Chromecast audio discontinued

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by winged creature, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

It’s just us niche users and flippers buying the remaining stock.

2. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

Wow, the Flippers were faster than lightning...

3. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

Yep, there's no shortage on eBay right now.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

If I had a bunch of them, I would be waiting for the early flipper's to do their thing.

5. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

Google is still restocking these on their website. You can buy right now. I wouldn't buy from anywhere else until they remove it from their website even if it's listed as out of stock.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Google Store fine print...

"Save $20 on Chromecast Audio. Starts November 22, 2018 at 12am PT and ends February 28, 2019 at 11:59pm PT, while supplies last and subject to availability. US residents only. Must be 18 years or older. Unless otherwise stated, offer cannot be combined with other offers and is not transferable. Purchase must be made on Google Store US. Not valid for cash or cash equivalent. Void where prohibited."

Looks like they expect to have inventory through the end of FEB...

souladdikt and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

If not, then they will let you know, one way or another, that they are now out of stock and won't allow you to buy any more.

8. BIGGER Dave

Mine arrived today. Setup only took a couple minutes. It streams audio from my PC to my bedroom stereo, using my iPad as the controller. I opted to use a Toslink Optical cable instead of the analog cable. Sounds good. Can’t go wrong for $15.

adamos, Radio, Ulises and 1 other person like this.
  9. Arouski

Arouski Well-Known Member

I bought mine at Staples for $15. The thing works well for almost everything. My only issue is with Qobuz, 96 stutters, 44 is perfect. Tried all the recommended tricks. Might just be too far from router. I get 192 on my blu vault, hard wired.

10. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

This seems to be a problem for everyone with hi res especially if using the optical out.

Johnny Wong likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

Most optical connections only go to 96-kBPS, where digital coax and HDMI will go to 192-kBPS (and beyond).

12. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Off-topic a little, but I downloaded the Allcast app to my iPhone 7 to be able to stream the 20gb or so of music on it to my Chromecast Audio, but it can't seem to access any of the files on the phone. Also Allcast doesn't show up in permissions to be able to grant it access. The app used to run fine on my 5th gen iPod touch, so why not this iPhone?? Any ideas? Thanks

13. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

14. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

15. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Just noticed that these are being sold again by Currys for £30. No idea how long they've been in stock for or for how long they will be in stock for.

16. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

For the price of the unit, I don't expect a perfect product. I use Roon and cut the sampling from 96 to 44.1. No drops, and I still use 24 bit for 24/96 music. The Chromecast is on secondary system, so I hope they'll fix it, but my own quick fix is fine for now.

17. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I just realized I could use another Chromecast Audio. Are there any more available anywhere?

Helom likes this.
  18. BIGGER Dave

AFAIK, most stores are sold out. That leaves eBay where there a few available with Buy It Now prices starting around below $33 shipped.

500Homeruns likes this.
  19. Helom

Helom Forum member

Just bought one here:
    Google Chromecast Audio - Black

$3 for shipping. Most are charging $10 or more for shipping. I figure I paid about the same price I did for one at Best Buy a few months ago.

eBay's app isn't working for me so didn't check there.

500Homeruns and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I have three chromecast devices connected to three different t.v sets...Never had a Chromecast audio. How do the two devices differ?

21. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

The chromecast audio is for audio only. No HDMI. Only 3.5mm Stereo jack that doubles as SPIDIF/optical

22. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Grabbed one from the link :righton:

SandAndGlass and Helom like this.
  23. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I seem to have stumbled on a workaround: it doesn’t stutter when I’m casting to a group even though just listening on one device.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  24. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.