Cincinnati & Columbus Ohio Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by factory44, Sep 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll be passing through Columbus, and staying in Cinci for a few days next week. I'm looking for recommendations on where to shop. I'm hoping to find good quality used vinyl and used CDs. I'm primarily interested in indie/alternative from the 70's up through today, and rock from the 60's and 70's.

What are the "must see" record stores? Thanks everyone!

2. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

If @Dennis0675 is available, I'm sure he can help.

factory44 and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Around OSU campus in Columbus are several used shops, or at least there was. Used Kids, Dingleberrys and a few others should still be arou7nd there. While I have shopped for used records in Cinci, it has been even longer ago, and they were around CU. In between in Dayton there were several as well.

4. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

For what you are looking for Used kids records in Columbus is going to be best. Magnolia Thunder Puzzy is a close second. If you have time, Lost weekend and RPM are very good shops.

In Cincinnati, Shake it records is by far my favorite shop.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Bought my first ever record at Used Kids in Columbus in 2004, a secondhand copy of Brian Eno's Discreet Music. Haven't been to the store in well over a decade, but it looks like they're still there.

Used Kids Records

factory44 likes this.
  7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Different owner and location but probably better for it.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Another recommendation for Used Kids in Columbus. Be sure to check out their Facebook page. They have a lot of cool in store events.

Tommy Jay and factory44 like this.
  9. DotKom11

DotKom11 Forum Resident

Columbus = Used Kids Records
    Cincinnati = Shake It Records

Both of those shops are amazing and highly recommended.

10. bluej

bluej Senior Member

For Cincinnati, in addition to Shake It, definitely check out Everybody's Records, Torn Light Records, and Plaid Room Records (which is in Loveland, but not too far away and DEFINITELY worth the trip).

Don't neglect Dayton either, which is right in between Cincinnati and Columbus--we've got a few great ones here too. Omega Music and Skeleton Dust Records are both downtown and are definitely worth the trip, and there's also Toxic Beauty Records in Yellow Springs (about a 20 minute drive from downtown).

Simon

11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Used Kids is fun and stocked with what the OP likes, but there are three other record stores in a little loop just off the same 71 exit - RPM, Lost Weekend (meh) and Elizabeth's. I like the last one, myself.

12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

If you have craploads of time and a way to get around, Half Priced Books in Upper Arlington also stocks used CD's and vinyl. Had some good stuff when I used to work there.

13. BigMilkJug

BigMilkJug Well-Known Member

Fond memories of that place. I'm not from the area, or even the state, but I used to visit family there from time to time. A little over fifteen years ago, before one such trip, I had read about Magnolia in a music magazine and knew I absolutely had to go there, if anything for the name alone. It was my first time in a "real" record store and I had a blast. I also remember getting a kick out of seeing new releases out on vinyl. In fact, I think it may have been the very first time I had seen such a thing. New releases on vinyl, not vinyl in general. I'm young but not that young!

I made it out of there with two or three CDs, a patch, and a huge band poster.

DotKom11, Dennis0675 and factory44 like this.
  14. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

In my experience, Shake It is better for vinyl, while Everybody's has a stronger CD selection. Both are good, but I usually prefer going to Everybody's.

factory44 likes this.
  15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

All the record stores have moved off campus. Magnolia is just south in the short north and is more of a black t-shirt metal/alt rock shop than it was back in the day but as such their regular clientele tends to not be interest in the old guy music, I always find something interesting.

factory44 and BigMilkJug like this.
  16. JorgeSmitty

JorgeSmitty Forum Resident

I used to live in Cincy. As stated previously, Shake It Records is very good. Everybody's Records is similar. My personal favorite is Plaid Room Records in Loveland. Great store and great guys that own the place. They also run Colemine Records. They moved to a bigger location last year. They are just vinyl.

Finally, you might want to try one of the Half Price Books locations in the area. Only if one is near by it is it worth stopping in. The one in Kenwood is pretty good. Selection is limited but have both CDs and vinyl. I found a few things there over the years.

Each place has a good mix of music. In my experience, Everybody's leans more towards rock/alternative/metal more than the other ones.

factory44 likes this.
  17. TonyG

TonyG Forum Resident

Plaid Room Records in Loveland, OH. Worth the trip. Plus some good places to eat. I was on a business trip and stumbled across Plaid Room. Had been looking several years for a red label Mercury copy of Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells a Story" with "GK" initials in the dead wax. Told the young guys who own the store what I was looking for. "Hey, I think we have one in our $1 section." And, they both helped me flip through that section. Yes, they had a NM copy. Found a half dozen other records of interest. Very nice vibe.

ODShowtime and factory44 like this.
  18. Papi Hipbone323

Papi Hipbone323 The Stouffer's Lasagna of Audiophiles

As a regular Columbus LP shopper, Used Kids, 2500 Summit St., has been my go-to record store for over 30 years, in all 3 locations. I have lived in several states during that time, and it is by far my favorite place to shop for music. I would also recommend RPM & Lost Weekend, which are both on N. High Street north of the OSU campus & the Half-Price Books location on Lane Ave. I've been underwhelmed by Magnolia & Spoonful through the years and have never been to Elizabeth's but I have heard many good things about it.

19. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I have a Used Kids sticker on a shelf at the house, so I know I have ordered from them in the past. Will try to pop in when I'm in town for KC next week, if time permits.

Dennis0675 and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
  20. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

[ding, ding, ding] This is one of the best places for record-hunting in the state. Seriously.

21. todd141

todd141 Forum Resident

I was just in Used Kids last weekend. (Used to shop School Kids Records when it was on High Street down the stairs in that little shop - loved it.) A lot of the vinyl in the upper/main bins is new so you have to look in the crates on the lower shelf and floor to find some bargains. Prices are not too good on the new stuff in my opinion. (I was only looking in the Rock section sop YMMV looking in other areas.) I did find a used copy of Can Monster Movie in the new acquisition bin, right at the front so check there first. CDs are plentiful, and I found a used copy of Joy Division Heart and Soul, price was good on that for sure.

Was in Magnolia's a couple of years ago, that's a good one also, located on High St, south campus area. Anyone know the name of the used shop that used to be across the street from Magnolia's? Thinking back a looong time ago, when Mustards was there, Trilogy, etc.

If you drive through Dayton, Omega Music is a good place in the (now infamous) Oregon District.

factory44 likes this.
  22. DotKom11

DotKom11 Forum Resident

Last year I found an original silver vinyl pressing of The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium for $15 at Half-Priced Books on Lane Ave, so they definitely have some treasures there from time to time. My only complaint with Half-Price Books is that they price based on the artist and not the condition of the vinly and outer sleeve.

Papi Hipbone323 likes this.
  23. Papi Hipbone323

Papi Hipbone323 The Stouffer's Lasagna of Audiophiles

Wasn't that Singing Dog across the street? I got my first copy of Alice in Chains Dirt there.

24. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

Columbus: Lost Weekend, Spoonful, Used Kids, Elizabeth's

Cincinnati: Shake It, Everybody's

factory44 and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
  25. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

Yes, Singing Dog was located near Magnolia.

Papi Hipbone323 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.