Classic Hip Hop Year-By-Year: 1986-1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanno1ae, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I didn't like "The Chronic" when it came out, but I very recently warmed up to it. "The Chronic" came out at a time where I was starting to move away from rap because of the lyrical content. That moving away had to do with stuff that had been happening in the lives of people who were close to me at the time. I'll have to check out "Efil4zaggin".

Chief and kanno1ae like this.
  2. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

cracking thread guys! as mentioned above, just good vibes and zero nonsense

can't remember if I've posted this already, but here is a '93 playlist I've been cooking up - 93 - The Golden Age, a playlist by silkyskillz on Spotify

it's collaborative, so please - feel free to follow and add any tracks

nice one chaps!

GK, PhantomStranger and kanno1ae like this.
  3. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

kanno1ae likes this.
  4. Nice for including LL's Pink Cookies in a Plastic Bag Getting Crushed By Buildings. I thought I was the only person that remembered that song.

kanno1ae and garrincha like this.
  5. GK

GK Forum Resident

Great playlist.

kanno1ae likes this.
  6. GK

GK Forum Resident

Just bought two 12 inch singles....both kinda rare. Marley's Scratch by Marley Marl..MC Shan is the MC, but not listed. It was Shan's first record. Spoonie G Meets Sequence...Monster Jam (1980).

7. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident Thread Starter

I rarely buy 12" singles, but I also ordered a couple: "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" has a unique version on the promo 12" and so does "Doo Wop (That Thing)."

Mikey679 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  8. So much 80s Hip Hop is still only found on vinyl singles.

Mikey679, GK and kanno1ae like this.
  9. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

I've been picking up some 12" singles lately. Love the remixes that can't be found on the albums, I'm still discovering some nice remixes and b-sides. Recently picked up KRS-One's "Sound Of Da Police" 12", I had heard the b-side "Hip Hop vs. Rap" on a mixtape years ago and loved it but I hadn't heard the "Sound Of Da Police" remix. It's nicely done and has a great beat, glad I finally found a copy of it for a decent price.

PhantomStranger and kanno1ae like this.
  10. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

See that this thread is dying off.

:p

What year are we on?

11. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Last entry I saw was 1995. So with that why a little Fat Joe. Some say his best album:

[​IMG]
    Jealous One's Envy Fat Joe (1995, Relativity)

Nice throwback. Good to hear some old voices that I haven't heard in a while.

12. kanno1ae

Perhaps we should move into 1996?

13. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Damn, just gettin back into '95. Anyone mention this classic yet?

[​IMG]
    InI Center of Attention (1995, BBE Records)

Good article

14. kanno1ae

I was just listening to the track "Envy" last night from this album. I have a classic hip hop "radio station" (which can only be heard in my house at the moment), and that song came up in rotation.

MikaelaArsenault and ando here like this.
  15. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Way it goes. Connections everywhere. Hey, did U ever see The Show from '95? Something like a Hip Hop Revue plus behind the scenes business moves and interviews. My first time watching it tonight though I remember when it came out. This flick, Snoop's Murder Was The Case They Gave Me and New Jersey Drive were the biggest films that I recall which featured Hip Hop that year. Nice copy of The Show:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  16. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

17. https://www.amazon.com/Show-Soundtrack-Various-Artists/dp/B0000024KK

Of course, the documentary's soundtrack introduced the world to the Redman/Method Man pairing for the first time. Some filler of course but a number of top-flight tracks from 1990s heavyweights like Tribe and Tupac.

18. kanno1ae

I need to watch this. I've heard the soundtrack, but back when the film came out, there wasn't streaming/on-demand for movies. We had to go to Blockbuster!

19. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Ha. Standouts for me: Treach, Snoop and (especially) Biggie. And the overriding theme about how business and friendships seldom co-exist peacefully. Fun time capsule.

kanno1ae likes this.
  20. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Like the flow on this one. EP from Two Outa Millions, For You 'N Yours.

[​IMG]

21. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

'95 Tupac interview with Bill Ballamy (where he at now??) on Pac's forthcoming All Eyez On Me double lp. (Trying to ease into '96 :p )

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

23. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

24. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

If we're getting into '96, then I gotta put this one in here. I had just got my drivers license that summer and had this rattling my windows that fall. Love the title track and how they used that monologue from "Taxi Driver" at the beginning.

25. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Muddy Waters Redman (1996, Def Jam)

Funk Doctah Spock, Reggie Noble, aka Redman released one of the illest lps in 1996 with Muddy Waters. Sonically, it has nowhere near the production value of The Roots' Illadelph Halflife, my other all time favorite from this year, but the grimy funk is a part of what makes it bump. Noble is plain nuts on this record; the skits are hilarious, his nasty staccato word spitting is in prime form and the mood is a consistently in line with the thickest funk since George Clinton split Parliament. And this mofo is from Newark, right up the road from my home town (Trenton), which might have something to do with my love for the album. Brick City's finest in great form right here. Top 30 Best Hip Hop Albums of All Time, easily. And I know it's tiresome hearing superlatives thrown around like that but in this case, it's true. Caught this demo by VinRican breaking down the source of the album's samples:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019