CHRISTMAS 2020: Santa's Pandemic.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgoodwin22, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Robyrdt

Robyrdt Forum Resident

I would nominate Chet Atkins, Perry Como, Maddy Prior and Kate Rusby.

ModernBingFan0377 and RSteven like this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh yeah, Chet and Perry most certainly qualify as artists with multiple outstanding holiday albums. I am going to have to check out the other two folk artists you mention on your list as well.

ModernBingFan0377 likes this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If the criteria is two outstanding Christmas albums, I'm not sure if Chet Atkins clears the bar. His second Christmas album is pleasant but kind of bland in my opinion anyway. Second Christmas albums that are truly outstanding are hard to come by. The only ones I can think of that haven't been mentioned already are Ramsey Lewis: More Sounds of Christmas and Yuletide Beat by Los Straitjackets.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The Blenders.

5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I found a copy of this today, and yes - it sounds very good.

RSteven and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  6. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Thanks for making me laugh! That's hilarious! :D

7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Annie Haslam did two and they're both wonderful. Also She & Him and Buck Owens. (And the Beach Boys, if you did the quirkier '70s one). And you can sort-of count Darlene Love if the Spector album was the first.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

That's me exactly. Sure, I was born in the 60's, but I did not grow up listening to Doris Day (or Ella, Percy, Jack, Felix, Longines Symphonette(!) etc.) These are now some of my all time favorites. There's a huge aspect of nostalgia here, but not because I ever heard these records growing up at Christmas. Just beautifully done and recorded music for the season.

9. Dillydipper

Always wondered, how much of it comes from Bach/Gunoud's "Ave Maria", stylistically and spiritually...it appears the two were written/adapted only a few years from one another...

Speaking of which...heard this one yet?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Hep Alien and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  10. Dillydipper

You never heard the John Fahey albums...?

11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yeah, that is very interesting. I can hear the similarities now that you point that out to me. It's funny, because I have always been drawn to both of those melodies. I might have never connected O Holy Night and Ave Marie on my own.

Hep Alien and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  12. Dillydipper

Frankly, I never did myself until I heard Deodato to "Ave Maria"...and then I took his version to my church with me, and did it with a tuba player and a drummer....

13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

There is another great holiday album by an artist that does not get near the attention she deserves. The Doris Day Christmas Album might just be the most romantic and sexist holiday album ever recorded. I just looked at some of the legendary musicians that were a part of this album; Pianist Buddy Cole and legendary Sinatra drummer Irv Cottler were two of the amazing talents listed on this song. If December romance is in the air, I highly recommend this album by the Hollywood legend followed closely by Dean Martin's A Winter's Romance.

14. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I just noticed that Perry Como’s Merry Christmas is being sold on Amazon and it appears to be a new issue - does anyone know anything about it? Looks like the mono issue, not the rechanneled stereo one.

ModernBingFan0377 and RSteven like this.
  15. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

CD or LP?

16. AppleCorp3

Argh - sorry. It was the vinyl issue.

ModernBingFan0377 and YardByrd like this.
  17. YardByrd

Fantastic... I was just looking at this on discogs last week and thinking of buying it, but couldn't find one that checked all the boxes (mix, condition/grade, cost) so I'll definitely take a look on amazon!

AppleCorp3 and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  18. AppleCorp3

That makes two of us!

YardByrd and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  19. YardByrd

can you link it here, please? can't seem to find it on amazon!

RSteven and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  20. AppleCorp3

RSteven and YardByrd like this.
  21. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

Ok, once again I gotta completely agree here. I first heard Doris on the "Personal Christmas Collection" CD from '94 that includes the entirety of the "Christmas Album," plus 3 older Columbia singles (Here Comes Santa Claus, Ol' Saint Nicholas, and Christmas Story). Of course all these and more are included on the RGM "Complete Christmas Collection."

So up until I came across this CD, I had never really heard or paid attention to a Doris Day recording in my life (although I do kinda remember her tv show from the late 60's). It's now in my top 5 all time favorite holiday albums. Perfect for many moods throughout the season. Also had no idea about the players on this one. Truly lovely recording. (As it turns out, I liked this CD so much that Doris showed up in my avatar!!)

22. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Heads up. Real Gone has a 20% sale going on including a lot of their Christmas reissues. Wish I hadn’t bought 3 CDs a couple weeks ago but maybe I’ll pick up a couple more?!

SALE!

I put on the Chet Atkins today and WOW. If you include the bonus tracks on this one maybe he does have 2 amazing Christmas albums.

23. Robyrdt

Robyrdt Forum Resident

Exactly! It’s fantastic.

24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Christmas Favorites by The Hollyridge Strings is a true sonic delight and another another fantastic holiday album. Stu Phillips was an amazing arranger with great pop sensibilities. This is not Percy Faith or Mantovani mind you, both of whom I love, but a great group of studio musicians put together by the conductor and recorded in the great reverb chambers of the Capitol Records Tower in Hollywood. Take a listen to Stu's fantastic cover of Jingle Bell Rock below. This CD now goes for astronomical prices, but I am hoping that one day Real Gone Music will be able to get it reissued in the future, especially considering that it was Gordon Anderson's old label (Collector's Choice Music) that had the original CD issued.

25. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

A classic - The Merriest and Sorry To See You Go are great songs, and the whole album is a great addition to classic Christmas canon. For amazing original Christmas songs of the era, I'd also add Julie London's I'd Like You For Christmas - written by her husband, Bobby Troup (who also wrote Get Your Kicks On Route 66). Sad that she never recorded a whole holiday album.

It's amazing how nostalgia can spring retroactively upon people who never even experienced the material in their past - there's something magical in some of those recordings that really brings out a wistfulness and sentimentality. I was surprised how much I loved the Doris Day album when I first picked it up a couple of years back - I've always known her but more so as an actress and I always thought of her music as too vanilla, a perception I've been proving wrong to myself for a few years now.

Surprised not to see Peggy Lee mentioned yet (at least she didn't show up in a thread search) - her Christmas album is one of my favorite holiday albums ever. A new compilation was just released a month or two ago gathering most of her holiday songs into one release. Not sure if the sound is good or not, but it's available on both CD and vinyl. Bit of an odd non-Christmassy photo of her on the cover, but it works in a modern, minimalist kind of way.

[​IMG]