Chromecast audio discontinued

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by winged creature, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident Thread Starter

It didn't have nearly as good support when it was initially released. Now it can be used as Roon endpoint or you can use it to easily stream lossless files or tidal. I think maybe most folk didnt keep up with all the new features that were added to this streamer. Also maybe the resolution limitation of 24/96 kept people from recommending it at as much. Personally I think connected to a better power supply and a nice DAC, it sounds excellent and is a great streaming solution.

wipster likes this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

So was the original Google ChromeCast, when it came out. But it did everything it was supposed to do and I was not aware of any similar product that could do simply what the ChromeCast device could do and I think it was something like $35 too.

wipster likes this.
  3. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Man, this sucks. When Google sold out of the Chromecast Audio, I went ahead and tried ordering it from vendors for the retail price of $35. Both said the item was in stock. One vendor cancelled my order. The other vendor just informed my that the unit was backordered. I assume it's only a matter of time before that order gets cancelled as well.

4. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

$39.99. Seller has 5 but going fast.

Google Chromecast Audio - Black - (GA3A00147-A14-Z01) BRAND NEW SEALED | eBay

5. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

6. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

Paging @dolstein. Back in stock at the google store for those still trying to grab them. I was able to purchase with a shipping date of Jan 25-29.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    adamos, SandAndGlass and Radio like this.
  7. BIGGER Dave

(Deleted).

8. BIGGER Dave

9. stonecold

stonecold Forum Resident

Google Canada out of stock now. Grabbed a couple the other day. Wish I would have seen them on sale after Christmas but then again I wasn't looking. Already have a CCA and can find use for a second. The third can join the closet filled with other "might use that some day" stuff :)

adamos and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Related to this, the shipping date for my Google Store purchase from a few days ago was changed from March to Jan 25-29.

11. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

LOL, I bought one but I absolutely don't need one...

12. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

marka likes this.
  13. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Try Australia at $59!!

bever70 likes this.
  14. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Thanks for the head’s up everyone.

15. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I bought one last November at BB when it was still $35. It serves my purposes well because it allows me to stream Spotify to my old dumb stereo receiver.

carrick doone likes this.
  16. SandAndGlass

That's all that matters! I'm all for simple solutions.

I have had a ChromeCast device since the first came out. I just bought one of the audio devices, just to have.

You can't beat what it does!

17. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Just felt the need to say that I bought mine after several recommendations in this forum. Very happy with it.

Shiver, Helom and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I ordered from a retalier in Sweden that said they sold out but had 2000pcs more coming in a few days. So supply seem to still exist from distributors at least. Strange they shut this product down..

20. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

It's somewhat of a niche product to begin considering the prevalence of bluetooth and wifi speakers now. Most everyone who would buy one probably has by now.

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Not judging by the way existing stock is selling. Google only viewed it for active speaker use but it is a ridiculously cheap music streaming solution in conjunction with a good DAC and hi-fi system.

bever70, jjhunsecker and Melvin like this.
  22. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Just ordered one from B&H—$15+$3.50 shipping. They still have some left.

SandAndGlass and souladdikt like this.
  23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The idea of a Chromecast is that its subsidized hardware intended to give customers a hardware bridge to Google revenue services. In the specific case of the Chromecast audio, the target product is Google Play Music. The market share for this isn't great (to put it mildly), so I'd guess Google decided there wasn't a future in continuing to sell the hardware at a loss.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

I snuck in an order for 2 before they ran out again. Thanks for the notice. Sorry to anyone else that was trying.

25. SandAndGlass

I imagine that they have other things in mind...

Shiver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.