DCC Archive "Classic Compact Discs" label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RDK, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDK

RDK Active Member Thread Starter

Just picked up a used gold (?) cd of Ella Fitzgerald's "Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie" on the Classic Compact Discs label (with this session licensed from Verve). While I've seen this label around, it's the first disc of theirs that i've actually heard. It sounds very nice (though I don't have the regular Verve release to compare it to), but i was wondering what others thought of this audiophile label. I believe that it's the cd division of Classic Records, but i'm unfamiliar with their overall reputation. Any comments on them or their gold cd mastering?
    Ray

2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Their CD versions of Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall and Returns to Carnegie Hall are WONDERFUL :D

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I have their Chet Atkins in Hollywood CD and it's very good.

4. Unknown

Unknown Guest

The most Classic Records stuff was mastered by Bernie Grundman... yes, he did some very good remasterings, particulary the Living Stereo's on vinyl.

5. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I also would like to say... Classic records have released a lot of Decca's classical stuff on Gold... these titles were remastered by B. Hawkins in England.

6. RDK

RDK Active Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. The Ella disc does sound great, but i was a bit skeptical due to the lack of any production credits, remastering engineer, etc. As I'm sure we all know, there are gold discs and then there are "gold" discs.
    Ray

7. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

I have that Ella disk and it is by far the best cd version of the album. I also have a copy of the Sonny Rollins- The Bridge from classic records on cd, which sounds great. I also have a few of the classical cds from them that also sounds excellent. They are basically out of the CD business; they focus on DAD and Records, both of which sound very very good too usually. If you search around you can find good deals on the cd version of their catalog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.