Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

Well.. after the Queensryche and KingsX gig, he probably wants to end his festival season on a high note lol

painted8 likes this.
  2. Further

Further Forum Resident

That must have been some serious **** that went down between them to fire Adam and in the case of Neal, had to be building for a while, for him to decide to leave too, although maybe he just decided it was the right time to jump ship as well and back Adam at the same time, allowing him to focus more on Circles Around The Sun.

Chris has to be completely nuts. That's literally every original member of CRB except him that's gone now and I'd say he's pretty much gone, too. haha

As someone who has followed Neal long before he ever worked with Chris and will continue to do so, it sure would be great if he decides to release another solo album in the near future. I love pretty much all of his work. Absolutely fantastic player and songwriter.

3. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

Agreed. Only downside to Neal's involvement in CRB was his reduced output as a solo artist. He's a great talent, and I'm all for some more solo Neal or Hazy Malaze or whatever else tickles his fancy.

cublowell, Further and Gaz Mit like this.
  4. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Not sure why C-Rob keeps getting in personal life situations that cause chaos in every other aspect of his career. We all know the common thread here going back to the 90’s. Maybe it’s because, as Rich once said his brother thrives on chaos? Dunno. It has to be completely exhausting to be in a band with him.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. derreck

derreck Active Member

To me there is no CRB without Adam, Neal and Chris. Agree with everyone who has said that.

Erik B. likes this.
  6. Gaz Mit

Gaz Mit Well-Known Member

More CATS, more Skiffle Players (including a tour), and a solo album. Am I asking too much?

Further likes this.
  7. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Because he hasn't grown up mentally.

jmorton likes this.
  8. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

It is interesting, isn't it?

All these years with Marc in and out of the Black Crowes universe I haven't heard Chris say anything off color about Marc. It was actually Rich doing all the talking on that subject and what do you know...they're BFFers now.

I don't want a reunion. It would feel rather gross to me. A total money grab. We'd all know it. I like the synergy of Marc and Rich and I think Magpie could be a great band. I'd like to hear them feed off of the energy that made the rounds in 2017 when so many people were yapping about them being nothing more than a Crowes cover band. I like High Water I, but my knee-jerk reaction to that is the same thing that hit me when I first heard Ram or Plastic Ono Band. Rich and Marc are trying WAY too hard not to be the Black Crowes. I don't think it would matter if they just wrote songs without considering their past. "Omission" IS a cool tune. Does it have a hint of Black Crowes? Certainly. Do I care? Nope.

Chris feels like a vile human being to me these days. All the crap talking about Magpie and then he goes off to do ATCF. WTF, dude? I will admit, though, that I had a hard time with Chris even IN the Black Crowes. He runs his mouth and it's lame. I just want you to be chill and sing your songs. That's it. And it's not that I dislike it when musicians speak out politically or about what ever is on their mind. It's ALL good to me, BUT there is a good way to go about doing it and then there is Chris's way.

#TeamMagpie

painted8, jmorton and Robamorican like this.
  9. coachd53

coachd53 Active Member

I agree, when the CRB came out my wife and I saw them in 2011 in Somerville, MA and was hooked ever since. I really loved that band and saw them at least 20 times in and around Boston, it would be very hard to replace that chemistry and how they all played together, it is a shame, it would be nice if the Crowe’s could tour every two years and maybe make some new music but also keep CRB and magpie out there. But I guess that is a pipe dream. The reported TBC reunion has to happen now doesn’t it? I am kind of excited to see them come back but I will miss CRB.

TSWisla likes this.
  10. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Hey, We're mixing at the Beach Festival in L.A. with As the Crow Flies & Bob Weir tonight!

streaming live right now.....and all three days....

[​IMG]

Bruce Hornsby: 3-4pm
    Steel Pulse:4:15-5:00pm
    As The Crow Flies: 5-6:30pm
    Bob Weir & guests 7:30-9:30pm
    Pacific Times

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  11. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Well said

12. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

Has it been officially announced Neal is out also?

13. Complier

Complier Senior Member

14. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Sorry for the double post.

15. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Wow.

They sound GREAT.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. BigDaddyWil

BigDaddyWil Forum Resident

Agreed!!!

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  17. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

I’m not even a big CRB fan outside of their first couple of releases and I would totally agree with this. Don’t like Adam’s contributions much at all, but he’s probably the biggest signature part of that band outside of Chris.

18. Former Lee Warmer

Benji Shanks playing in open tunings makes all the difference in the world. The keyboard player is legit. Jackie played with fire. As big of a fan of Audley Freed as I am, this ATCF 2.0 lineup is waaaay better than the first one, already.

More chemistry between the players...

Bonddm and jmorton like this.
  19. Former Lee Warmer

I really like the new keyboard player.

20. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

I agree and Chris has some energy for the first time in years. I think he is happy with this ATCF lineup

21. Former Lee Warmer

Yup. It's a better fit. Marcus King, as great of a player as he is, was out of his element and in over his head.

Benji Shanks is an extremely versatile player who is a veteran, and most importantly, is well versed in playing in open tunings. Ironic that he was originally slated to take over Marc's spot before Luther made himself available, and now he's doing the RR parts predominantly in ATCF...

22. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Yep! Still not a big fan of Jackie but they are playing with some fire!

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  23. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

It helped that the mix was a hell of a lot better than when the Relix Channel streamed the previous lineup.

segue, alemondo and Former Lee Warmer like this.
  24. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Exactly like that but not totally not Chris’s fault in any way lol

25. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Hagar is in the True Fans of The Magpie Salute Facebook page whipping up reunion talk. Guy is consistent. Gotta hand it to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.