Classic Records - Frank Zappa - Hot Rats on vinyl! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinymontgomery, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Contrary opinions are also correct. I've always loved the sound of the Blue Bizarre, which is indeed very clean.
    To me, the new one sounds warmer and fuller, but what I most like is the amount of detail I can now pick out.
    I do think the original BB has more punch and edge to it, and I will definitely keep listening to it as well.

As far as I'm concerned, both the new one and the old BB are must-have's.

Saw a cartoon the other day- Bank Teller aiming a gun at a customer - "Give me your money!"

2. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

Thanks for the info, Skip. I think I will have to a get a copy. :goodie:

3. Skip Reynolds

Yeah, but what if the contrasting opinions are right?

Your Mileage May Vary Disclaimer:

I'm not sure I can be objective about Hot rats- I have REALLY loved this album for nearly 40 years.

4. Wergeland

Wergeland Formerly spanishjohnny

Bought this one at my local shop today. 200g. Quality all the way! Wonderful mastering job, perfect pressing and immaculate coverart! Deadquiet and a wiiide soundstage. Wow!

5. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

Me too. :agree:

6. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

No worries... we won't invoice you if the Bizarre upstages the Classic... :cool:

It is Hot Rats, after all.

Worth the effort.

7. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

I just discovered the Classic Records reissue of Hot Rats a couple days ago, and naturally I was thrilled. This was my favorite Zappa album by far, even through that long period of years when I never touched his stuff. Hot Rats would be the one CD I'd pull out and listen to. Thankfully, when I got into turntables, I rediscovered Zappa and was amazed at how much better the original analog lp's sounded.

Anyway, I have a blue Bizarre pressing of Hot Rats, and it sounds excellent. I will need more time to make direct comparisons, but to my ears, the Classic Records version is spectacular! I'm hearing a lot more of the wind instruments in the background, and the soundstage is just fuller and more detailed. I also just happened to be playing the CD version at work yesterday, so that was a good reference point.

I should also say that I just bought a Dynavector 10x5 for my Sony PS-X75, so I'll need time to become used to that monster cart.

For anybody with a turntable, Classic Records HR is essential. It's really a "killer ap" for analog; perfect to convert your digital friends over to the realm of turntables and records. I do hope this album will be widely available in stores like Best Buy, so that as many people as possible buy it. Like every other Zappa fan, I would love to see more of his albums reissued. I wish the Zappa family would reissue everything in the analog format!

8. Skip Reynolds

Alright! It's not just me.

9. Daniel Thomas

Yeah, definitely more music there. But, as I've said, I just got the Dyna 10x5, and I don't know how much that affects things. My previous cart was a Denon DL-160, which is really an excellent little cart, but it did get muddy when dealing with lots of instruments. Classical and big band jazz were its weak points.

I'll have to do some comparing between this Hot Rats reissue and my blue Bizarre version, and see just where things stand.

10. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I've got the British Reprise version and I can confirm that the Classic Records 200 gram Hot Rats leaves it in the shade. I was thrilled from the moment it started playing - as others have said, the instruments seem more distinct from one another and it reveals detail you never noticed before. (For me, it was the drums I first noticed.) Also, the Reprise could be a bit hard on the ears on some tracks and the Classic is noticeably gentler, making it a more relaxing and enjoyable listen.

11. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Has anyone picked up the standard weight vinyl version? If so, please comment!

12. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Somehow, this thread slipped by me before... I am astonished to learn that the original mix is back in pristine vinyl form, tweaked at the hands of Bernie Grundman.

The original mix is so much better than the CD version. I can't wait to hear Peaches En Regalia in it's original form in great sound quality.

13. Daniel Thomas

I bought the 200-gram version, so I can't comment on the 15-gram version. I've been switching between the Classic Records Hot Rats and my vintage Bizarre pressing, and the Bizarre version seems very muddy and dark by comparison. Bernie Grudman did a fantastic job making Hot Rats sound fresh and new - you could probably convince newcomers that this is a new band.

This is definitely a fantastic reissue, and as far as I'm concerned, it leaves the old version in the dust. And it completely smokes the CD. And I'm one who loved the CD for many years.

Get this album. Get it now. We want more Zappa on vinyl!!

14. thetrout

thetrout Forum Resident

I got it. My comments echo those of the 200g owners - it sounds fantastic. Unless you just like heavier vinyl in general, I see no need to throw down the extra dough.

15. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Got the 200g today as a birthday gift and I'm really happy with the sound.

Off topic... I've never owned any Classic releases before, although I've been meaning to buy some of the Who titles. Question, though.. does their Who Sell Out have the repeating groove sound at the end?

16. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Glad to hear most people are thrilled with the Classic HOT RATS. I'll have to upgrade my Blue Bizarre pressing (although unfortunately I only *just* bought it!)

Yes, Classic's version does have the repeated inner groove thing on THE WHO SELL OUT. I wonder though if it's exactly the same as it was cut on the original UK LP... i.e. does it repeat at the precise same moment or not. I have no idea how difficult that would be to reproduce exactly. Previously I only heard the US reissue where the "Track Records" bit is there but fades out before the needle gets to the runoff groove.

Feel free to check the other Classic Records threads - you'll find that most people are happy with almost all of the Who releases from them. Myself included!

17. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit Forum Resident

I got the skinny one! Although I don't own anything to compare this to (the crowd gasps in disbelief!), I can say that it is very flat, very quiet and very bitchin'!

I've attempted to snag an original Hot Rats on ebay for a year or so, willing to pay $30ish for NM and was unsuccessful.

I've gotta say, my expectations were not that high. However, less than a minute into the record, I started up cranking up the volume with a sense of purpose. Yeah, I can recommend the skinny vinyl - it's pretty damn nice.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  18. Scott Strobel

Scott Strobel Forum Resident

I got it and it sounds great! I usually get their 200g albums, but they didn't have one in stock where I purchased. So I decided to give the 150g a try and it's a keeper! I don't know if there is any sound difference in the heavier version? but I'm happy with this one and hear no need to upgrade for me.
    Flat, quiet and killer sounding what more do you need? :righton:

19. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

I just listened to the original mix and LOVE the drums being so up front. One question: is it my ears or speakers, or is the piano in the original mix of "Little Umbrellas" almost totally inaudible? The 87 mix has the piano really up there, so I just want to make sure nothing's wrong with my setup.

20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Is this new issue that much better than the Barking Pumpkin label?

21. It >is< on the BP label AFAIK.

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The '87 remix has the piano much louder than the original mix.

23. The grand piano? From memory (I'm too busy to check with my original pressing at the moment), it >is< low in the mix. Much lower than some other (electric) keyboard.

If you rely on the drastic remix of '87, there are lots of things that are way up in the mix, that used to be way low, and vice-versa.

24. I was wondering - since I am getting slowly but surely worked up and warmed up to the new version by these comments - can you guys that have experience with owning BOTH 150 g and 200 g versions of anything tell me something: does this factor require a different specific VTA adjustment? In other words, can one judge a 200 g copy against a 150 g one without correcting the VTA? I don't have on-the-fly VTA adjustment on my turntable and am usually not too crazy about fussing with that.

25. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Yeah, after listening to it with headphones, the mix makes more sense. That said, it's still an adjustment after years of only knowing the 87 mixes. In some ways, it's almost like hearing a completely different recording. But honestly, is there any better musical...feeling of release than that sax solo in "Peaches En Regalia?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.