Chris Rea Deluxe CD reissues + "One Fine Day" LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sennj, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look... Thread Starter

Did a couple of searches but didn't find anything on this. I received an email from Rhino UK this morning mentioning deluxe Chris Rea CDs and a "missing" LP/CD coming this autumn.

Chris Rea - Artists

Not sure how many on the forum are interested but I've always been a fan.

Leigh Burne, Sadcafe, Carlox and 3 others like this.
  2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I'm guessing these will not be available domestically at Rhino US since Chris has a much larger following in the UK. Great artist and the bundle price for the deluxe editions is not bad at all!

sennj likes this.
  3. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Finally! :goodie:

4. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I have mixed feelings about these reissues.
    I would've been interested with a few album (from On The Beach to Auberge basically) but the tracks choices are really putting me off.
    They choose to put on CD n° 2 many songs that have nothing to do with the album.
    For instance, for The Road To Hell 2CD deluxe reissue, you will find on the 2nd CD :

Josephine (2019 Remaster) – from New Light Through Old Windows
    Let’s Dance (2019 Remaster) – from New Light Through Old Windows
    I Can Hear Your Heartbeat (2019 Remaster) – from New Light Through Old Windows

On the 2nd CD of Auberge 2CD deluxe reissue :

Josephine (2019 Remaster) – from Fool (If You Think It’s Over) – The Definitive Greatest Hits (Germany 2008)
    Working On It (Live at NEC Birmingham 1991) [2019 Remaster] – from Nothing To Fear CD2
    On The Beach (Live in Paris 1991) [2019 Remaster] – from Nothing To Fear CD1
    Just Passing Through (Live in Paris 1991) [2019 Remaster] – from God’s Great Banana Skin CD1

All these tracks have nothing to do with the album they're associated with.
    Another thing quite disappointing is that they put 4 Josephine versions on 4 different albums instead of putting them all on Shamrock Diaries.
    Plus the fact that there is more than 4 versions of this song... :shrug:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    sennj, iloveguitars and Carlox like this.
  5. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Yeah... I agree, same feelings...

6. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

5 versions, not 4 as i've written erroneously.

7. BryanS

BryanS Forum Resident

I love all things Chris Rea up until he hit the Stony Road/Blues period around 2002. I still like the newer music, but the run from 'Water Sign' to 'God's Great Banana Skin' was incredible.
    I thought the La Passione expanded reissue was fabulous and when I heard there was going to be deluxe reissues I was majorly up for it.

I'll still buy them but like many of you I'm a little underwhelmed by them.

I've ordered the "One Fine Day" LP+CD mainly because of the beautiful artwork which should look gorgeous on a 12" LP Cover.

I think he's made a remarkable contribution to music and I hope his health is as good as can be. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves, but that's life.

bever70, rs4951, Jarleboy and 5 others like this.
  8. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

You should try The Blue Jukebox (2004). Late night music and really worth listening to IMO. I like it a lot.

bever70, rs4951 and BryanS like this.
  9. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Really hoping for a remix of Water Sign. A superb album that was rush released in its day before it was finalised (so i believe)

10. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Chris Rea

...where this stuff ended up being talked about a bit more..

11. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Found the orginal German 80s/90s CDs from Water Sign up to Auberge dirt cheap in good to great condition in a used shop. They all sound great.

Carlox, rs4951 and George Cooke like this.
  12. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I think these were released last week, weren't they? Any comments on sound quality yet?

Ecki and Carlox like this.
  13. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Commentary in the thread I linked in posting above..all positive vibe so far.

Sdp likes this.
  14. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Ah! Sorry and thanks at the same time.

rs4951 likes this.
  15. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Went for the Rhino bundle. Adds up to 73 EUR incl shipping, but since the sets are 20 each around here it seems a good deal.

Sdp and rs4951 like this.
  16. Ecki

Ecki Forum Resident

On The Beach is an all time favourite of mine. I like this very special atmosphere/character of the album. Never annoying, never boring, just so elegant.
    But i do not trust in modern remastering any more...

billnunan and Floyd Crazy like this.
  17. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

No need to worry. The remastering seems absolutely fine and tip notch. No sense of compression that I can detect.

Sdp, Carlox and rs4951 like this.
  18. Ecki

Ecki Forum Resident

BTW all the remasters are available on Spotify (both Discs, each). From a quick listen, i agree, the remasters are louder than the original releases, but not compressed.

Sdp likes this.
  19. F.U.B.B

F.U.B.B Forum Resident

Number of times you get asked who are your favourite artists. We’ve all been there. Just a thought if someone actually asked who’s music you’ve played most? Mr Rea never mentioned in the former but thinking about it for me in the latter. Always under the radar but always comes up trumps! The new deluxe stuff bloody outstanding in production and separation values. Bass solid and to the front without a hint of boom. Not even got to the bonus stuff yet but looking at the offering it’s looks a really thought out package. Thank you, CR deserves this!

20. Sdp

Sdp Well-Known Member

Playing them now and they sound incredible. On The Beach, Dancing With Strangers, The Road To Hell and Auberge. Yes the bonus disks are a bit confusing but the quality of the remasters is some of the best I have heard.

Carlox likes this.
  21. Sdp

Sdp Well-Known Member

Absolutely Stunning!

eelkiller likes this.
  22. George Cooke

If you were to measure shelf space taken up, CR would be in the top 5 of my collection.

Of the 863 songs I have ripped of his ceedees I have, the sonics are great - not a dud amongst them.

The stuff on vinyl is wonderful too in that format.

The cassette versions all satisfy me highly as well.

Such a high quality songwriter, musician and, I believe, creative human being.

Many people may not appreciate how good his post-Road to Hell work has been..

...or how ambitious. I mean,for heaven's sake, how often does one artist put out an 11 CD set of new material in one go, along with artwork of their own - let alone the fact that it (Blue Guitar) was consistently of the highest quality.

All the time against a backdrop of genuinely life changing heath.

Truly outstanding.

nsm, Sadcafe, LoveandTheft and 5 others like this.
  23. George Cooke

Yes, agreed. A fine, fine example of compact disc remastering.

It's hard for me to criticise any Chris Rea I have - it's so well done in the first place. Even the early albums you can pick up for peanuts these days.

Sdp likes this.
  24. Sdp

Sdp Well-Known Member

So good! Hate to say but he reminds me of Mark Knopfler, in a good way!!

25. George Cooke

Yes, there is also a common link with the northeast of England.

Man at C&A and Sdp like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.