Christmas Music CDs & LPs, etc...What Are You Playing This 2019 Season?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Nov 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

it is not officially the holidays until I have heard Bruce Springsteen sing Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town

Michael, RSteven, DrProgQuest and 2 others like this.
  2. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

i rarely hear this, but it is sooooooo good. one of the best rock and roll christmas carols ever

Michael, mmars982 and boggs like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

yea, that's a good one!

4. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

5. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I've purchased six Real Gone Christmas titles this year (they've had a great sale going on the last few weeks). I've gotta say that Real Gone reissues their stuff with care. From content to sound quality to informative illustrated booklets to reasonable pricing, these guys lead the way in holiday reissues.

6. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

I play this endlessly every year. I think it may be my favourite Christmas song ever. Give it a listen!

Michael likes this.
  7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The Monkees Christmas Party
    The Beatles Christmas Records
    The Beach Boys Christmas Album
    Ringo Starr - I Wanna Be Santa Claus
    Elvis Presley Christmas Album
    Rat Pack Christmas
    Phil Spector - A Christmas Gift For You
    The Fab Four - Hark!

Michael likes this.
  8. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

I agree. His version is already an all time classic. I've been lucky enough to hear him play it live several times in November/December concerts, and it always sent the crowd into a frenzy, especially when Clarence was alive, wearing the Santa stocking cap etc. Nothing like that communal singalong Christmas spirit atmosphere.

Michael, RSteven and Lewisboogie like this.
  9. DrProgQuest

This year and last I've bought a bunch also, some still on the way. They are stellar releases with great attention to detail.

10. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

Still have my mum's copy of the Elvis Christmas album from 1957 (LOC 1035) in the box ,insert is missing tho..in mono ...sounds really good.
    Made in Montreal by RCA Lenoir St.

Michael, notesofachord and RSteven like this.
  11. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

I saw him play it live in Manchester. In June. With some eccentric fellow dressed as santa from the crowd. Who was possibly the worst singer the world has ever seen.

Michael likes this.
  12. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Just listened to the new Josh Rouse Holiday record, then Nick Lowe's Quality Street. Taking a break with the new Who then back into some Christmas later today for tree trimming and cooking. Probably Diana Krall, Ella, Elvis and some compilations with Bing, Dean and Perry etc.

Michael, notesofachord and RSteven like this.
  13. DrProgQuest

To follow up, these are the ones Ive bought or ordered, headlined by the incredible John Klein Christmas Sound Spectacular (which I bought more of this year to give as presents)

Real Gone releases

Mantovani Christmas Carols
    Christmas Sound Spectacular--John Klein
    Leroy Anderson Complete Christmas Collection
    Chet Atkins Complete Christmas Recordings
    Jim Reeves 12 Songs of Christmas expanded
    Christmas Hymns and Carols V 1--Robert Shaw
    Christmas Joy--Melachrino

I'm a sucker for these late 50/early 60s wide stereo classics. Great sound, very nostalgic, since I was a little kid in the 60s.

14. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

This is what I play. It's a self-made
    playlist from a few years ago that I
    update from time to time. This is the
    most recent. I just let it play.
    [​IMG]

Michael and Rockford & Roll like this.
  15. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

So far just Llego Navidad by Los Lobos but I have sort of a rule not to play Christmas music until after 8 December. I have Brave Combo, The Mavericks, The Monkees, Shawn Colvin, Carole King Bruce Cockburn and Mary Chapin Carpenter (amongst others) lined up for then.

Michael and Rockford & Roll like this.
  16. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

First off, albums: Mario Lanza Sings Christmas Carols. dad bought this one for xmas 1959 just after we got our first (stereo) record player, this gets played every year. Then the Phil Spector Christmas Album I have a stereo vinyl copy from around 1983. Also the John Klein album that R Steven put me onto earlier this year (thanks Steve). After those it's down to a long I Tunes playlist of Xmas songs Rock & Roll, instrumentals, carols etc. Oh & the Elvis Christmas Album (I nearly forgot that one).

Michael, RSteven and Lewisboogie like this.
  17. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Just picked up a NM '79 West German Light in the Stable by Emmylou Harris. Never heard it before. Sublime and ravishing...

18. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

Buchanan and Goodman prod. with Paul Sherman
    Santa and thae Satellite Prt 1 & 2
    Luniverse 107
    7" 45

Michael likes this.
  19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You have really made my holiday with this post. It took me several years to push to get the John Klein Living Stereo version of A Christmas Spectacular remastered and released by Real Gone Music. It would not have happened without the strong support of Chip Arcuri over at his great YuleLog.com. John Klein was a musical genius of sorts, but a little under the radar, but once Gordon Anderson, the President of RGM, read the iconic history of the album from my proposed liner notes, he was enthusiastic and fully on board. RCA Victor was so excited about the unusual nature of the album that it featured the record industry's first written guarantee banner wrapped around the original vinyl album. I mention this in the liner lines, along with a quote from Time Magazine. The Carillon Americana itself housed almost 1500 bronze caste bells and was so large that RCA Victor had to bring their equipment to Pennsylvanian where it was stored. A truly great group of New York studio musicians fill out the rhythm section and full orchestra. It really is a one of a kind album to say the least. I too hand many out as presents. I cannot thank you enough for doing the same as projects like this one really make a difference to the overall success of a dedicated independent label like Real Gone Music.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  20. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Pulled the first Very Special Christmas CD off the shelf. Also the Christmas disc from the Phil Spector Back to Mono set. Gave Mariah Carey's Christmas album its first couple of spins of the season. Will have to put on the new Ormandy CD and my Time Life Christmas LPs later.

Michael and RSteven like this.
  21. Musical Chairs

Spun the green vinyl of Cyndi Lauper's Christmas album. Fun, but musically very uneven. And the inner groove distortion on my copy is fierce.

Michael likes this.
  22. Musical Chairs

The Ormandy Complete Christmas Albums CD is fantastic.

23. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Current play...
    [​IMG]

Michael, mmars982 and Musical Chairs like this.
  24. DrProgQuest

I've seen your (many, lol) posts on these Christmas threads and thank you for your role in that release, it's truly a unique album and a fascinating instrument. In fact I think I read about the release here last year and bought it because I was intrigued by the descriptions.
    Since you were involved, do you know of other albums featuring the prominent use of the Carillon instrument by Klein or anyone else, Christmas or otherwise?

RSteven and Michael like this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

It has been a thrill to be involved in getting these John Klein Christmas albums remastered properly for release on CD. I did find a very rare CD of John Klein's very first holiday collection for Columbia Records in 1957, Caroling On The Carillon. It is a much less lavishly produced holiday album and basically it features just Mr. Klein with a slightly more modest sounding carillon, but it is quite beautiful. I sometimes speculate that someone at RCA Victor or Mr. Klein himself said, "Hey, we could really go big with this idea, if we added a full orchestra and some great rhythm players to the sound of the carillon." I think that is how A Christmas Sound Spectacular came to fruition.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.