Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

RIGHT? And then to extract the riff for a BYS B-Side? "You Don't Have To Go" is glaringly inferior.

painted8 and cable hogue like this.
  2. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

The first live version of Pastoral from 1995 is one of my top 20 fave tbc songs.

3. Robamorican

They are right up there with The Beach Boys with head scratching decisions throughout their career.

e.g.. they get the band back together, reunite with Ford.. so much buzz..sold out shows. Out comes THE LOST CROWES

So many songs they can release to promote it... Tied Up & Swallowed? nope Paint an 8? no Never Forget This Song (my choice)..no...

let's release London P.25 because THAT makes sense....and buzz officially killed.

4. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident Thread Starter

I actually like You Don't Have to Go, mainly because it's just such a great riff and I like Ed's contributions on that one. But I definitely miss the Marc Ford wah-wah on Pastoral.

Then it eventually morphed into Then She Said My Name, which is easily the worst of the three. Black Crowes gonna crowe.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. cable hogue

And they toured behind The Lost Crowes in fall 2006 and basically ignore it. Granted, they were limping along without Ed and Marc.

Then, in typical TBC fashion, they randomly debut Predictable one night in Arizona with Paul Stacey and Rob Clores, and nail it like they've played the tune 500 times over the years. And never play it again.

6. Robamorican

this is too easy.. they're so predictable

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Anyone have a full list of Crowes originals that were only performed live but never put out in studio versions? Magic Rooster Blues and Cold Boy Smile come to mind. I really liked those when the band started playing them, and was disappointed they never made a record. If Chris ever wanted to have ATCF make an album, recording Crowes songs that never got studio releases might be an interesting idea. I'd still prefer to hear them with Chris, AND Rich and Steve. But I'd probably buy the CD if they put one out.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Robamorican

That's so interesting.. I'm listening to the studio Pastoral now. I never realized the lack of Ed. I was always so entranced with the track that I didn't notice.

9. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Yep. "Let's release a different version of one of our least popular (among Crowes fans who know all of the songs!"

Matthew Tate and Robamorican like this.
  10. Robamorican

Frayed probably had something like that, but that's well defunct.

As for Chris putting something like that out.. he shares writing credit on all of those songs with Rich. I don't foresee him wanting to coat his brother's pockets. Hell, Rich would have to agree and I doubt he would.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Robamorican

In his defense.. it's a very Crowes thing to do haha.

painted8 likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

probably a decently long list

13. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Chris’ Silver Arrow Records have reissued ‘Lost Crowes’ and ‘Before the Frost’ in recent years.

Desolation Row and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. veon

veon Forum Resident

The most infuriating thing about TBC at this juncture (to me anyway) isn’t the melodrama between the brothers, the minimal chance for reconciliation or insane decisions they made while they were a functioning band. It’s how they can’t dig into the archives and officially release the wealth of studio riches they have...

15. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Of that list, I’m pretty sure CRB have never played “High Head Blues”, but As the Crow Flies played it.

Desolation Row likes this.
  16. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, this for me as well.

Or how about at least a well-mastered vinyl of "Band Sessions"?
    If that was an official album, it would easily be my 2nd favorite Crowes album after Companion, just a notch above Amorica.

17. cable hogue

He's played it solo acoustic (I think it's the only TBC tune pre Warpaint that CR wrote solo), but you're right, never in CRB.

Gaz Mit, Bonddm and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

This is neither here nor there, but I wanted to randomly point out how much I love Gorman on the cover of Companion, and how he looks more like the band's accountant and/or manager rather than their drummer....

[​IMG]

19. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Here’s a quick list of Crowes originals played live but never released on a studio album – this is off the top of my head so may have missed a couple. There are other originals which were never played live nor released in studio format …

Some of these songs (marked *) have technically been officially released, but not studio and only via Instant Live or BCRS

Charming Mess
    Kick The Devil Outta Me
    You’re Such A Pity
    You’re Wrong
    Miserable
    Bruises & Pills
    On That Hollow Day
    Bewildered *
    The Fear Years
    The Nowhere Stairs
    Bitter Bitter You
    Grinnin (‘released’ on Lost Crowes, but in reality is ‘Ok By Me’ – the original ‘Grinnin’ remains unreleased)
    Exit (live version available on ‘Wiser For The Time’)
    Pastoral
    Title Song (live version available on ‘Live’ from 2002) *
    Name Like Music *
    Nothing Love Everything *
    Spider In The Sugarbowl Blues *
    Bled To Death *
    It’s All For You
    Late Nights Again (BOAF)
    Cut From The Shadow (BOAF)
    Share My Blanket
    Cold Boy Smile (released on ‘Croweology’) *
    Magic Rooster Blues *
    It Takes One To Know One *
    Take Off From The Future *
    Ready For Rain
    Little Lizzie Mae *
    Find A Pearl (played at Cabin Fever sessions)

20. Gaz Mit

Gaz Mit Well-Known Member

I maintain, next to just rolling with the CRB, the best thing that CR could do is take this one man acoustic show on the road. I'm indifferent on ATCF, but I would travel to see just him and a guitar.

21. Gaz Mit

Gaz Mit Well-Known Member

There are at least 50 people that would buy the career spanning b-side/unreleased box set at this point. How aren't they jumping on that lucrative bandwagon! :laugh:

22. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

How this band didn't officially studio release a KILLER tune like Title Song is beyond me. Like ... WHY!? I saw them perform it in 1995 (if memory serves ... long time ago) and it was the highlight of the gig.

This band's history of shooting themselves in the foot is legendary. Right up there with Van Halen (who's self-immolation in 1985 and 1996 is right up there with the best examples of shooting yourself in the foot with a bazooka) in how you can take opportunities and just ruin them beyond all measure. Still, though, I'll never take back the shows I saw. Still my favorite band.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  23. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Great list, but Croweology is a studio album so an officially released studio version of Cold Boy Smile does exist.

Also, tell me more about Find A Pearl - I don’t have that one. Is it out there?

Desolation Row and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. cable hogue

All I know is it was only played once at the final night of the Cabin Fever session. Chris and Adam only.

Graham likes this.
  25. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Interesting, thanks. Sounds like a CR composition then.

Matthew Tate and cable hogue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.