Class D amplification?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Your best source (in addition to Meadowlark Audio Homepage ) for Meadowlark info/first hand accounts is most likely found here. (The Haven :))
    Meadowlark Audio Forum

Here are a couple threads to get you started.

Meadowlark Kite Build Thread - Prime Minister Gets A New Pair of Speakers

the ancient urge to build a dual-woofer three-way

Here are Steve Hoffman's thoughts on the "2nd from TOTL old school Meadowlarks" (Blue Heron model).
    Steve Hoffman's Meadowlark Blue Heron Review

Khorn likes this.
  2. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

For a more in-depth look at the Meadowlark Kite build and impressions, you can go to the Hifihaven.org website, and look under the Meadowlark forum thread for a Kite build for a forum member. It is extremely interesting, with comments from Pat McGinty along the way. Very tempted!

Khorn likes this.
  3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

At least you’re still listening. I think more improvements and product introductions will probably be happening over the next while. My hope is Class D does get to be a contender ‘cause then eventually we all win.

RhodesSupremacy likes this.
  4. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I've owned class D amps for years from Rogue. Name me an amp that can produce more than 200 or 300 watts per channel for $4K or if you buy used from about $2.5K.

Roll some Mullard AU7s into the Rogue and voila, you have the sound of tubes w/o the heat and way more power!

Tried other Class D amps and returned them including the Wyred for Sound units but they couldn't compete sound-wise with the Rogue. The more expensive Bel Canto REF600s i also own sound almost as good but the Rogue gives more air and soundstaging, no doubt due to the Mullards.

5. Khorn

Thanks. Do you prefer the Rogue under all conditions? I’ve always loved the sound of tubes combined with SS. In my particular situation tube noise or the lack of it is critical. Do you find it quiet in that respect?

6. SoCalUser

SoCalUser Forum Resident

I like the theoretical “green” factor of a class D amplifier. The latest gallium nitride technology sounds promising, but tends to be pretty expensive. I hope it will go down in price in the future.

Khorn likes this.
  7. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Well I just bought a used PS Audio Trio c-100, my first class d amp. Although I'm somewhat worried about the negativity towards class d here, I'm looking forward to getting some more power to my speakers! Can always flip it if I hate it. I don't generally like cold, sterile sound, but any of the reviews I've read about it say it's smooth sounding with a slight nod to the warm side.

Khorn likes this.
  8. fish

fish Senior Member

Im anxious to hear what you think of it! It was on my shorter list before I chose the Marantz.
    I hear the PS Audio is Great in all ways detailed and Musical. He has a "house sound" they hold true too. Few compromises made for Musicality.
    Let us know what you think after a coupe of weeks.

jusbe, Khorn and Noel Patterson like this.
  9. Khorn

The description sounds promising. Please let us know your impressions. Hope it exceeds your expectations.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  10. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Also with Class D the technology is evolving all the time- that said still love my T amp.:drool:

jusbe and Khorn like this.
  11. Khorn

I’m starting to think with the advancement of Class D and the like we’ll have to start casting aside preconceived notions. I do believe that amplification integration can offer more of a means to accomplish a speaker designers vision and convey the same to the end user.

I believe it’s your ears that should be the final judge and do think eliminating something based on any technology limits your choices as well as gaining valuable experience. You have control. If you don’t like what you’re hearing take a pass but who knows you may be totally as well as very pleasantly surprised.

Bill Mac and Ilusndweller like this.
  12. Ilusndweller

Lets say stereos had never existed in this world, then tomorrow someone comes up with this great idea that someone needs to invent a stereo. Which route will lead to the best sound? Passive crossovers, interconnects, and speaker cables? Or using latest greatest technology to your advantage?

Khorn likes this.
  13. Ilusndweller

Meadowlark Audio Homepage (Are you ready for high definition audio?)

Meadowlark Audio Homepage (DSP, Dynamic Range, and a new bass slignment)

Meadowlark Audio Homepage (DSP- A Quick Tour)

Meadowlark Audio Homepage (Tech Talk)

And tunable to your ears via DSP.

Khorn likes this.
  14. Khorn

I guess one reason to investigate Meadowlark’s speakers is their proven track record in the design of some very good speakers in the past. That alone would peak my curiosity were I in the market. I asked someone who knows their past very well but is certainly not a Class D proponent but has enough respect for the companies expertise he recommends checking them out.

Mike-48, Melvin and Ilusndweller like this.
  15. Ilusndweller

Excellent point and shown by Steve's review of the older Blue Heron I mention in #101.

Khorn likes this.
  16. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

If I were looking for speakers, I'd certainly try to listen to Meadowlark. Another manufacturer offering active speakers is Janszen, who offer both passive and active versions of the same speakers. When I had mine upgraded a year ago, I was sorely tempted to have them converted to actives with integral nCore amps. For the time being, I decided to keep the active circuitry separate, in case anything needs service. I see active speakers in my future, though.

Khorn and Ilusndweller like this.
  17. Ilusndweller

I recently learned of Janszen (maybe from you on another thread?). They are about 10 miles from me and near my favorite restaurant, York Steak House. I will be visiting when things clear up for sure.

Khorn and Mike-48 like this.
  18. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I've never heard that particular PS Audio integrated, but I can definitely vouch for the S300 and now M700 monoblocks with Dynaudio speakers. If there's a house sound, you should be more than good. Be sure to let us know what you think my good man

Eigenvector, Noel Patterson and Khorn like this.
  19. Khorn

Wow steak and music. Nothing much better than that.

20. Noel Patterson

Your system actually helped in my decision to try it, as I knew you ran PS Audio with Dyns and were happy with it. I very much like my Brio, I just feel the Dyns will benefit from more power. Should arrive early this week, if Christmas and covid doesn't delay it.

Khorn and SirMarc like this.
  21. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Been using Wyred4Sound and Bel Canto ICEPower based Class D units for about 12 years now, don’t know what the issue is with them. Run cool, sound great.

22. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Cool man, hope you're happy with it. I think you'll appreciate the added dynamics and grip on the bass if nothing else. Be sure to let me know

Noel Patterson and Khorn like this.
  23. grainflavour

grainflavour Active Member

The Crown XLS series with DSP and the cheaper Behringer A800 are fantastic budget class D amps. In the UK the XLS range is often under £500 whilst the A800 is so cheap at around £166 that it beggars belief! I will say my previous experience has only been with an expensive NAD and then a top of the line Cambridge Audio, but still, would never go back.

fmfxray373 and Khorn like this.
  24. Noel Patterson

Well my PS Audio Trio C-100 arrived yesterday. I played a little last night, let it warm up overnight, and sat down to a handful of songs I know very well and use when I introduce a new piece of gear into my system. The amp I was using is a Rega Brio-r, class ab I believe, and of course, the PSA is class d.
    First, I realise that both amps are by no means new technology, the PSA 12 years old now and the Rega 9 or 10. But let me just say, for an audiophile with a somewhat limited budget, what you can buy either of these amps for used (both around $500 cad) and the amount of performance out of both is incredible; you can really build a very nice system on a shoestring budget!
    To use an analogy, I liken the Rega to a stew and the PSA a regular soup! (Can you tell it's lunchtime?!). The rega is thicker and more hearty, but the consistency of it hides some of the veggies underneath, or the details if you will.
    The PSA, while not thin like a stock broth, is lighter and allows you to see through to see more details. It's a faster, lighter more detailed sound. The bottom end is more defined, more shimmer and decay is present in the treble. It sounds faster and more nimble. I'm not sure if this is the character of the amp or simply the extra power? I suspect a little of both. It isn't dry or sterile like I feared I might find it, rather it's quite smooth and easy to listen to. It's also dead quiet, the music appears from a black background, where the Rega always had a faint buzz and hiss when turned up loud, with no music playing. Soundstage depth and width is very close between the two.
    So you probably think that I prefer the PSA hands down over the Rega, but I'm not so sure. There is one thing the Rega does much better, and that is bringing emotion and...is it musicality? Is that the term? The Rega, while not as detailed or quick sounding, just oozes emotion and wraps you in a big ol warm hug! And I'm not yet convinced I want to give that up for more details and power.
    Like I said, both are insanely good buys on the used market; it's a great time to be an audiophile on a budget. I'm leaving the PS Audio in for a while to see how I like living with it on a daily basis. It has opened my eyes that class d can absolutely sound wonderful, and I suspect even better now, 12 years on.

Melvin, timind, Khorn and 1 other person like this.
  25. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Cool! I was afraid you weren't gonna dig the amp. I wasn't a big fan of Class D back in the day because I found them too cold sounding. I was afraid the contrast to the Rega would be too great.

Now with the newer Class D gear designed by Darren Myers at PS Audio that I have experience with (S300 and M700 monoblocks) using your analogies, take everything you said about the Trio and add a small to medium hug for the S300, and a nice big hug for the monoblocks.

I had the same prejudices as a lot of the people on here back in the day. I'm glad I got to hear the S300 in person at a buddy's house. Completely changed my mind on modern Class D

jusbe, Khorn and Noel Patterson like this.