Christopher Nolan's "Oppenheimer" movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

This is too funny. The trades are reporting that noted filmmaker Christopher Nolan just got the following deal from Universal, after bolting from Warner Bros. over his dissatisfaction with WB airing Tenet on HBOMax:

[​IMG]

I find this very funny and amazing. No director in Hollywoo history has ever gotten terms like this. Universal must want this guy really, really badly.

Whether the movie is good or bad is hardly the point: I can't imagine the studio will do very well with this deal. Details here...

How to Win a Christopher Nolan Movie: What Makes the Auteur’s $100 Million Deal So Rare

head_unit, Ghostworld, Dan C and 2 others like this.
  2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Perplexed at the "3 weeks before and 3 weeks after" veto.

Also, I can't see general audience drooling over an Oppenheimer biopic.

Are WB going to have the last laugh this time? See you in 2024 :laugh:

3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm sure Universal will do just fine with the deal. Every studio would jump at the chance for a Nolan film.

Is it a biopic or a film about the Manhattan Project? Few stories in the past century are as significant as the development of the atomic bomb.

General audiences have drooled over everything Nolan does--yes, even Tenet--and this will be incredible. Really enthused, and looking forward to further news.

4. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

That was my first thought.

Karnak, irong and daglesj like this.
  5. I wish the movie success, and I'll likely watch it, but I too am skeptical of a broad public appeal. Tennet, for all my concerns and issues with it, was never dull and had plenty of action. A movie about Oppenheimer should be an interesting drama, but I don't know how a blockbuster can be made from this material. Happy to be proven wrong.

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to this one. Fascinating subject matter for me. I used to work at Sandia National Labs in Albuquerque which is down the road a ways from Los Alamos. I spent a little time off and on in Los Alamos and it's still an interesting place.

7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

A massive project and incredible story glossed over in two hours...wow...can't wait. For most the subject will be a snooze fest. Nerd's only. Not a date movie, especially if it follows Oppenheimer closely as he was hardly the life and soul of the party. However, to appeal to modern audiences I'm sure they will 'spice him up' a bit, throw in a 'few red hot gypsies' etc.

I'd rather watch the Manhattan series again. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Dunkirk was highly regarded critically and did fairly well at the box office $527 million worldwide. There's no reason to think he will fail with this one.

Lars Medley, 905, longdist01 and 3 others like this.
  9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I seen something on pbs about Opennhemier.. years ago..
    Why do it again ?when most people in there 30's don't know and don't care about him..
    It seems a waste of money.. a vanity project? Why doesn't Nolan take off for 4yrs..
    I know who he is.. I think Dwight Schutlz did a movie about oppenhemier years ago..
    No more boring subjects hollywood.. pull the plug on yourself.

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

See, now I'm interested.

Murph, daglesj and Simon A like this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Nolan has managed to make very compelling films of a variety of ideas and reboots that were not at the top of anyone's list, and do a better job of it than just about anyone else in the movie business. Here we have one of the most consequential topics of our time, and I'll go out on a limb to predict Nolan will make a great film.

12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Fat Man and Little Boy. Paul Newman was also in it portraying Gen. Leslie Groves. I liked it. We have different ideas about boring subjects though.

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

As long as it’s told backwards and lots of slo-mo CGI, it will do fine. :\

conjotter and DLD like this.
  14. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Well, they should know. It's an amazing story.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

As far as the deal in concerned, more power to Nolan and I say bravo.

conjotter likes this.
  16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Dunkirk looked like it was played out by the local rep. theatre group. I was disappointed in how pathetic the beach scenes looked in comparison to the photos in the history books.

"Chris we can only get 6 extras!"

17. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

What's it gonna be, an orphan, dame?

My guess is dame and an overblown romance subplot.

18. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Well in order to appeal to the mass market, maybe he is a cross dresser? Has a lasting affair with a Chinese maid?

It will be something totally made up.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Nolan sure loves Cillian Murphy, and I was resigned to that. But to add those others is too much. It's an unfamiliar story and not an action movie for a change, so why include Damon and RDJ from dozens of mainstream blockbusters?

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm sure Chris will address those choices and others down the road, if anything it gets people talking about the movie.

22. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

There was a very good BBC miniseries in the early 80s with Sam Waterston as Oppenheimer.

23. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

Am I the only one who was completely unimpressed with Dunkirk? I found it an incredibly dull representation of an incredibly heroic operation.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think you guys are missing the Nolan touch here. I for one can’t wait to see Hiroshima blow up in reverse.

25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

No, I was very unimpressed. Looked like a BBC TV drama.