Chuck Berry - one of rock's greatest guitarists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sound of the Suburbs, Nov 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

What a great lyricist Chuck Berry was. Like his guitar playing, Chuck made writing excellent songs look effortless.

"Nadine" being just one example of Chuck's ability to turn a phrase that would make Mick Jagger or Elvis Costello jealous.

I saw her from the corner when she turned and doubled back
    And started walkin toward a coffee colored Cadillac
    I was pushin through the crowd to get to where she's at
    And I was campaign shouting like a southern diplomat.

2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

All my favorite guitarists are all about simplicity, feel and a personal style. I have no interest in histrionics or flash. And Chuck was great in all those ways, and probably influenced every other guitarist I love. Truly a revolutionary and one of the all time greats. I love his playing.

And I second all those that say his songwriting was even better than his guitar playing. Hail hail rock 'n roll.

3. The Quiet One

The Quiet One Forum Resident

If he isn't one of the greats, I really don't know who is. His sound is the cornerstone of rock music.

4. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Depends on how you define ‘average’.
    He created a whole new language of the guitar.

5. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

To me, an overlooked skill of his is timing. He played with a swing that draws you in. Pick up your own guitar, and try his easiest licks. Really hard to get it right.

It's the same timing skill that he brought to his vocals.

6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Chuck's influence is more wide ranging than some might imagine:

Vic_1957, Guy Smiley, KeninDC and 3 others like this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

His playing is pretty hard to copy too.
    He may have only had a handful of trademark licks, but to replicate them the way Chuck did,
    is near impossible.
    Only Chuck could sound like Chuck.
    So many of us players have listenened and studied and tried to emulate him, and we just never get it.
    Even Keith Richards got 'told off' for not playing Chuck's stuff right.
    :agree:

8. popcorn1

popcorn1 Forum Resident

not sure how many of you have heard goree carter from houston--i sure bet chuck did

check this track from 1949---sure sounds like chuck styled rock and roll to me

9. Rick Bartlett

10. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Yes, I agree. He created something great, had a huge influence on rock n roll, and it's a beautiful thing. I want his playing to be great (and it is on some early records) but in general - and especially live - he could sound clunky and awkward. I think others play his style better.

Sound of the Suburbs likes this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

And Chuck really wants you to get it right. Look at the hard time he gave Keith Richards in ' Hail Hail Rock and Roll ' when Keith was playing the intro to ' Carol ' (?)

12. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Chuck Berry was not only one of the greatest guitarists, but one of the greatest songwriters, and (especially) one of the greatest lyricists in the history of rock.

13. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

i doubt anyone who plays rock and roll guitar would dispute the pivotal role of chuck berry in the creation of the style. he's like the sun who everyone else circles around. he did sound sloppy upon occasion, but it doesn't matter, his guitar playing forged a pathway for almost everyone else who followed.

14. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

I can't agree with that statement. The Beatles didn't fully blossom until McCartney began playing the bass.

15. popcorn1

popcorn1 Forum Resident

and he invented words---coolerator and jet offtake to mention just two...

16. Rick Bartlett

Must agree there, McCartney was not only a great bass player, but probably the best guitar player in the whole group.

17. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

I'll take Chuck's style over Jimi any day

18. Karmadave

Karmadave Forum Resident

I can't believe we are even debating this. Chuck Berry is one of THE most influential guitarists ever!

19. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Chuck Berry wasn't merely a great guitarist, he's one of the most influential musicians in history.

20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Jimi too:

21. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Well, to a certain point, I agree.
    Yes, he could be quite sloppy.
    Once I heard some say that Keith Richards (sloppy too from time to time) ‘Out-Berry’ed Berry’, in terms of the guitar.

George Blair likes this.
  22. Rick Bartlett

:biglaugh:
    Nobody....
    I mean Nobody!! Can 'Out-Berry'edd' Chuck Berry!!
    That's plain silly.
    :biglaugh:
    That's like saying someone 'Elvis'ed' out Elvis'.

Hep Alien, CBackley and Vic_1957 like this.
  23. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Without Chuck Berry we wouldn't have had guitar players as we know them, and, more important, we wouldn't have had rock n roll as we know and love it. It's almost impossible to name a "guitar god" of the 60s thru the 80s (maybe even up to now) who didn't grow up idolizing Chuck Berry.

24. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Technically, a lot of the guitar breaks played in the 50s are out of tune and not really technically great, and that includes Chuck Berry's solos, some of which make me wince because of the bad intonation on his rig--he had nothing like the Tune-O-Matic bridges & electronic guitar tuners of today to work with.

Hell, the fact that a poor young black man from St. Louis had an electric guitar & an amp AND a recording contract with the mighty Chess Reocords was a miracle in itself.

But he opened the door for a lot of youngsters who saw for the 1st time the almost endless possibilities of what an electric guitar could do. I'm not sure even Les Paul or Django Reinhardt even had a comparable wave of influence that could compare.

25. Rick Bartlett

Two more wonderful and incredible influential greats right there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.