Cinemark's Bag Policy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SBurke, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Did I not post the contact information for Cinemark above?

You can also call them at this number: (800) 246-3627.

I live in the city, and just don't take anything into the theater that doesn't fit in my pockets. It's tough enough to park that -- particularly on a very crowded weekend -- we'll just take an Uber to the theater, buy tickets in advance, walk in, flash the bar code, grab a couple of Slurpees, and we enjoy the show. That eliminates a lot of the annoyance factors with crowds, parking, and delays. It's not a big deal to us. I try to catch maybe a big mass-market film a month, but there's only so many hours a day.

I understand the rules and I kind of go in understanding that the theaters and studios make them (and the same rules apply to legitimate theater as well). We have the choice either to go along with them, or you can wait until the film comes out on DVD or Blu-ray and just watch it at home.

I have the same philosophy about restaurants: they're gonna throw you out of the place if you try to bring in a bottle or your own food, because you're taking away from their profits. Same thing if you're walking around reading a book, and you walk into a book store... or you're carrying an iPad for entertainment, and you walk into an Apple store. They're all going to gripe that it's not in a bag. Some retail establishments will pull you aside and just hand you a bag and tell you to put your stuff in that so that there's no confusion. I think there are understood rules about stores, restaurants, theaters, and other public places that have just become standard policy. You can feel free to disagree, but I'm just observing that this is the way life is.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    jpelg, razerx and showtaper like this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hahahha. Best laugh I've had all day. Thanks.

the pope ondine likes this.
  3. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Your wife sounds cool. What is her favourite film of last year?

4. It's Felix

What is shrimping?

5. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

You buy a bag of shrimp load up your pockets and then you hide them all over the place.

forthlin likes this.
  6. Juan Matus

Respect. Shrimpin ain't easy.

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Where I live, a metal detector check-point at every theater entrance would be a welcome addition.

lightbulb likes this.
  8. It's Felix

Doesn't that impact the audience as opposed to the owners? Fight the man, not the people, man......

9. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

This statement really struck me!
    In 2019 I cannot imagine such a scenario in the USA!?!
    Do you always stay within the city of Chicago?

10. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Does this include women's purses?

lightbulb likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's not actually illegal.

Chicago has excellent public transit - buses, the elevated trains (aka the L), commuter trains for the suburbs and suburban buses.

mmars982 and Ghostworld like this.
  12. Juan Matus

I didn't think anyone would actually take me seriously.

SBurke and It's Felix like this.
  13. It's Felix

I was picturing you taping old shrimp to the underneath of all those seats!!!

Juan Matus likes this.
  14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

In this day and age of shootings occurring frequently (weekly, seemingly daily), I understand venues limiting what customers can bring into the building.

(Especially theatres; in which everyone knows, flaunts, or has seen the “outside food” policy.)

However, since the employees are not searching and looking in the bags, and smaller bags are OK, then it’s a flawed policy.

There’s a gaping, silly loophole. A big miss.

In this situation, the “manager pulled on {the bag} to stretch it to its limit.”

What’s the logic in that?
    I don’t understand that at all!
    The violation is literally “empty space”!!!

Can you imagine if the TSA employed that inane procedure at airport security and luggage check-ins...?

o_O :confused: :crazy:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    SBurke and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Sadly, having lockers - without “reasonable” inspection - also provides opportunity for cowardly terrorists.
    An explosive device with a timer could be placed inside a locker, unknown to everyone.
    (Just one example - the Boston Marathon explosion from several years ago, albeit that was a big pressure cooker, IIRC.)

SBurke likes this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You got fried shrimping, boiled shrimping....

17. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

How am I suppose to bring in my cell phone jammer now??

Vidiot and SBurke like this.
  18. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I think the idea of “if you don’t like it don’t go there” extremely oversimplifies the issue. If you’re an establishment open to the public your behavior is subject to public scrutiny.

19. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Also, occasionally there is only a single theater or chain that has a particular film.

SBurke likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

For I a minute I read that as: "How am I supposed to bring in my toe jammer?"

SHRIMPING!!!!!

22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Yes, you are free to scrutinize all you want. And you are free to not go to that theater.
    And they are free to not give a rat's patootie about your concerns. If it impacts them negatively, they will likely change. But for whatever reason, they have decided that they are making more revenue at their Snack bar with this policy than they are losing through pissing off customers who will now no longer attend.

Guess what? It is their business and their choice, not yours. Your choice is to not attend if you cannot play by their rules, no matter how stupid those rules may seem to us.

Don't wallow in being a victim. Find another solution. Go to a different movie house. (Which you have been doing. Good for you.)

Vidiot and showtaper like this.
  23. Juan Matus

Actually bay scallops might be better now that I think about it.

Ghostworld likes this.
  24. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Some of your examples were good, but not this one. Apple doesn't care if you have an iPhone, iPad or your own Mac out and are using it in their stores. They actually would probably encourage it. I used to work in an Apple Store and people would come in with their Macs all the time to use the wifi or something and get some work done. It was all good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.