Clapton and the King: "Riding With The King" gets 20th anniversary reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleJWOL, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I like the album where as I should have loved it. It's tough to mess up a heavyweight combo of BB King and Eric Clapton. However, it lacked grit. It's a little too sanitized and clean where it should have sounded down and dirty. Simon Climie was the wrong choice to produce this album.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Due to the reissue, I revisited this album for the first time in well over a decade. It doesn't completely grate on me the way it used to, but I still think it is a very underwhelming musical statement by two giants. It has a few moments of inspiration (e.g. Ten Long Years, Three O' Clock Blues, and When My Heart Beats Like A Hammer), but way too much commercialized fluff to ever elevate this album beyond mediocrity.

JulesRules and chickendinna like this.
  3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I like it too. Not sure why but I can just sit back an enjoy.
    I stopped toiling about the details of music years ago.

RiRiIII, chickendinna and AFA like this.
  4. grantbarrick

grantbarrick Well-Known Member

Agree. It’s not a bad album at all. It can’t match the concept of EC & BB KING!!!!!

But, there’s only one way for that to happen a and thousands of ways for that not to happen. That it didn’t live up to “what could have been” doesn’t make it bad. There is still plenty on there that is thoroughly enjoyable to listen to.

southamorican and chickendinna like this.
  5. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

If you remove the Rock tracks and just listen to the Blues numbers, it's a much better album. The ability to make and save your own albums easily is one of the things I like about streaming.

6. grantbarrick

grantbarrick Well-Known Member

Wrong producer and the use of drum tracks was absurd, IMO. But, I also don’t listen to the album with an inability to get over the drums....just feels like a really odd choice. Bit of square peg and round hole, stylistically.

7. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

Recorded twenty years too late and with the wrong producer.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Didn't know there was an SACD but definitely feel the DVD-A 5.1 mix is worthwhile over the stereo. As for the album, I don't get the criticism, this is the greatest musical work ever to come out of the human mind from all of history! Well, OK, maybe not. But it's still nice, and nicer in surround.

9. Now that I have a proper surround setup, I decided to order thd DVD-A also.

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Mine's sitting right here. Pulled it when this thread started. Haven't decided on either the Blues vinyl box, or a black 2020 reissue, or maybe not buy the vinyl at all. We'll see.

11. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

I got the 2lp 20th anniversary blue vinyl of this the other day it sounds fantastic, very big sound, extremely quiet pressing and wide sound stage.

j3brow and JulesRules like this.
  12. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

Maybe not a super grat album, but the version of Come rain or come shine is great and worth it all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.