Chromecast Audio & Tidal ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cemilsolak, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

It does on Android at least.

500Homeruns likes this.
  2. psuKinger

psuKinger Well-Known Member

Hello,

Longtime lurker/reader here, first time poster.

I've got 5 chromecast audios. What you describe here *was* the case for me for a long time (several years); it hasn't been the case (for me) since right around the same time @tagomago first posted as well (~December 4). Apparently it's been a problem for others for considerably longer than that:
    Chromecast Audio - Stutter at 96Khz on 1.32.124602 - Chromecast Help

All other files/streams work flawlessly on CCA (24/44.1; 16/44.1; down-sampled 24/96 to 24/48).

My network isn't the problem; I can stream uncompressed bit-for-bit Blu Ray rips without a problem. And the problem occurs on a CCA that's 5-6 feet from my router (Netgear Nighthawk R7000). And the problem occurs on a CCA that I purchased one of the ethernet cables to attempt to fix.

I've tried to troubleshoot; Rebooting the CCA's. Power-cycling the CCA's. Rebooting the router. Power cycling the router. Rebooting my Plex Media Server.

Word on other corners of the internet is that it's related to a firmware problem (I have 1.32.124602 on all five of mine).

If anyone here has any thoughts/ideas/suggestions on a fix (other than downsampling all 24/96 files to 24/48), I'd be very appreciative...

3. conkast

conkast Member

Roon is the answer its able stream master quality from Tidal to chromecast audio try it for 14 days and if you like it let me know

4. psuKinger

psuKinger Well-Known Member

I checked back on this for a few days and maybe even a week or two, but it's been a while and I never saw your post. I ultimately tried Roon based on input I received on other forums, and to your respond to your post, *I love it*.

Unfortunately, my CCAs are still completely hosed up and won't playback anything (Roon or other) beyond 24/44.1 and 24/48, but Roon, unlike any other solution I tried, allowed me to configure it so that anything beyond 24/44.1 and 24/48 would be downsampled to either 44.1 or 48 (88.2 and 176.4 --> 44.1 and 96 and 192 --> 48) if the endpoint is a CCA. But other endpoints like my Roon Ready OPPPO or my Schiit headphone DAC, which don't need the downsampling (because they aren't crippled by this garbage Chromecast firmware issue) just play at full bitrate.

Roon's great for a whole lot of other reasons, but this one reason was the #1 reason that got me to give it a spin, and when it worked and fixed my problem, I stuck with it; I have a lifetime subscription now.

5. Helom

Helom Forum member

Has anyone solved the conundrum of streaming Tidal's Masters files through the Chromecast? I'd like to try streaming to my MQA-capable DAC, however, it seems the CCA is a choke point.

Maybe someone knows of an inexpensive, stand-alone streamer that supports MQA?

6. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

MQA requires MQA licensed hardware for a full "unfold" to acheive hi-res, such is the MQA swindle and why you cant cast hi-res Tidal through a Chromecast device (nor most digital playback devices). Personally I wouldn't sink money into specific hardware to support lossy MQA hi-res when I can already play lossless hi-res audio at any resolution.

Last I looked the most affordable MQA enabled device is Pro-Ject's Stream Box S2 Ultra. It is essentially an ARM based computer (RaspberryPi-like spec) with an MQA enabled DAC running a Pro-Ject branded Volumio operating system.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  7. Helom

Helom Forum member

Thanks!

8. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

No worries. Correction needed though as I meant to point you to the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital not the Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra as the Stream Box doesn't do the hardware MQA unfolding.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

I happen to own the Pre Box S2 Digital, but have no way of streaming MQA files to it. I'm not to concerned about it, just figured I'd quench my curiosity if there was somehow a way to stream it through CCA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.