Chuck Cunningham Syndrome

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Nov 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Then there was Coco, a character featured in the broadcast pilot episode of the popular 1980s sitcom The Golden Girls, portrayed by actor Charles Levin. Coco, a gay man — the fancy man in the kitchen” as Sophia takes to calling him — was employed by the girls as a cook and acted as a quasi-best friend, yet only appeared in the pilot episode.

Per Wikipedia:
    And thus it was decided that Estelle Getty’s character Sophia — originally scripted as a intermittent visitor to 6151 Richmond St. — would move in permanently. Subsequently, Coco was no mo’. The fifth Golden Girl had disappeared without a trace by the second episode, never to be mentioned again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    bekayne and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Joanna Moore was great - beautiful, with a great voice and genuine Southern charm. She also had good chemistry with Andy and Opie. I believe she became pregnant and was no longer available to appear.

fr in sc and JohnO like this.
  3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Levin was heartbreakingly effective in his episodes on Hill Street Blues. Probably played a tad broad (it was the 80's) but still...

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Not quite a sitcom, but a drama with sitcom roots: LOU GRANT. The series' first three episodes featured a young cub-reporter-female named Carla Mardigian, played by Rebecca Balding.

[​IMG]

Shortly thereafter, she totally disappeared without a mention or a trace, and the character was replaced with Billie Newman played by Linda Kelsey, who stayed for the rest of the series.

[​IMG]

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  5. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Yeah, Carla never had a chance, did she? Well at least Billie did get an episode to show how she got to be a "real reporter". Those scenes with Lou telling the head of the "Home" section how worthless they were pretty cringy, even back then. The show really hadn't gotten its bearings yet at this point. Of course, Billie would turn out to be a fantastic character, Kelsey brought so much to the role.

HGN2001 likes this.
  6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

IIRC, Rebecca Balding had signed on to do another show, so MTM had to let her go.

7. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Actress Lynette Mettey appeared in the first four episodes of Quincy, M.E. as Quincy's girlfriend, Lee Potter; Quincy began as part of the 90 minute NBC Mystery Movie wheel series along with Columbo, McCloud and McMillan. When Quincy became a 60 minute weekly series, the character of Lee Potter disappeared with no explanation.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  8. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Jemima was still around in season 2 before being dropped from the cast...

One first season character from "Daniel Boone" that didn't make the cut to season 2 was Boone's friend/sidekick Yadkin (played by Albert Salmi).

Jack Lord likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Aneta Corsaut actually was having a real-life affair with Andy Griffith while the show was going on, so she stayed to the end of the series. Stuff happens in Hollywoo.

These 'Andy Griffith Show' Actors Were Lovers and Everyone in the Cast Knew

10. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

The year Donna Reed replaced Barbara Bel Geddes on Dallas was pretty poor casting IMO. But, of course, that wasn't the weirdest casting change on that show (dream, Gracie?).

musicfan37 likes this.
  11. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I'd go with Christina Ricci personally...

12. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Elinor Donahue left on her own. She and Andy decided the chemistry was not working and she wanted to leave the show.

13. PrancyTheWonderBug

PrancyTheWonderBug Forum Resident

There was one woman in between them, wasn't there? A nurse, I think.

She was a little too attractive to be dating a sheriff of Mayberry.

Jack Lord likes this.
  14. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Joanna Moore as Nurse Peggy, a fan favorite. Apparently Andy Griffith had a real-life relationship with her, too.

groundharp likes this.
  15. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Oh, I don't know. Who was Andy's competition? Barney? That goofball mayor? Gomer? OTIS????

Now Barney and Thelma Lou might exemplify a bit of a mismatch. :D

MikeInFla likes this.
  16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Beat me too it. By two years. Lol

vinnie likes this.
  17. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Then there's Barney's replacement on the Andy Griffith Show, Warren. He lasted eleven episodes and also vanished without explanation. Jack Burns is very talented but no one could replace Don Knotts on that show.

fr in sc, Spaghettiows and MikeInFla like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

True. But: Anita Corsaut did have an affair with Griffith for 3-4 years, which was my point. I wasn't talking about Donahue's reasons for leaving.

MikeInFla likes this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Speaking of Barney's dating life, I seem to recall him mentioning a waitress (whom I believe lived in Mount Pilot) by the name of Juanita... Did they ever actually show her, or was she strictly one of those folks that are mentioned but never seen?

20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah that is sad. Katey Segal was great in that show. I was quite surprised how gorgeous she really was.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Master of the house, tryin to catch her eye...

BNell likes this.
  22. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I don't think it applies. One of the factors with The Chuck Cunningham Situation is that the character disappears without an explanation. They simply there one episode and then they are gone. The thing about Chuck Cunningham in Happy Days is that not only did he suddenly disappear, but his entire existence was deleted from the show. In one episode Howard Cunningham mentions his two children, Chuck wasn't one of them.

With your two examples, a similar one is the departure of Mike in My Three Sons. His departure was explained that he moved away (this is what I've heard, I've never seen any of the black-and-white My Three Songs episodes). His character still maintained a presence in the series via phone calls.

An extreme example of this is (I think it was) The West Wing where the season ended with a scene of some kind of attack. Several people are standing around in the scene. In the first episode of the next season it picks up literally in the next instant...but one of the character is gone without explanation.

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

It has always fascinated me how little the creators of TV sitcoms cared about continuity. It's different nowadays, when many shows have a story arc than runs over several episodes or even throughout a season, but back when I was a kid I remember discussions with my friends where we tried to make sense of the continuity in series where looking back it's obvious that the writers and producers simply couldn't be bothered to be consistent. In the case of Happy Days, why on earth didn't the writers just say that Chuck was away at college, or something like that?

24. Grand_Ennui

I believe Chuck Cunningham was already a college student on the show, so they would have had to have him transfer to Madison or some other college not near Milwaukee.

25. Grand_Ennui

One other character that didn't make it to season two of "Daniel Boone" was Israel's pet goose, Hannibal...

Rebecca must have cooked him up for Christmas dinner or something.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.