Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Yep, i have a ticket for that festival day (saturday). The next day CRB are also playing at this festival but i'm not going on friday and sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if MS and CRB were deliberately not booked to appear on the same festival day. I'm not bummed missing the CRB performance because i gonna see a full club show 10 days later in Berlin, Germany.

[​IMG]

jmorton likes this.
  2. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Thanks! Brings back memories!

Efus likes this.
  3. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

Saturday & Sunday look like good fun, what an eclectic mix

Efus likes this.
  4. derreck

derreck Active Member

My takes on the interview...

"I don’t think our band is like that, you know? People see AC/DC with Axl Rose singing. I don’t know that a lot of people are going to give a **** if it isn’t Adam on keys."

HUGE difference there IMO. Axl can sound like Brian Johnson. Who sounds like Adam? Who interacts with Neal and Chris like Adam did?

My buddy was at the Jubilee this past weekend, and he's a big jam fan whose opinion I completely respect. His take on CRB with Pete was that it seemed like Pete didn't know the songs that well.

There's a difference between AC/DC (rock the songs people know) and CRB (jam ALL the songs in the catalog). It's one thing to play the hits the way people expect. It's entirely another thing to jam on tunes where people expect a new journey every time. Not to mention a completely different setlist from night to night.

I'm not saying Adam isn't replaceable in the band, but the chemistry developed over 8 years with him is indeed irreplaceable. It took about a year each for Tony and Jeff to become part of the moving organism, and a new keys player might take even longer.

"It was time for Adam to go, you know what I mean? For me, and for him."

This statement confirms the rumors as I see it. They both thought it was time for the same reason at the same moment (cough...Camille...cough).

"This record contains a lot of stuff: feelings, textures, sounds, lyrics … it’s about love and going through an intense divorce [in 2018], and having a new love in my life, and also about the band going through its struggles last year."

To me it seems all the "struggles" started when CR broke up Alan Forbes' relationship and his own in the process. Then Neal needed a break, then Tony and eventually Adam (Crowes > CRB > ATCF). Which leads to...

"It’s just been eight years at this point of constant, constant touring. I would actually like to take some time off, be at home, love up my woman, spend some time with kids."

As has been said many times by many people, more built in breaks would have done wonders for the longevity of the CRB.

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I can almost guarantee that if that isn't written into their contracts, then the managers of both know not to do that. That they're even both booked at the same festival is kind of bonkers, really, but neither band is big enough to be able to be choosy about festival gigs, so this is happening.

Efus likes this.
  6. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

Chris Robinson Brotherhood being lower on the bill than Level 42 makes me really happy for some reason. And I genuinely enjoy both bands. It's just a funny, unexpected thing to see (though I get Level 42 has always enjoyed a higher profile in Europe).

7. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

I don’t think either are particularly choosy. Well...CRB aren’t. Im surprised Magpie haven’t been in more festivals. There was that Copper Mountain start to their tour last year and this thing. Seems like the festival atmosphere would be perfect for Magpie. Maybe they haven’t been invited to many? Who knows. One thing I’ve respected about Magpie is playing even when attendance has been godawful for some of their dates (particularly in 2017). They’ve put in the work...and I’m sure they aren’t making money on this stuff.

Bonddm and walrus like this.
  8. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

CR is also a football (soccer) fan, he supports Italy and A.S. Roma. I have seen him wearing two different Francesco Totti A.S. Roma shirts on stage.

[​IMG]

Sven is an F.C. Bayern Munich and Athletic Bilbao fan.

[​IMG]

And everyone knows Steve is an Arsenal fan.

Efus, jmorton and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Interview with Adam here.
    Circles Around the Sun: Simply Serendipitous | The Aquarian
    Sounds to me like they had a gentleman's agreement to be polite about each other

10. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident Thread Starter

If that was the case, Chris barely held up his end of the bargain.

11. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, that sounds like a ton of drama. The writing was on the wall when Neal and Tony sat out legs of the fall tour.

I suppose thi$ is how you end up singing Kiss songs in Orlando with the Jersey Boys, Sugar Ray and Sebastian Bach.

12. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Chris setting that gentleman's agreement on fire is as inevitable as a Jenga stack falling.

13. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

Wow. Didn't realize this.

It's on the fest site, but not on magpies Facebook. Good catch.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

15. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

16. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I’d venture a guess that Chris also thinks that Neal is similarly easily replaceable!

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Chris is getting more and more replaceable by the minute. That interview rubbed me the wrong way.

18. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Yeah, I’m a big fan and really enjoy CRB, but that interview had a similar effect on me!

19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I have been on board the CR train since Shake Your Money Maker and saw the Crowes on their Amorica tour. I have always been able to ignore his ahole nature. I'm not sure if I can continue to do so.

Adam was a signature part of the Brotherhood sound. And he dismissed him and his musical contribution with one fell swoop.

20. Graham

Graham Senior Member

If we’re being really unkind, CR has replaced Adam with the guy who was in Starship and who played bass on We Built This City.

21. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Well...if Chris can sing a Kiss song with a bunch of washed up musicians a few months back ... the guy from Starship isn’t too far a leap

22. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Wow. You really are being unfair. Pete Sears is an amazing musician. This board is really wild. We go from trashing Adam and calling him “oven mitts” to elevating him to irreplaceable status. Now, trashing his accomplished replacement. Sad.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  23. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Hence “if we were being really unkind”. But it’s still true... he played on We Built This City. :laugh:

Efus likes this.
  24. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Many artists including The Rolling Stones and Beatles have had many cringeworthy and head-scratching performances and phases. It doesn’t diminish their accomplishments.

Vinyl_Blues, Matthew Tate and Efus like this.
  25. Efus

Efus Senior Member

True, but lets be fair, my friend.

In addition to the classic laidback mid 70s Jefferson Starship stuff, Pete Sears also played a bunch on Rod Stewart's classic first 3 solo albums;
    piano on Every Picture Tells A Story, Country Comfort, and Reason To Believe, celesta on Maggie May, bass on Cut Across Shorty,
    as well as other stuff on those albums.

He also did a pretty good 10 year run with Jack and Jorma in Hot Tuna on keys.
    His pedigree and resume is a tad more impressive than the guy he's replacing, imo.

Ive seen the CRB twice, so no real interest in seeing it again, but if Pete Sears was playing with them, Id probably go see that.

Matthew Tate and TSWisla like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.