Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Not to mention, Chris Robinson even dressed like he used to in the 90s. The whole thing is a stain on whatever the Crowes' legacy might be (after the depressing 2013 tour).

DrBeatle, Rockin' Robby and Erik B. like this.
  2. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Hey be nice, it's tough to be a Raiders fan!
    In fact Chris could be their coach, since he gets rid of all their best players.
    Coach Chris says:
    Sorry Marc but you're gone.
    Sorry Steve but you're gone.
    Sorry Rich but you're gone.

Hep Alien, Rockin' Robby and Erik B. like this.
  3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Hearing very very bad things about the new Betty’s Blends. Anyone care to comment ?

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  4. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

What are you hearing? Mine isn't here yet.

Erik B. likes this.
  5. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Mine gets here today. Hearing that the sq is not up to snuff

Wiserforthetime and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

In fact all over my FB CRB groups they are saying how chit the sound quality is, which is weird since its Betty.

7. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I think the issue is that it's more expensive than previous Betty releases that were 3LPs ($80 vs $60), and those came with CDs and/or digital-download that this does not.

8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

No I am talking purely of sound quality

9. Graham

Graham Senior Member

10. Rizzy

Rizzy New Member

Is Tony Leone still in the CRB?

11. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Yes, he took a month or two off. Don’t know why. Neal Casal did the same thing a few months back.

12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Took a month or two off of what? The band didn't tour without them I take it.

13. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Yes, both were temporarily replaced on the road. Don’t know who Neal’s was but the Circles Around The Sun drummer stepped in for Tony.

People have private lives. They’re middle-aged, some have children, maybe they’ve elderly parents or a personal problem?

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Really? That is surprising to hear that Chris toured without Neal.

I know that Circles around the sun cancelled some dates in August, but was back later that month.
    Might be connected.

15. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

Chris is an unstoppable road dog. Hopefully he doesn't burn out his cohorts in CRB. Neal's replacement was Greg Loiacano of the fantastic Mother Hips. I love Neal, but I'd be interested in hearing some of those shows.

cable hogue and budwhite like this.
  16. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I think the other thing that hurt "By Your Side" (for me anyways) was the whole glam look they adopted.

California Couple likes this.
  17. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident Thread Starter

He's due back after their short Thanksgiving tour break.

If I were Tony, I'd be a bit worried about being Wally Pipped though. Mark Levy from Circles Around the Sun did an incredible job filling in on drums. They were playing with renewed energy in October IMO.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. cable hogue

Never heard why Neal was out. The CATS shows and his absence from the first leg of the CRB tour were do to unforeseen health issues, or something along those lines. Like Bob said, CR is almost peerless when it comes to his touring pace. Just when you think CRB might be due for an extended break, another tour is announced. It's like what Chris said in an interview recently: even people who can't stand him anymore will be the first to say the guy is obsessed with music.

Hep Alien, highway chile and budwhite like this.
  19. cable hogue

Filming the first ATCF gig live was a mistake, says Marcus King, who seems to admit what a lot of us could see when they were live streaming rehearsals: He was in over his head.

liveforlivemusic.com/features/exclusives/marcus-king-interview-dec-2018/?fbclid=IwAR30gXXcytOdR3w31E6jJBEncFjCUdiqTpx45UeH0FHFyhbEUBhS2DvBlro

“I feel really strongly about the fact we’re coming back to the venue where we did the first-ever show, that for some reason, we also decided to video and record for people to listen to for years to come,” King laments about ATCF’s first visit to The Cap. “That was such a poor example of what the band was really about. I don’t know if I speak for the rest of the group, but that first night there was so much hesitation on my part and so much worry that I wasn’t going to be able to do the parts that Rich [Robinson] wrote any justice.”

“As I grew into myself on that tour, I had to really get it into my mind that I was playing Rich’s parts, but I was putting my interpretation on to them,” he says. “As that tour went on, I became much more confident with that idea while also doing my best to pay respect to those songs and the Black Crowes fantastic catalog of music.”

Bonddm, agentalbert, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  20. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Opening 3 songs.

JLPMacca and southamorican like this.
  21. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Hmmm. Flicked through this footage but all I see is Chris dressed in his Crowes uniform doing all his old moves almost like a parody of himself.

Fair play to anyone who enjoys it but I wouldn't open my curtains if these guys were playing in my back garden.

I've seen and heard these songs played much better to be in any way impressed by this cash grab.

'Look at what money can buy' indeed.

22. Dude still can't play the intro to 'Sting Me' properly. Obviously, Chris couldn't even help him sort that out.

23. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

Sounds great, if anything the mix is horrendous. Of course Chris is doing his old moves, he is not playing a guitar. To say the duo of King and Freed are not doing justice to the Crowe’s material is nonsense.

Chris put together a great band and wants to play music he wrote, it’s part of his legacy and he can play what he wants.

budwhite, Bonddm and Wiserforthetime like this.
  24. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

The beginning with 'Feeling Alright' was great. Everyone in this band is a great musician. But the Crowes songs just don't sound right without Rich (and Steve).

25. Graham

Graham Senior Member

It's the stench of ego and sycophantic hero worship by She Talks To Angels fans that kills this for me. And that's even before factoring in hearing this cover band play Rich's songs, and often badly. I'm starting to think that Chris is almost entirely surrounded by yes men these days (and I like the Brotherhood quite a bit).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.