Cinemax...Mike Judge Presents: Tales from the tour bus

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris from Chicago, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

I stumbled upon this late one evening earlier this week. I didn't know it existed. Evidently this is season 2. It's presented (audibly) as a rock documentary... but visually it is in cartoon form. It's very well made and really quite funny.

George Clinton was the first episode. Rick James is the next.

The bit where George Clinton was addicted to crack but promised his band not to smoke any until the tour was over. Then finally did alone in his hotel room was single handedly the most unexpectedly hilarious thing I've seen in a while.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'll have to check it out. The single season Roadies was a massive disappointment, and it would be nice to see someone do something with this environment.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

Yeah. I really wanted to like Roadies. I liked the actors on that show. The content just didn't deliver.

The Tales from the Tour Bus features actual told stories about crazy tour happenings... while showing them to you by way of cartoon. It's real. And it's funny.

Chris DeVoe and JackBnimble like this.
  4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’m going to check this out. Beavis Butthead and Silicon Valley are 2 of my all time favorite shows.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  5. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

I love Mike Jugde stuff. Idiocracy was stunningly prescient.

However " co-created, executive produces and narrates" sounds like a lot of words for minimal involvement.

I'll give it a look though. I'm always on the lookout for something to watch on planes (which is where I do my experimenting).

6. anodyne

anodyne Forum Resident

Season One covered country artists, including Johnny Paycheck, Billy Joe Shaver, George Jones and Tammy Wynette. It's a wonderful show.

7. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

I find myself really enjoying this show. If I had to pick out why I like it so much, it's the way that the most shocking or outlandish incident (shootings, arrests, drunken/drug-induced antics) is presented in a most matter of fact matter; it's very dry and very funny!

I didn't think the jump from country to funk would provide as many unbelievable stories, but it hasn't disappointed. The stories are still jaw-droppingly amazing!

8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reminder. Been meaning to watch this since it debuted. Recently changed cable service, and I have cinemax.

The George Clinton episode was great. It's the episode P-Funk deserved!

Real glad the artists aren't shying away from these kinds of stories.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Judging by this promo (which, be warned, is very R-rated), this will be a weird show...

10. Oh wow, this is a must watch! I'm blazed while watching favorite (cartoon) musicians getting blazed?

C'mon now, I'm in! :D

:goodie:

11. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Even though it's more grounded than Judge's other works, his fingerprints are all over it. Comedy and tragedy are united in a way few other creators can match.

12. Don't forget time . . .

13. Chris DeVoe

... And don't forget the carnival of insanity that is Jerry Lee Lewis!

14. Heart attack.

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I love all things Mike Judge (except “King of the Hill” which I casually ignored).

16. Chris DeVoe

I've watched a number of these and the stories really are crazy fun. The two parter about George Jones and Tammy Wynette was just plain nuts.

17. Yeah man, I had no clue that George Jones was a raging alcoholic.

But remember that part where they called George Jones "Possum," because his eyes were so close together? I kid you not, when I was a kid one of the old, old folks pointed this guy out to me, saying, "See that feller?" I acknowledged that I did. Then that old man said to me, "You see a man with eyes like that, real close together like, and that man is either stupid, or mean, or both. You hear me, boy? Stay away from a man like that."

Now, reflecting on George Jones, how true were those old words, as Jones was probably both of those things. The description of him certainly doesn't sound like a smart man. From the show, it gives the impression that Jones was a base dullard with beautiful voice as his only saving grace. He seemed like a pretty conniving fellow, only not with enough mental aptitude to be too dangerous - just dangerous enough to hurt and destroy those around him.

Of course one of those old folk told me that if you see a dog eating his dookie, that dog needs to be put down: that it's no good to anybody from there on out. So, go figure. :D

18. Chris DeVoe

I'm taking my time watching these because I know it'll be a long time before I get some more.

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

No kidding :D
    If there ever was a list of raging alcohlics in the music biz, George Jones would hold a top spot

20. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

The most enjoyable show on TV right now, one of my jobs is subtitle TV shows and movies and this is one of the few series that i really look forward to work on, it's so damn fun and educational, a must watch, especially for music fans.

21. I've been binge-watching Tales this weekend, and the Adams brothers have to be the stars of the first series. I love how they have all these stories about fights, people getting shot, and knocking George Jones out with a door, and they just have a good ol' laugh about it all like it wasn't no thing. :)

ex_mixer and Chris DeVoe like this.
  22. I got caught up last night.

As much as I loved the C&W season (yeah, I'm from Texas and my grandfather knew Waylon Jennings), that stuff with George Clinton was killer!

The second part of Rick James fired me up!

Ruffin said
    about the competition between Price and Rick, "That little mother****er had Rick working his ass off!"
    I rolled laughing! Until they put in the part
    about Prince's death
    . Oh snap, I wasn't expecting that. That still hurts.

Then the Bootsy episode! Man, Bootsy said
    they'd been on acid non-stop from 1968 to the late '70s.
    How could anybody actually do that?! Insane!

Such a good show.

By the way, I'm not too big into animation, but I would recommend Big Mouth on Netflix. If you don't find something in there that you can relate to, something is wrong with you. :)

ex_mixer likes this.
  23. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Always an entertaining show. I'm really looking forward to the Morris Day episode.

On a related note, the line between Mike Judge's actual voice and Butt-Head is getting blurrier!

ex_mixer and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. I'm all caught up.

Did anyone see the Morris Day episode?

It's interesting to note that it was marginally a Morris Day episode and more of a Prince show. It's as if they had worked up a Prince episode, couldn't get permission, so they recut it, framed around Morris, yet sliding in as much about Prince as possible as a "supporting cast" member.

No spoilers here, really, but it was the second episode of the series that gave a tribute to Prince, about his death and how much he'll be missed.

I take it that Mike Judge is a pretty big Prince fan.

Rufus McDufus and ex_mixer like this.
  25. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby Forum Resident

OOPS
    My bad.
    I started a second thread on Tales From The Tour Bus last week.
    Just saw this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.