Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, I've been listening to a ton of the Magpie tour recordings from 2017 (check out their shows from November 2017!), and even without Chris, those BC songs sound more "correct", mostly due to Rich's feel/sound, party due to his tuning, but also a slippery feel that can't be replicated by even the best guitarists. And of course there's Marc. And while Chris usually does sound great, sometimes (mostly live), he has this weird nasal thing that can put me off, more so than Hogg not sounding "right".

2. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

I wonder if it's tuned down to fit Chris's new vocal range.

3. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

I thought about that, but it doesn't sound downtuned (half step). A lot of Rich's early Crowes songs were written in open G, for example. I learned how to play Sting Me by ear in standard tuning ... you can do it ... but it's a bear to play and you miss the open string feel to it. It looks like that is how Marcus and Audley are playing those songs. Rich is a unique player and wrote those songs with Chris in mind. Weird to hear. It's like hearing muppets with different voice actors. It's "correct" but ... off. lol

I will say Chris sounds fine for his age but he needs to stop grabbing the mic so close to his mouth. It creates a subtle kind of "I'm talking to you through a paper cup" feel to it.

4. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

“Weird” = sucks

5. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

Hi Graham, are they worth seeing? Thinking about snagging tickets for next weekend at Pappy and Harriets (fav venue).

Erik B. likes this.
  6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Definitely. Killer band. Great songs

Adam Schellin, TSWisla and RandelPink like this.
  7. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Definitely!! I just got back after seeing them at Fernwood and at the Independent. Fantastic all the way around. If anyone goes and is willing to do a forum member a favor, I would be eternally grateful. Please PM me. Thank you. But yes, you would never regret seeing them. I flew out from Chicago!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Erik B. and RandelPink like this.
  8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I would think so, yes. But I’ve never seen them as I live in London.

RandelPink likes this.
  9. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

I guess it's similar to Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE . Mike Love has some credits, but did not have to give his blessings .

10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Hey, what's "The Green Leaf Rustlers" featuring Chris Robinson?
    How is that different than his Brotherhood?
    They're playing in my neighborhood tomorrow at a TINY venue - I'm wondering if it would be worth going.

TSWisla likes this.
  11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

wavethatflag and TSWisla like this.
  12. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

Show last night was excellent, thank you to everyone for the recommendation!

wavethatflag, TSWisla and budwhite like this.
  13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Cool, they play Henry, I'd be in just for that.

It doesn't look they're playing anywhere in the Northeast soon though.

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

GO! You won’t regret it.

15. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I saw them play Henry. :D I’ve seen GLR five times now, including their recent show at the Independent.

I wonder if they’ll ever tour outside of CA. Or write songs.

I can totally understand if some Crowes fans aren’t into them. They’re basically NRPS.

budwhite, ianuaditis and TSWisla like this.
  16. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

All of you in CA are lucky! I’d be at every show. Completely obsessed with this band.

budwhite, wavethatflag and Erik B. like this.
  17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Found a couple friends to go with tomorrow - they're huge fans of Merle, Gram, Waylon, etc, so we should all enjoy it quite a bit.

TSWisla, budwhite and Erik B. like this.
  18. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Anyone know if this info - particularly the final sentence - from Rich’s Wikipedia is accurate?
    If it is, does it cast any doubt on Rich’s version of events regarding Chris’ financial demands for the Crowes to tour in 2015?

“In April 2003, however, it was announced that Hookah Brown would be going their separate ways and that Robinson would be continuing as a solo act. The guitarist later revealed that the expense of operating a full band on tour, without the backing of a record label proved too much and forced the disbanding of Hookah Brown. Prior to this, John Hogg abruptly left Hookah Brown, followed by Fionn O Lochlainn and Bill Dobrow after a contract was presented to them by Robinson's New York lawyer.”

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm pretty sure there'd be nothing Rich could do about this (or vice versa, if Rich decided to record some of these songs with Magpie), as long as both writers were credited and proper royalties were paid. Of course, they'd make a big fuss out of it in interviews, but legally one party wouldn't have to agree on anything. It'd basically be like one of them releasing a cover version, it'd just happen to be a technically unreleased song.

20. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

You mean Rich and Steve Gorman's version of events? Uh, no.

21. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

But did Steve correspond with Chris directly?
    I got the impression he heard everything via Rich.

22. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Are you trying to suggest that Rich somehow tricked Steve into thinking CR wanted his ownership stake and he could only take part in the tour as a salaried employee?? Really?

I guess I have to appreciate CR fans going all Zapruder on the events from January 2015, but Gorman did address all of this at length on his radio show at the time: https://www.jambase.com/article/audio-steve-gorman-talks-black-crowes-breakup

Doesn't look like FOX hosts the audio any longer online, but I'm sure it's out there to be found. (unless this is all an elaborate ruse or false flag conspiracy to make CR look like a selfish a-hole, of course) :rolleyes:

painted8 and Graham like this.
  23. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I don’t doubt that Chris was engaging in some lowballing, but it does appear that Rich may have engaged in some lowballing of his own with Hookah Brown.
    I have heard that interview with Steve and I’m hoping he elaborates even further in his book. It’ll also be interesting to read what he has to say about Rich, considering he made a comment in another radio interview which implied he’s no longer on speaking terms with either brother.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  24. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Drawing parallels between the dissolution of a band that existed for...checks watch...uh, 6 months and CR demanding literal ownership shares (including 100% of Gorman's) from the founders of a band that had a 25 year run is...curious?

From all accounts the Robinson brothers are no walk in the park and I've pre-ordered the book to find out all the dirty details like everyone else. None of that's going to change the fact that the legendary band on a 25 year run combusted in January of 2015 due to CR's outrageous contractual demands.

southamorican likes this.
  25. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Steve's way too smart a guy not to have understood what was going on. He's not going to just believe what one brother was telling him about what the other brother wanted/said.

Matthew Tate and southamorican like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.