Christian Marclay: The Clock

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AveryKG, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks Thread Starter

Currently showing at the Tate Modern in London, I was wondering if anyone else here has seen this, or at least any part of this, great art installation in any of its previous showings around the world. Basically, it's a montage of thousands of film and television cuttings that feature clocks, timepieces or references to the time of day, but the mindblowing thing about it is that it is 24 hours long and the time on the screen corresponds to the actual time of day that you're watching it. It's quite mesmerising and endlessly fascinating.

I first stumbled upon it a few years ago when it was shown at the Hayward Gallery, but I only saw about an hour and resolved to see some more if it ever returned, so this morning I took a half day and watched from 10.15 to just after 1pm. Should have taken the whole day really, as I didn't want to leave. The Tate's only open from 10 til 6pm, but there are a limited number of 24-hour showings, one of this being this weekend, which I'm tempted by (though Mrs K-G may not be so keen and there may be quite a demand). Will definitely take an afternoon off though to catch some more before it closes in January.

Anyhoo, this link explains it better than I can:
    Christian Marclay: The Clock – Exhibition at Tate Modern | Tate

and here's a a YouTube clip, though I suppose you should only watch this starting from 2:18p.m. ;)

If this is ever shown near you, I'd say definitely go and see it (or some of it).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.