* sounding. Put 'em on the CD player at your next house party, but do so at your own risk. The proceedings might come to a temporary halt when folks on the dance floor do a double-take to see if the Chris Montez band is really playing in your own living room.

As for the A&M sides, I'd totally forgotten about the other hit "The More I See You" (a local oldies radio station here in LA used to play this tune but was dropped from the playlist years ago -- you'd also hear "Pride of Man", "Piece of My Heart", and the like, but that's another thread). One other comment about the A&M material: Chris sure got a lot of mileage out of the "handclap" track, didn't he? It's on 9 of the 11 A&M recordings.

Anyway, great stuff. Thanks Steve H. :thumbsup:

Jim W.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Good afternoon, Jim!

Well, I guess somebody at the pressing plant did pull a fast one on DCC...so there are more white label copies out there! Yes, a very enjoyable disc...I'm glad I have both, and probably wouldn't have bothered with the 2nd press(which you have)if I'd known there was an Ace CD out at the time that probably had both. But it's good to have them for reference, and thanks to Steve, first gen sound and many previously unreleased stereo mixes("Call Me" being one of them). Cannot go wrong at any price, but yours was a steal! Excellent.

ED:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.