Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Phosphorescent Harvest

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Further, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Further

Further Forum Resident Thread Starter

image.jpg

The CHRIS ROBINSON BROTHERHOOD are set to unveil their third studio album PHOSPHORESCENT HARVEST on April 29 via Silver Arrow Records. The band--Chris Robinson (lead vocals, guitar), Neal Casal (guitar, vocals), Adam MacDougall (keys, vocals), George Sluppick (drums) and Mark Dutton (bass, vocals)--will also hit the road in conjunction with the album's release. The tour officially starts April 29 at Terrapin Crossroads in San Rafael, CA with dates confirmed into late May (and more to be announced).

PHOSPHORESCENT HARVEST is a treasure trove of 10 songs--including several the band road-tested over the last few years--that advances the band's kaleidoscopic sound, which is deeply soulful, rootsy and spacey all at once. There's strong songcraft here, with a free-flowing delivery; it is music that is in no hurry to reach its destination but firmly knows where it is going. From the beginning, the CRB set out to do something different from what they had done before, creating their own scene with a musical prowess, cohesive songwriting and a unified commitment to experimentation, both in the studio and on the road (they've performed over 230 shows since forming in 2011).

"The best perspective I have on what's going on in my life--good and bad--is what comes out in the songs," says Chris Robinson. "As you move on in time, you get older, you have relationships. Some of them are good, some fail. Friends. Drugs. Life. Death. People come, people go. Songwriting is a completely different emotional response to your life and to what it means, to in some poetic nature, put it out there."

PHOSPHORESCENT HARVEST follows the release of the companion albums Big Moon Ritual (June 2012) and The Magic Door (September 2012) plus last year's live quadruple vinyl Betty's S.F. Blends, Vol 1. The group continues to record with producer Thom Monahan, and Robinson wrote all of the songs with Casal, save for two that are Robinson solo compositions ("Tornado," "Jump The Turnstiles").

"We're really going by the electricity and the vibrations that we can sort of tune in to," Robinson recently told Relix magazine (Jan/Feb '14). "There's a psychedelic component to it. That's part of the greasing the wheels of the great cosmic engine, with psychedelic thought and philosophy and action. If you get my drift." He went on to talk about the more rock and roll feel on PHOSPHORESCENT HARVEST, and his overall vision for the Brotherhood: "I'm not going to have hit records. I don't write pop songs. But then again, I find a deep need to express myself and how I'm feeling and where I am and where I've been and where I'm going by writing songs. Why change something to make it easier for anyone else, when I think if we stay sincere and keep our energies in a real creative place, then people will wander into our small community, and it maybe would get more popular…to tend that garden is a great responsibility. But I want it to grow."

Rolling Stone editor David Fricke picked the CHRIS ROBINSON BROTHERHOOD as one of his favorites of 2012, and praised their live performance in New York City, saying "…the singer's acid-country Brotherhood, with ex-Ryan Adams guitarist Neal Casal, were a sublime time onstage and across these two albums, recorded at the same sessions and issued six months apart. The Irving Plaza show was a characteristic live high. In the second set, Robinson steered out of a rattling ‘Tough Mama,' from Bob Dylan's Planet Waves, into the long reverie ‘Girl on the Mountain,' a song from an earlier side trip, New Earth Mud, given fresh air and a new coat of DayGlo paint (1/30/13)."

Track listing for PHOSPHORESCENT HARVEST:
    1. Shore Power
    2. About a Stranger
    3. Meanwhile In The Gods....
    4. Badlands Here We Come
    5. Clear Blue Sky & The Good Doctor
    6. Beggar's Moon
    7. Wanderer's Lament
    8. Tornado
    9. Jump The Turnstiles
    10. Burn Slow
    11. Humboldt Windchimes (bonus track on CD only)

**On the LP release, there is an additional 7" with "Humboldt Windchimes"/"Star Crossed Lonely Sailor."

2. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

I like the artwork on the cover.

3. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Sweet! I never listened to CRB, but was a huge Black Crowes fan, so I was stoked when a local place sent me a notice that he would be playing in May. Just bought the tickets today!

Better start listening to the newer stuff.

Erik B. likes this.
  4. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Awesome! You just made my days.

Clanceman likes this.
  5. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Bought my tickets today for a show in May as well!

Get the records, great stuff.....all of it!

Jam757, macdaddysinfo and Balthazar like this.
  6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Nice art. Out of the 12 songs, live versions of five have previously been released. So seven completely new songs there. That's not a bad thing as I knew half of The Magic Door too and love that record.

7. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Just buy Big Moon Ritual . You will not be dissappointed.

jeffsab and Balthazar like this.
  8. moops

moops Senior Member

Quite a lot of tracks on this new one, maybe less extended jams more concise songs ? ...... One of the nicest surprises of the last couple of years were the CRB releases. Chris really seems to have found his niche and what a position to be in ..... just putting out the music you want to write and play without worrying about it's commercial viability. Bring on the new album, can't wait ..... and I hope they continue to build a stellar body of work. :thumbsup:

macdaddysinfo and Clanceman like this.
  9. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Really enjoyed the first album.
    Magic Door, not so much.
    I will definitely check this one out.
    May have to buy the vinyl twice.
    That cover would look great framed and hanging on a wall somewhere in my home.
    Glen

10. gregk72

gregk72 Forum Resident

I have been lucky enough to get all the CRB LP's which are slowly going out of print. I was also lucky enough to snag the Betty's Blends on RSD. Super excited. Haven't heard music like this in a few years. 2014 is shaping up to be a great year.

11. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

Love the crowes. Have since they first emerged nationally. Love Chris' first two solo records. This magnificent distance is beautiful. Have tried hard to get into CRB and cannot. For me, toooo psychedelic. And I love jams and meandering. I will give it a listen. And again try and hope but not optimistic. Having said that I love that he does what moves him, not please the masses. Just not my thing

Carserguev likes this.
  12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Or lightning fast out of print for this one. Best RSD release of either day in 2013, IMO.

gregk72 likes this.
  13. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Holy psychedelic album cover, Batman!

:cheers:

riverrat likes this.
  14. Further

Hoping we get some pre-order info for this one soon. This will be the first one that's been released before a tour rather than after it, so pretty excited to hear the new songs that haven't been played yet. Apparently, this one is said to be more song and less jam oriented and with a little more edge to the sound, so should be interesting. Although, I'm sure they'll still stretch it out live. That cover art is gorgeous, isn't it? Think I'll be needing 2 copies of this one!

15. gregk72

gregk72 Forum Resident

I am wondering if VOLUME ONE of Betty's Blends is just band humour or if indeed there are plans to release a second volume. I'm listening to the full set of the five shows. They are 2.5 hours long but there is a wealth of material to put together a second volume.

I am also surprised that some of the original CRB songs on Blends like Train Robbers are not going to be featured on the new album. Love that tune.

16. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Haven't heard about a vol 2. I think Train Robbers was originally a New Earth Mud tune, right?

17. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Yes it was, on the 2nd NEM album. It was originally called Last of The Old Time Train Robbers.

A Volume 2 would be great, as that package is one of the nicest releases I've bought in years and well worth the £37 I paid at the time.

But I'm certainly happy about a new album on the way, Chris has hit a very productive streak recently. But again another Crowes song retread - really? I don't think that is needed but hey, a minor complaint.

BTW, the tracks on the bonus 7" are available to hear on Spotify.

And with Rich also releasing an album this year (May I think), it's another good year for fans of solo Crowes.

All I need is for CRB to come to the UK which is a long shot as Chris has never played a solo show here. Shame .....

18. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

This is awesome. CRB was the best live show I've seen in more than two decades.

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.

19. gregk72

gregk72 Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat here JP. Canada is so close but not close enough to California.

20. Further

As good as the live shows are that Betty's Blends Volume 1 was taken from, I don't think a Volume 2 would be pulled from that run. They've mentioned how cool it would be to be able to take her on the road with them to record everything, so my guess is a Volume 2 will come from a future run, which will work out great since some of the as yet unplayed songs from the new album can be included. At the very least, I'm sure she will record their next San Francisco run.

I was also one of the lucky ones that got the vinyl set and it's the best money I've spent in a long time.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  21. Further

22. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Yes, just listened to that. Not at all what I was expecting, but very enjoyable.

23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Awesome! I somehow completely missed this thread until today. The first two CRB albums were great. Hoping for more of the same, though I do wish there were some new Crowes material.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  24. Graham

Graham Senior Member

25. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

Song is better (new Chris) than the last few releases, but I miss the NEM Chris.. Rich' new song pretty cool... typical Rich solo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.