Chuck Cunningham Syndrome—Music Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indigovic, Feb 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Did The Moody Blues play any of the Denny Laine-era stuff after he split?

That’s the next group I thought of, after BS&T.

Gram Parsons didn’t last long with The Byrds, and he had some vocals redubbed by McGuinn on Sweetheart of the Rodeo, so he could be seen as their “Chuck.”

So could Crosby before him, although it’s not true that Croz was airbrushed from the Notorious Byrd Brothers album cover and replaced by a horse.

2. CHIP72

CHIP72 Forum Resident

You beat me to it - I was just reading about Supertramp again today (I read a little about them maybe every 2-3 years or so), and it appears pretty much the entire band besides Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies was fired or quit after the first album. The band then largely disowned the album, almost never playing any songs from it with a couple exceptions for the rest of their career after the long-term version of the band formed before their 1974 album Crime of the Century.

One other possible example I'll mention is Nirvana drummer Chad Channing, who mutually parted ways with the band in mid-1990 after they recorded and released Bleach but mostly before they recorded Nevermind. He was actually the drummer on the Nevermind song "Polly" but wasn't credited for the performance for many years. Channing was also not included when Nirvana was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014.

3. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

The closest I can think of is Andrew Weiss in the Rollins Band. After he was fired and replaced by Melvin Gibbs, the band dropped all of their songs and started fresh with new ones. It doesn’t quite fit the criteria, because Henry did acknowledge his former bass player in interviews and his radio show, but mostly to assassinate his character. And they did, on the reunion tour, play one song from an album he played on. Later, when he changed over the entire band, they once again dropped almost all of the old songs. The new band learned a couple, but mostly they only played new material.

I can think of a few other guys that were effectively written out of band histories for decades, but eventually were mentioned in more recent releases/documentaries/etc. E.g., Wally Nightingale in the Sex Pistols, George Gill in Wire.

4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

He was also “Chucked” out of Little Feat.

5. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version) Thread Starter

I love that “Chuck Cunningham” has become a verb now.

6. indigovic

Re-recording a guy’s parts is some pretty serious Chucking.

pscreed likes this.
  7. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

The Police "disappeared" Henry Padovani after he played on their non-LP first single, "Fall Out"/"Nothing Achieving." More or less, only people who had the picture sleeve knew he ever played with the group.

[​IMG]

Rooster_Ties and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

corabi songs are on the red white and crue 2 cd compilation and the videos are on the greatest video hits dvd

9. indigovic

Bruce’s autobiography, Born to Run, lacks an index, but I skimmed the area I’d expect her to be mentioned, and I also found no results for her using Amazon’s “search inside this book” function. He doesn’t appear to talk about her in there, which might make her the most significant non-mention, musically speaking. While the band obviously hasn’t disowned “Jungleland,” that is pretty good evidence of a Chucking...

10. indigovic

According to setlist.fm, it appears that Genesis never played any songs from Calling All Stations after Phil Collins returned, though they did include “Congo” on Turn It On Again: The Hits. So they didn’t completely Chuck singer Ray Wilson...

Instant Dharma likes this.
  11. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

I reckon the most Chuck-y award has to go to Jean-Michael Byron in Toto. Brought in as their lead singer, reduced to background singer (thanks to a combination of errors, mostly his) and then binned. Don’t think anyone has mentioned him since.

Except that album is a pretty famous album and his name is mentioned every time it comes up so this doesn’t fit at all. And neither Hillman or McGuinn have written Gram out of anything.
    Sting and Stewart Copeland list him (quite prominently) in the list of thank yous for the recent box set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. indigovic

Apparently the original drummer and bass player for Love may not have been credited for their work on two tracks after they were replaced during the making of the band’s first album. So does that make John Fleckenstein and Don Conka ...(wait for it)... Chuckees in Love?

Chance likes this.
  13. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

That was Roy Estrada

14. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Rod Evans was mostly erased from Deep Purple after he fronted a counterfeit version of Deep Purple in the late 70s. Part of their settlement with him is that he had to abandon the music industry completely, which he did.

One telltale sign is to look for old photos on a band's website that photoshop or crop out certain former members.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I knew he forfeited royalties to the Mk I stuff, but my understanding was always that he went into hiding on his own account.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

actually Parsons is the exact opposite of a Chuck Cunningham. For having hardly contributed to their catalog and only having a brief stay in the band, he is always associated with them and among casual music fans (i.e. people outside of music forums like this) is better known than more important Byrds members Chris Hillman and Gene Clark

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

For their debut video ("Your Love") in 1985, The Outfield suddenly gained another guitarist and a keyboard player. As far as I know, they disappeared as soon as the video shoot was completed:

18. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

Ingber was briefly in Little Feat before the lineup expanded. Don’t know if it was a permanent slot, but he wrote and played on this.

19. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

You could be correct. There have been contradictory stories out there over what exactly went down.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

him too

21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Im sure they needed additional touring support but afaik they were never members.

22. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

And to keep it going near twenty years on from that, the KC 2018 Tour Elements set has new overdubbed versions of both Cadence and Cascade, and also Dawn Song from Lizard with Jakko Jakszyk's voice in Haskell's place.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

EVH tried to “Chuck” Mike but fans felt differently.

Damien DiAngelo and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Not to divert from the interesting Chuck Cunningham syndrome, this Happy Days-related idea got me thinking if there are musicians who fit instead into Ted McGinley syndrome - any musician who has joined a number of popular bands in succession, but in the period after their heyday and shortly before each group folded.

25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

ted though was on married with children for 7 years though or somethin. hard to say it was past its heyday

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.