Cinemark's Bag Policy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SBurke, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The Health department actually has the ability to issue fines which Instagram lacks.

2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

306 equals a movie six days a week, for a year, almost. Your wife, God bless her, is an outlier. How many people actually have that level of commitment to any form of entertainment?

I'm in Northern New Jersey. There are a few old-fashioned single theaters in towns around here, but I haven't been to one in 20 years. And when I say $30, it's more like $25, if I have a beer or two and somebody decides to get some food. If we go to 10 movies a year as a family, that's often enough.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

When I went to see “glass” today I noticed that they now serve beer at my local movie theater. I had no idea. Do they do that everywhere now?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For what movie tickets cost, how about sound which is pleasant to listen to (in the 1970's it was). (Rant Mode ON) How about projectionists who know what they're doing. And food options for those who need to deal with any special issues. Blank Blank Hollywood, MPAA, obnoxious DRM, Dolby Surround, Atmos, volume level abuse, and those who make movies worse and worse. How about storylines, better screenplays, movies worth dressing up to see, wheelchair seating which doesn't make my neck non functional for 3 months, and movies worth getting dressed up to see. (Rant Mode OFF) Also, AVR and Sound Bars need to DIE, how about home video LEVEL STANDARDS and TV also doing this and doing what both industries should have done in 1940 something? I had nice movies, pleasant mono audio (which was not too loud, and sounded nice). and pleasant movie experiences over 40 years ago. Surround, grow up and be pleasant to listen to, or DIE!!! We need QUALITY experiences. Not more subs, or more channels. Which are doable for average people on average budgets, with average rooms. And a theater should step up their game, and make it special and worth coming back. I love good movies and great presentation and movie experiences which make me want to watch more movies. Hollywood, you often did better, you can do better. Amaze me. How about fewer comic book adaptations, car crashes, explosions, and some subtleties. An action picture done well I love, but how about something which engages me and less formulas and sequels. Take some risks.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Usherettes in pillbox hats and little black shorts would do it for me.

6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

they still do those sometimes:

[​IMG]

although you might get tazed if you light up a cigarette

Dr. Funk and Vidiot like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Sorry, but I don't accept majority of your rant. Of the 306 films my wife saw last year, more than 200 of them were new. Only a dozen of them were comic book movies. The vast majority of them were novel, original films that played for a freaking week, possible two. They came and went because the people who would enjoy them don't bother to find out what films are actually playing. Yes, the films that are heavily advertised tend to be sequels or big action films. But contrary to your rant, there are as many small intimate, intelligent and grown up films as ever - and you never bothered to find out.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    gojikranz, brownie61 and subzro like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

I understand the average American watches 4 to 5 hours of television every day. My wife's 2 to 3 hours every night at the movies is considerably less.

AMC A*List gets her into a theater three times a week for $20 a month. The rest of the time, she at art houses like the Gene Siskel Film Center or the Music Box for $6 a ticket. And of course every Tuesday is $5 at AMC.

I'm pretty confident she spends less to see movies every night than most people pay for cable TV.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, swear to god. Everything self-serve. But they guard it pretty carefully and the only way to exit is to walk by a clerk and a register. AMC is a bunch of cheap bastids.

10. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

4-5 hours of daily TV isn't nearly the same as going out to a movie six days a week.

She's really into movies. That's cool. Just pointing out that it's unusual. And she keeps track of what she saw and when she saw it. It's a hobby.

11. the pope ondine

I think theres a deal where is you pay 15 bucks you get free refills for a year....don't quote me on that....

12. Chris DeVoe

Yeah, we had that bucket.

13. Chris DeVoe

It's pretty much what everyone did prior to television. And for all the talk about this being the "Golden Age of Television", if you actually want to see all that stuff you'll have to have a cable subscription. Plus one to Netflix. Plus one for Amazon Prime. And Hulu. And Epix. And a half-dozen other ones.

True enough, but more people should try it. It's a pet peeve when people say there's nothing but sequels and remakes when it's just not true.

14. marka

marka Forum Resident

Your wife is now tweeting her movies! Very cool. We want to see the Callas movie after reading her tweets.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. the pope ondine

yep, if you watch old movies/tv shows its interesting how many people were....going to the movies

[​IMG]

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think the existence of self-serve beverages argues otherwise, actually. That system opens up all sorts of potential "customer abuse", as there's little to stop someone from just using their own cup - or just bringing back a previously purchased AMC cup and reusing it.

At least at the AMCs near me. The Coke FS machines are next to the concessions counter but they're not so close that you couldn't fill a non-AMC cup without someone noticing.

If they were totally obsessed with the bottom line, I don't think they'd have a beverage system that gives the customer so much control.

Though I'm sure their bean counters worked out the math and figured the Coke FS machines offer more of a gain than a loss, even if some customers misuse them...

Vidiot likes this.
  17. the pope ondine

they might have someone monitoring the cameras.

18. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Proof that conditioning does work.

19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

My sympathy for the OP. OAH some people don't seem able to survive 2 straight hours without eating/and or drinking something, which is beyond my comprehension.

googlymoogly likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Maybe, but I doubt it. My nearest AMC often seems understaffed - I kinda doubt they hired someone just to watch monitors to see if customers are stealing beverages.

I suspect it's more like the fact that so many Chipotle customers request a water cup and then fill it with pop: the companies just accept a certain amount of theft. Not saying they're happy about it, but I guess they figure it's not worth the effort to actively fight it.

Though I'm sure the issue at Chipotle is way worse than any abuse at AMC. I've never seen anyone hit a Coke machine at AMC with anything other than an AMC cup - they might be reusing these, but I doubt that happens much.

On the other hand, people regularly use water cups for pop at Chipotle. It's ridiculous - I'm shocked when I see someone use the cup for water, as abuse runs so rampant!

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've been told by restaurant workers that they don't so much look at how much liquid is used every day, but rather by how many CUPS are used. That's where the charges come in from Coke, Pepsi, and the other vendors. This is why so many restaurants offer free refills. No doubt at theaters, the biggest profits come from candy, popcorn, and snacks. I think a $6 bag of popcorn represents about 10 cents worth of kernels, 25 cents worth of popping, and 25 cents worth of labor. A 60-cent cost for a $6 product is a pretty good ratio for retail. If they can cut out the labor... even better for them.

22. the pope ondine

23. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Ah, but you forgot 'mystery' oil (aka 'butter')

24. Chris DeVoe

They are letting random people scoop popcorn? Bleagh!

25. Chris DeVoe

From Ghost World. "On popcorn with extra disgusting yellow goo..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.