Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

No real info, really. But it can't be an unknown band and be listed that high on the festival poster. And CRB is already playing, so it's not like he needs another solo outlet. There's definitely some dots needing to be connected here, but so far nothing suggested in this thread seems implausible. (On the festival website, they're the only band without an image or even proper URL link to a bio).

There's too much festival money flying around, and it's not going to last forever...I'm sure promoters have thrown some dollar signs at Chris before to do something Crowes-related, but now that Magpie is a thing, maybe he's taking them up on it instead of losing all those lucrative festival gigs to his brother. Looking at the venues CRB plays, it's certainly not a lucrative enterprise, especially with the amount of recording they do. Chris could probably fund the entire next CRB record just from playing 10-12 As The Crow Fly festival dates. Again, all total speculation on my part.

“But that isn’t to say I’m not proud of the music we made as the Crowes,” Robinson said. “Those are some very good songs, and the time will come when I want to sing them again. But for now, I just want to follow the path I’m on.”

Apparently that time is next April. :laugh:

Hep Alien, Bonddm and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  2. walrus

A Magpie studio record of new tunes could stir up some Crowes-like magic. Much like the Mick/Keith dynamic, IMO Rich was really the keeper of the Crowes sound, and I dare say John Hogg is a better hard rock vocalist than Chris Robinson is in 2017. Hogg had a great band called Moke in the late 90's (who opened for the Crowes, which is how he got connected with Rich), so I know he's got the potential for some solid tunes in him if Rich can still come up with good riffs.

3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

As an aside, from that poster I saw At Paul and the Broken Bones this summer, they were pretty good, they're a southern soul band from Birmingham, Alabama.

As you were...

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Who wrote what in the Crowes? What was the dynamic between the brothers?

5. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Here is a recent interview with Chris Robinson, it doesn't seem like something he is really wanting to revisit.

I'm not saying it's not true, but I would be a strange 180 for him to do that.

Chris Robinson talks leaving The Black Crowes and being truly happy

The audiences at the CRB shows aren't really expecting any Black Crowes songs, are they?

Nobody's been asking for them. I don't even see any Black Crowes T-shirts in the crowd. But that isn't to say I'm not proud of the music we made as the Crowes. Those are some very good songs, and the time will come when I want to sing them again. But for now, I just want to follow the path I'm on.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. WarEagleRK

For the most part Rich wrote the music, Chris the lyrics and the melodies.

7. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

He has already done it... :laugh:

...in this solo show last month:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Hep Alien and WarEagleRK like this.
  8. walrus

They're one of the best live acts on the planet right now.

The Killer likes this.
  9. walrus

Damn...saw him a few weeks before, and it was nothing like that setlist.

10. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

Respectfully disagree. Magpie Salute is a rock band not a dance show. Much like tedeschi trucks band. No glitz just amazing music. Respect your view but see it differently.

11. I don't get the use of "suburbanite" as a pejorative. It's a place, not a personal attribute. I could think of a million reasons to rag on the values of people who come from inner cities, but realizing that people are individuals is a good reason not to do so.

That said: Chris Robinson is clearly in the wrong for how he's treated the band.

12. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, he's not playing any of Crowes songs (outside of tunes later day tunes he penned & Hard to Handle) at CRB shows.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  13. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Another confusing turn. At this point nothing surprises me though.

ianuaditis and Hep Alien like this.
  14. walrus

Yeah I just now realized the post above was about an actual solo show, not the CRB. I didn't know he did solo gigs. (Although I still refer to CRB as "Chris' solo project," no matter what he claims the band dynamics are)

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. cable hogue

Rich confirmed the CR news last night during this really good interview & acoustic performance with Marc Ford conducted by Alan Paul.

clhboa, Further, Rhett and 4 others like this.
  16. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Who said anything about dancing??? I sure as heck didn't.

I have seen Tedeschi Trucks, Derek and Susan look like Mic Jagger compared to Magpie

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I'm still unclear how the OP made the connection between the band listed as "As the Crow Flies" and Chris Robinson, except that they are both playing at the same festival?

violetvinyl likes this.
  18. cable hogue

Loose lips.

Bonddm likes this.
  19. WarEagleRK

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

[​IMG]

21. WarEagleRK

I am surprised that Luther would be in it, he left the Black Crowes with a pretty bad taste in his mouth about the experience from what all I had read.

To be a singer in his own band I never understood that during the time Luther was in the band that he wasn't even a background vocalist in the Crowes.

22. walrus

For me it was the listing on the poster. Trust me, the order of artist names on a festival or gig poster is not random or casual.

ianuaditis and cable hogue like this.
  23. walrus

I've heard Luther sing lead, and...well, I understand why he didn't sing with the Crowes. :hide:

24. ChesterB

ChesterB Well-Known Member

25. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I dig both Rich and Chris and I've followed both of their projects, though I give the slight nod to CRB for hitting my cosmic hippie vibes. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, but I'm feeling like this might not be Chris' thing. Or not fully his idea. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but surely it'd be "As The Crowe Flies", no? I mean, if he wanted to make that link explicit.

Again, who knows with these guys. as others have pointed out, this would be a big 180 from what he's said lately. I also get the sense that he's enjoying the heck out of CRB and I'd be surprised to see another band from him so soon. Maybe it's just a one-off?

ianuaditis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.