Class A headphone amp under $1000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by smith6552, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'm awaiting arrival of the Quicksilver headphone amp ($998). Hoping to get it today.

Ham Sandwich and M.R.Collins like this.
  2. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

I had an Asgard 2 and upgraded to a 3 almost as soon as it came out, so I don’t have it anymore. But the 2 sounded perfectly fine to me when I had it, odd.

3. smith6552

smith6552 trust the process, not the internet Thread Starter

I've never soldered before but for the price it's definitely something I'd consider. If I don't like it my overall budget really isn't affected that much. Unfortunately, the chassis is sold out.

4. Batty

Batty Forum Resident

If you do go down that path don't forget you need to buy the parts to put on the pcb, there is a thread on DIYaudio and it has a link to Mouser that has all the parts identified and all you do is click their list and it puts them in your cart.
    Shame the chassis is out of stock, it does look the part.

5. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I really like my Schiit Asgard 2(used as a preamp, not headphone amp as I dont own cans). I am about to move and cant wait to set up this simple system. Schiit Bifrost 4490>Schiit Asgard 2>Innersound iPower 750 monos>Carver Amazing Silver MK4. A "Born in the U.S.A. system" designed by 4 audio legends.

Can't wait to do the first 4 words of the following vid (thats my friend at the 1:19 mark, he got to meet and chill with Bootsy).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    ssmith3046 likes this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's good to know because I bought a used one off ebay today for a hundred bucks. Looked new and I figured for a hundred bucks why not. I've owned and own Schiit equipment and have always been impressed with the sound and quality of the build.

7. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

I just ordered a Asgard 2 on clearance. It was $177.23 with tax and shipping to Pennsylvania. Hopefully I'll get it Friday, but it looks like Monday.

No idea how it sounds, but I cam report back. I only have modest headphones and am primarily a speaker listener for your reference.

It will be used with a Schiit Gumby and AKG K550 headphones.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Ought to sound great. Never had the Gumby but owned a Modi 3, Bifrost 4490, Modi multibit, and Bifrost multibit. Using a Modius now and I like it so much I've put off ordering a Bifrost 2. A lot bang for your buck with Schiit.

9. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Burson Soloist MKII - full class A, discreet op amp design. I love mine!

Soloist SL MK2

[​IMG]

Razakoz and ssmith3046 like this.
  10. Ecki

Ecki Forum Resident

A different approach here. German Hifi mag "Stereoplay" publishes a best of list each month (online, free as pdf).
    Here is an excerpt of their current headphone amp listing.
    Of course, no details and other ears will judge different, but it can help...

Below:
    an = sound quality via analogue input
    dg = dito via digital input (which ever used)

My opinion:
    I've heard the RME ADI with Audeze LCD-XC and it felt as flat as it's fame for being extremely neutral.
    If the Marantz HD-DAC 1 deserves 59 points at its best, the Musical Fidelity MX-HPA (not tested by Stereoplay) sounds clearly better to me (again Audeze, which it can drive much better)

One might say, what kind of difference will make a single point => try it!

Model an|dg list€ date of test
    ========================================================================
    McIntosh MHA150{(DSD)} 60|64 6.000 4/17
    Octave V16{(also an integrated amp)} 63|— 8.500 5/17
    RME ADI-2 Pro{(incl. ADC)} 61|62 1.600 5/17
    Quad PA One Plus 61|61 1.700 8/19
    Cayin CS-1H —|60 1.000 6/17
    Lehmannaudio Linear D{(DAC)} 60|60 1.250 5/16
    Hifiman EF-100 59|57 600 7/17
    Lindemann Limetree Headphone 59|— 900 12/18
    Cayin iHA-6 59|— 900 10/16
    SPL Auditor 59|— 770 12/11
    Violectric HPA V 181{(symmetrisch 60 Punkte)} 59|— 850 12/11
    Marantz HD DAC 1 58|59 800 2/15
    Pro-Ject Head Box DS2 B 58|— 525 8/19
    Klipsch Heritage Inspired KHV 58|58 600 8/19
    Fostex HP-A4BL —|58 590 5/17
    Ami DS5{(DAC)} —|58 640 1/15

kaikki on aivan jees likes this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

I've had a few days with the Quicksilver HP amp. So far I'm very pleased but what's really surprising is how incredible it sounds functioning as a preamp in my main rig. Hooked it up just for $#!+z and grins and wow...

12. Ilusndweller

Ive got 4 Schiit headphone amps and zero headphones, I think you might be onto something. ;)

I think of them as gain stages and am going for a minimalist/ZERO "knick knacks/whistles/bells/choices other than volume and input" system. For more inputs and remote controllability, I may bypass their volume pots and feed into them with a Creek OBH-12 passive. My next upgrade in mind is a remote controlled TVC or other high end non-pot/physical contact volume control.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I've got probably a dozen headphone amps. As far as I can recall, only one of them is class A. It's the original Schiit Asgard from back in 2011. Everything else is class AB.

I've never purchased a headphone amp based just on whether it was class-A, class-AB, or something else. I'm more interested in the sound qualities of the amp and power output than whether it is pure class A or not.

My best amps are a Cavalli Liquid Fire and Cavalli Liquid Glass. Both are class AB, but biased very heavily into class A territory. They're both capable of around 4-6 watts at 32 ohms. They're both powerful enough and biased enough into class A territory that for any reasonable headphone you'll be listening to class A sound. I've heard many pure class A amps that sound worse, including some that cost more than my Cavalli amps. I don't want to limit myself to just class A amps and ignore the better sound I could get from the better class AB amps.

14. Ilusndweller

Ive got 2 class AB (Magni 3, Magni Heresy), 1 tube (Vali 2), and 1 class A (Asgard 2). I dont know that I could distinguish bw the Magni 3, Magni Heresy, and Vali 2 if blindly compared. Though I do believe I could (without tooo much difficulty) pick out the Asgard from those 3 if blindly tested. And while I prefer the Asgard (in my setups), I could see where others wouldnt in theirs, or even in my setups as everyone hears differently. I could also easily see where I might prefer the others over the Asgard if I had different setups. That system synergy (to a particular persons hearing) thing.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  15. zonto

zonto Forum Resident

Can you please elaborate on why you preferred the Asgard 2 and how it compares to the other amps?

16. Alex Vlach

Alex Vlach Well-Known Member

Bumping an old thread...if you're still around Helom, i would be curious to know if you still have the Quicksilver and how you feel about it 9 months later, thank you.

17. Ilusndweller

I was running B&W CDM-1SE then. The Asgard 2 made the metal dome tweeter sound less harsh, smoother(those speakers mated best with a Luxman M120A but that amp needs fixed). The other ones (even the tube Vali 2)sounded more similar to the SS pres/integrateds/receivers I had been using. So it mated well with the speakers I was running at the time. I would not call it a neutral/fast sounding preamp, rather it is quite warm sounding which worked well with those speakers.

18. VapourTrailUS

VapourTrailUS Internet “Person”

I was pretty close to buying a RebelAmp. People really like it and it's class A. I'm mostly into blasting vinyl these days though and am pretty happy with my cheap iFi Zen Can (which also happens to be class A).

19. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yes, I still have it. It’s plenty good for my Grado RS2Es. I’m not much of a headphone listener so take my opinion with a large dose of salt. I have also used it as a single-source preamp into my Benchmark AHB2 with interesting results.

The transformer coupling of the Quicksilver HPA is similar to my Allnic preamp in that it produces excellent dynamics.

20. Alex Vlach

Alex Vlach Well-Known Member

Good feedback, thank you. I also have the RS2e (w/G pads) however i would mostly be using the HD800. At this point i think the only other contender would be the Woo Audio WA6se (also transformer coupled and quite powerful), however i cannot find any comparative reviews or impressions, perhaps because the Quicksilver is not very well known. That said, all my instincts tell me the Quicksilver is the one i should get, i really like how unique it is, there is a certain exclusivity about it...and Quicksilver just happens to be located an hour drive away from where i live...so...my finger is on the trigger!

21. Helom

Helom Forum member

The guy from whom I bought the QS was deep into headphones apparently. He claimed to like the QS HPA so much that he owned two of them. He owns far more expensive cans than I use though.

In terms of build quality, the QS is like a tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.