"Clarice" on CBS

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Klavier, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I haven't seen a second of this so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about... but even back in the 1990's there was a deluge of American TV programs of criminal profilers. Heck, in the pilot episode of the X-Files it was said the Mulder was a criminal profiler.

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

John E. Douglas the creator of the FBI's Criminal Profiling Program said lots of fiction writers would sit in on his lectures to FBI agents to gather background info for novels. He said most of them including Thomas Harris didn’t have the stomach for it.

Scopitone likes this.
  3. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

And all of those shows were made because Silence Of The Lambs was so popular. As far as Clarice goes, she's an rookie FBI agent and not really a profiler. I'm going to give it a chance. A lot of great shows take some time to get going.

Curveboy likes this.
  4. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident Thread Starter

The second episode was disappointing--more of a by-the-numbers cop show and quite predictable.

5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

[​IMG]

This Clarice had some chemistry with her co-star

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The first episode looked great and was very enjoyable but I agree that the second episode was more police procedural. Certainly not a bad show and worth giving a shot in its first season.

7. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident Thread Starter

It’s still better than “S.W.A.T” or “FBI”—but that’s a low bar!

maui jim likes this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

episode 2 a little forced. i hate kids in dramatic TV shows.

and it seems the love/hate relationship between clarice and her boss is now love/love.

we'll see where it goes, but i do not have high hopes based on the first 2, i am staying with it though.

John B Good likes this.
  9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

The relationship between the cult leader and Clarice was absurd. And he and the bad sheriff were just big pimps....

The flashback scenes ...

Don't think I'll be back

10. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I'll give it one more episode but the treacly pop songs are so annoying.

11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

PS I came back, an am a little intrigued about the conspiracy theory (the guy who was poisoned is only a bit player after all.)

BTW can't they afford lighting in FBI offices? So many scenes in dark dark rooms.

12. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I just caught the ending scene of yesterday's episode hopping back and forth from a Dateline real crime solving episode just to see if Clarice stopped getting dismissed by her boss which of course wasn't the case but at least it got intriguing with flashbacks to a smarmy looking police officer leaving a can of beverage and the note with the suspect foaming at the mouth.

I'll give this show a second chance and tune in next week's episode. And yeah, I'm getting tired of the ashen bluish dark offices that seem to pander to the audience indicating they're trying to create as dark an environment as the "Silence Of The Lambs" but without directly copying the cinematography and color timing.

Come on folks! Use your imagination!

13. Yeah that was just another trope from every other series. It could have still been there but handled with bit more subtly. I watched the first two episodes and wasn’t wowed.

14. No. Considering that Ellen will soon be Elliot maybe Thar’s not a bad thing. Her accent was pretty good.

John B Good likes this.
  15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

CBS must really be in love with "things our audience already likes that we can license", over honest creativity and show development.

I wonder where they got the idea for The Equalizer...

FVDnz likes this.
  16. I thi8ght he was fine 9n Southland and The Walking Dead. It’s not just the actor but directi0n and writing.

17. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

1st episode- meh.
    2nd- ok.
    3rd- I couldn’t follow the plot, the dialogue was poorly mixed, and everyone speaks at the same flat volume and fast tempo.

maui jim likes this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

episode 3 - boring to the nth degree.

i get that was the first big set-up for the season long case that is supposed to be happening. but they gotta do something interesting, and fast or there isn't going to be a 'season long" anything.

19. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

They passed on another season of Hannibal for this. Shame.

20. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

Hannibal was on a different network and no one passed on another season of it for this. Totally unrelated events.

21. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

But even that's stupidly wrong, as Lambs is quite classically shot and lit, with the hues and tones that inform that film utterly subdued (compared to the overt stylisation of Ridley Scott's Hannibal). Lambs is all browns, greys and greens, with the 'darkness' only truly literal in the penultimate scene (i.e. Buffalo Bill's basement); the film's overwhelming sense of dread builds from the subject matter itself, and is rarely (obviously) expressionistic. Clarice desperately wants to mine the sober tone of Demme's Lambs whilst clumsily applying Hannibal's aesthetic of visual excess - and fails miserably on both counts. The Silence of the Lambs (still) resonates because of its subtlety and careful control of subject matter that, in (much) lesser hands, would be played (and lit) for sheer Grand Guignol sensationalism. Which, of course, it now routinely is.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  22. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

That's not what I meant. MGM passed on Bryan Fuller, who wanted to use the characters from SOL, in the next season of Hannibal. Now they start their own show, which can't even make any references to Hannibal Lector or any other characters they don't own. It's incredibly stupid.

23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Jodie Foster’s new movie The Mauritanian is about an accused terrorist not a serial killer, and she plays a lawyer not an FBI agent, but there are a number of scenes of her visiting a prison and reacting to ugly photos and accounts of torture, and the vague echoes made me think it could be interesting to see her play Clarice again, now at the other end of her career. It would have to be a story invented independently of Thomas Harris given the Hannibal novel, but then that’s what this TV show is.

24. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

We watched the first episode and meant to catch the next one but have not watched it. I did not think it was terrible; I was not expecting a revelatory show so I was not disappointed. We will probably catch what we missed On Demand.

25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

By the same token, Hannibal wasn’t allowed to mention Clarice.