Chuck Cunningham Syndrome—Music Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indigovic, Feb 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

True. It's not a completely fair thing he's been saddled with.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

agreed though

SRC likes this.
  3. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Not necessarily written out, but Patty Sullivan, who played bass on The Doors demos, seems to have been almost completely forgotten. As to if she was there to just play on the session, or was actually considered to be an early member of the band, seems to be unclear. Internet searches provide little more than a supposed picture, and nothing else.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I always wondered what would happen if someone were to ask Crosby to autograph a copy of NBB, and request that he sign his name under the horse.

:agree:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    pscreed, Guy Smiley and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I kind of remember this happening with Richie Kotzen after being in Poison for a short time.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. nb2k

nb2k Forum Resident

Gary Cherone in Van Halen might fit this thread's criteria. He appeared only on the 1998 "Van Halen 3" album, and none of those songs were ever played live on four VH tours following Cherone's departure. None of the tracks from the "3" album appeared on the "Best Of Both Worlds" double CD in 2004. And, as far as I know, he wasn't included in VH's induction into the "Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame."

Matthew Tate and Damien DiAngelo like this.
  7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Elliot was never in Little Feat. He played with Richie in Fraternity of Man and with Estrada in the Mothers and eventually Beefheart’s band, but that’s it.

8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

We could point to John French, or Drumbo, from Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band. After being kicked out of the band (literally), Beefheart had his name removed from the credits on Trout Mask Replica and would claim the drums were actually played by Victor Hayden, aka The Mascara Snake.

9. Meddler

Meddler Forum Resident

Dave Ball left Procol Harum at the beginning of the Grand Hotel sessions, so they superimposed Mick Grabham's head on his body for the album cover photo that had already been taken.

10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Mastodon had an original vocalist they seemed to have Chucked.

11. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Joe Lynn Turner (as a replacement singer in Rainbow and Deep Purple)?

Dave Walker might qualify as both a "Chuck Cunningham" and as a "Ted McGinley" -- he was in a number of bands, often for just brief periods of time (Idle Race, Savoy Brown, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath), and currently fronts a version of Humble Pie.

Matthew Tate and SRC like this.
  12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

well it was already a long running established hit show by the time he got there.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. JoeRockhead

this is great. Can think of people who had two but tough to think of three! Timothy B Schmidt - Poco & Eagles, Matt Sorum - The Cult Guns n Roses

SRC likes this.
  14. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Perhaps Tommy Bolin? (James Gang, Deep Purple)

SRC likes this.
  15. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Valid points, but rerecording some of his vocals is “Chucking” him a bit. Whatever. It was just a thought.

16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Apparently it’s gonna by “pile on Guy” day for this.

Maybe it’s not a good comparison, but zi don’t know that Parsons is always associated with them. I think McGuinn, Crosby, and perhaps Gene Clark are more who people think of when they think “classic Byrds.” Parsons, with The Byrds a bit, sure, but that wasn’t the most commercially available era for the band. And I think he’s more associated with the Burritos anyhow?

Anyhow, whatever. He came and went from The Byrds in a hurry. The continued down a country-rock path, but a bit different from Parsons. Some of his vocsls we redubbed. Maybe not “Chucked,” per se, but they moved on without him.

17. Ted Sallis

Ted Sallis Music Collector Extraordinaire

John Curulewski, former guitarist from Styx.

Ted

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Weren't Parson vocals redubbed due to contractual issues, and not out of spite?

19. JoeRockhead

yes and no. Lee Hazlewood raised the contractual objection and McGuinn was more than happy to oblige in a hurry

20. JoeRockhead

I'm sure McGuinn would love to pull a chuck Cunningham on Parsons if it was possible. They certainly made that clear on the recent Sweethearts of the Rodeo tour as their scripted between song banter was aimed at downplaying Parsons' contributions/influence.

21. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

What about the early Pantera singer?

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes but the stigma is he comes to shows as they are dying. clearly 7 more seasons isn't dead and the cast thought it would go 1 more year than it did

JoeRockhead likes this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

What about the guy who replaced Vinnie the last season of Welcome Back Kotter? Kind of a reverse “Chuck”.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Or Al Atkins the original Priest vocalist?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. JoeRockhead

He apparently was a regular on Dynasty also! making the opening credits of 4 prime time series pretty impressive

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.