CJ Fish (The Album) - Country Joe & The Fish

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

For the CD of C.J. Fish I see a '94 and a '98 UK import. Are either of these OK? Are there others?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  2. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Thanks very much for the information. I also agree that the 2 CD sets are really good. I am aware of the remixed nature of the original CD of "Electric Music" but I have to say that it's pretty close to the original mix as I remember.

Also, if you want vinyl, I can totally recommend for the first album the version on Pure Pleasure Records, which was mastered by Steve Hoffman and truly sounds phenomenal.

samthesham likes this.
  3. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I have that but for my taste nothing betters my WLP stereo pressing, Sam Charters was 1 of very few that understood the then new stereo format & it shows brilliantly on EMFTMAB

zongo likes this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Any love for Country Joe's solo debut, Hold On It's Coming? Always enjoyed it.

cjc and zongo like this.
  5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yup and various single songs are also good thruout thier tender....... (In the 60s)

6. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Yes, great album. Actually probably my favorite of all his solo albums.

7. Electric

I bought Together based on the AMG review. It has its moments but I too frequently hit the 'next track' button, and I hate having to do that. CJ Fish sounds much more consistent.

8. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I love Together actually. CJ is a 'normal' album in comparison. None of the zaniness of the earlier albums. The first 3 are where it's at for me.

Gumboo likes this.
  9. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

10. donohed

all great. i don't have the 05 dvd, Into The Fray, or 50. i do have the lp version of Fillmore West (Jack Casady owns that band), a signed first print ep (except for the 2 gguys that didnt make it to EMFTH&B. all the rest on vinyl ex Superstition Blues (EX) on cd. Hold On It's Coming features The Green God on 1 or 2 tracks

11. donohed

the book by Ron Cabal? Country Joe And Me is a good read. i bought one from ebay, and it was signed by both those guys ! the CJ sig looks like others i have , and the preprinted Woodstock 8x10 one

12. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

The time has come today to revisit a 49 year old Fishless Country Joe classic!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

INCREDIBLE! LIVE! COUNTRY JOE! - COUNTRY JOE McDONALD (Vanguard Masters) CD

Recorded live at the Bitter End, NYC. 11 & 12 November 1971.

Vanguard Masters edition issued via Ace Records - includes 6 page leaflet.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Dennis Metz likes this.
  13. Jackie P

I see the image for the front sleeve for CJ FISH is now missing from the original post. Can't have that!

[​IMG]
    CJ FISH | COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH (Ace/Vanguard Masters) CD

Over the decade this album has never failed to impress me. It is still available from Ace Records (UK) for the very reasoable price of £7.43
    Check the link below for details...

https://acerecords.co.uk/c-j-fish

Other COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH CDs still available through Ace...
    Country Joe & The Fish - Ace Records

ganma likes this.
  14. Jackie P

Reviving the first COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH album - and what a seriously wonderful work it is - both mono & stereo versions.

[​IMG]
    Electric Music For The Mind And Body | Country Joe & The Fish (Vanguard) 2CD

"This deluxe edition is the first time producer Sam Charters’ original stereo mixdown of “Electric Music For The Mind And Body” has been reissued on compact disc."

[​IMG]

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/electric-music-for-the-mind-and-body-country-joe-the-fish-2cd.689241/page-2

Further recommended reading
    https://acerecords.co.uk/electric-music-for-the-mind-and-body

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  15. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

That first album "Electric Music..." is wonderful, an instant classic psych album.

"Feel Like I'm Fixin..." is a dud except for the title song. I thought "Together" was an improvement, with the humor and zaniness returning.
    Never heard "CJ Fish" but I might give it a chance, knowing it's not the same band as the original and probably is totally different

16. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

About that cover, they look so different from the early stuff. Who's who on that cover? Can someone do a l-r?

17. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Both of the '67 albums are classics, as are the previous EPs. We don't talk about CJ & The Fish too much here for some reason but for connoisseurs of '60s psych or Bay Area music in general - the music is fabulous.

ganma, Jackie P and Electric like this.
  18. Jackie P

Like most listens a lot depends on current mood/events & just like the 1st. album I still love just about everything on the follow up...

[​IMG]
    "I-FEEL-LIKE-I'M-FIXIN'-TO-DIE" | Country Joe And The Fish (Vanguard) 2CD (Mono+Stereo)

"This deluxe reissue features Charters’ original stereo and mono mixes of the album, the latter available for the first time since 1967. Bonus cuts include an unreleased alternate mix of the title track (minus sound effects), while the deluxe 40-page booklet is stuffed with rare photos and memorabilia...Most importantly, “I-Feel-Like-I’m-Fixin’-To-Die” sounds better than ever. "

Further recommended reading
    https://acerecords.co.uk/i-feel-like-im-fixin-to-die-1

[​IMG]

ganma and Electric like this.
  19. Electric

The first album I ever bought with my own money, just after it came out. I used to horrify the adults by playing them the opening song. The 2CD reissue was an instant buy.

20. jmcinnis

jmcinnis Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This is the version that played Woodstock.
    L-to-R: bassist Doug Metzner (a friend of mine had him as a teaching assistant in college!); Barry Melton; Joe McDonald; wearing the hat is drummer Greg Dewey (a.k.a. Dewey da Grease - later in Country Joe/Marty Balin related Berkeley band 'Grootna' and Marty's 'Bodacious D.F.'); on the right is keyboardist Mark Kapner.

Last night 'Doctor of Electricity' from 'Here We Are Again' came up on random play, I love this song for Barry's zany singing and frantic lead guitar and the powerful Yggdrasil bass of Peregine Pickle (Jack Casady.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.